dcsimg

Getting fence estimate

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I need a fence built to contain our 2 year-old brother in the backyard. I have a fence contractor coming to give me an estimate on a 6′ cedar privacy fence.

What are the important questions I should be asking of this guy?

Eg, materials, post settings, etc? Thanks.

NENETH GERONA
    Tusco Inc.
    4000 Industrial Drive Cottondale, AL 35453
    205-553-8616
    www.tuscoinc.com

You might need a permit, ask about setting posts – are they digging a hole and putting posts in with concrete? What kind of fasteners for the pickets?

Orange County, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

It would help to know where you are. Considerations like frost and insects are important for your questions.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

If it’s a cedar fence, he should be using stainless fasteners…. galvanized will leave stains on cedar.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Will he get a survey or are the corner pins of the lot easily defined. I have seen so many fences build on the wrong side of the line and the cost to move them is significant. A lot of guys just say “well, that was where a full panel ended up and I did not want to cut one”

Proper foundations are another. Depth and set in concrete or compacted stone. I have been asked to take a look at a lot of fences that waved in the breeze because they were not properly set in the ground.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It would help to know where you are. Considerations like frost and insects are important for your questions.

Location is a big factor. Building differs in different parts of the country.

Thanks everyone. We’ve started working with our fence now. Your inputs are so helpful. 🙂

NENETH GERONA
    Tusco Inc.
    4000 Industrial Drive Cottondale, AL 35453
    205-553-8616
    www.tuscoinc.com

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Down here in Florida fences are subject to hurricane codes.

So post distances and fence heights are part of the equation. The building code also governs post depth, how much concrete, diameter of holes dug, how may rails, type of fasteners and how many, so really not a whole lot of variation you can choose if you are getting it permitted. The fence location has to be drawn on a recent survey and showing you are not crossing over the property line.

Really the only choice as a home owner have is the material (wood PVC chain linked or masonry), height (which dictates a lot of other things), gate swing direction, color and type of gate hardware, and whether you want shadow box or board on board. The good looking side will face your neighbors.

I personally hate the 8′ panels. They don’t always mount right, and if you have a slope, they look like crap.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I personally hate the 8′ panels. They don’t always mount right, and if you have a slope, they look like crap.

I agree entirely with that. They never seem to have a finished look to them. I can understand why they are popular with the DIY folks, though.

Here, the main concern is frost. If the posts are set less than 4′ in the ground, the frost will flip them out in the first hard winter. Further north the minimum is 5′.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Here, the main concern is frost. If the posts are set less than 4′ in the ground, the frost will flip them out in the first hard winter. Further north the minimum is 5′.

We don’t have a frost issue in Florida, so our rule is 1/3 minimum in the ground. So a 6′ post has to embed 24″ into the ground, post holes 10″ diameter, 2 bags of concrete per hole. Bottom of hole needs to be dug further and replace with gravel for drainage. Some will “tar” the feet of wood posts to protect them from water termite intrusion.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The termites are so bad here we always use steel post these days.

2 year old brother, or did you mean son.
    Good luck with the fence build, looking forward to hearing and possibly seeing some pictures of the finished fence.

This house we bought almost 6 years ago, it was done with 6×6 treated posts and they have been put in say about 12 years ago, treated wood sitting in concrete,
    The unfortunate thing is, now I have a few posts that have rotted, and will have to be replaced soon
    Not going to be a fun job 🙁
    Anyway, hope you are satisfied with the build.

Doobie

Good luck with the fence build, looking forward to hearing and possibly seeing some pictures of the finished fence.

The OP posted in April. Fence is likely already built.

The OP posted in April. Fence is likely already built.

Haha, you see, this time it was my brain fart lol
    I should have looked further up at the dates. I was just responding to the other comments
    Thanks Kevin

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The termites are so bad here we always use steel post these days.

How did termites get to Hawaii? They can’t stand the molten lava!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How did concrete get to Hawaii?

Everything come over on big boats, the rock and sand are mined here.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.234 seconds