dcsimg

General Metal cutting saw discussion

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Well lets get things back to productive talk.

started a new job yesterday and spent it laying out and setting track. Today I got to start putting in studs and I broke out the outlaw “skil metal worm”

She had no problem at all cutting full bundles of 20ga studs at a time “2 cut process” Skil did add a nice clear piece of plastic to the shroud allowing you to see the line in front of the blade. At this point I am not sure how useful it is. If this were a sidewinder it would help a ton as you stand to the side and lean over the saw. Maybe its just me but I stand behind a worm, leaning forward to the left to see through the window makes the saw less manageable. That being said skill did add an extra long fence in the front that is a huge help in cutting the line. Amazing how an inch longer fence makes that much difference but it does. Hard to explain really maybe tomorrow ill shoot a pic if i remember. Oh and just if anyone was curious no diamond knock out for this saw

Since i did see Skil is reading the boards let me add some wish lists. A tool in this price range really should come with a case. I also would not mind seeing a removable cord but this is just a perc and not a huge disappointment.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I came across my first huge disappointment with this new Saw. the the Diablo blade that comes with the saw is junk I am now missing all the teeth all the points on this blade after cutting maybe 10 Bunks of 20 gauge stud. I know Diablo is the sister company to skil and Bosch but they better start sending Tenryu blades with it or people will be upset. $320 Saw And the blade lasts one day.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

These are cell phone photos I put the saw in the car already I will take better photos when I get home with the camera

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Daniel very interesting observations on your new saw. Yes a saw should come with a case.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

@crotalusco wow, that’s to bad Daniel,
    Hopefully they will chime in and get you out a new and better blade, thanks for the unfortunate update.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I came across my first huge disappointment with this new Saw. the the Diablo blade that comes with the saw is junk I am now missing all the teeth all the points on this blade after cutting maybe 10 Bunks of 20 gauge stud. I know Diablo is the sister company to skil and Bosch but they better start sending Tenryu blades with it or people will be upset. $320 Saw And the blade lasts one day.

That is a little disappointing on the blade life.
    How long will a Tenryu blade last on average?

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

wow that is disappointing the blade can only handle a day of work. I guess you’ll replace it with a tenryu blade and lets see how long that one can take it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds like a good time to compare a Tenryu to a Diablo blade

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Maybe I just got a bad blade or maybe I pushed it through that pipe to fast for the demo. I wasnt going to baby it. I need to test it as it would be used on the job. At 70$ a blade I wont test a diablo unless they send me one. On 20ga I should get a couple weeks from a blade. We use these saws on structural studs and even brick lintels. I know we get more time than this. I was surprised as I like diablo wood blades. Otherwise I do like this saw

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

A couple shots of current project

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Daniel,
    Shame the blade did not perform as expected. They are (carbide blades) expected/touted to last 2/3 rds longer than an abrasive blade.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Back in the early 90s when I was R&Ding steel blades for Tenryu, their steel pro blades I could count the number of cuts I got with them. I was cutting 18ga. right on the stack. I found when I waxed the blade I got 1/3 more cuts from a blade. On a side note I’ve talking the Tenryu blades are my favorite on all the forums I’m for a long time. The Red blades are junk.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Back in the early 90s when I was R&Ding steel blades for Tenryu, their steel pro blades I could count the number of cuts I got with them. I was cutting 18ga. right on the stack. I found when I waxed the blade I got 1/3 more cuts from a blade.

Wow good to know that lube really extends the blade life and is worth the effort. Always figured it was but nice to have empirical data.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

well its time to write up my review, will be working on it tonight.

Maybe I just got a bad blade or maybe I pushed it through that pipe to fast for the demo. I wasnt going to baby it. I need to test it as it would be used on the job. At 70$ a blade I wont test a diablo unless they send me one. On 20ga I should get a couple weeks from a blade. We use these saws on structural studs and even brick lintels. I know we get more time than this. I was surprised as I like diablo wood blades. Otherwise I do like this saw

Wow that is disappointed, as I like you have really good luck with diablo for wood.

Will

Daniel, thanks for your input. Means so much when someone is putting it in actual use. Interesting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

well its time to write up my review, will be working on it tonight.

Looking forward to it Daniel.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

These are cell phone photos I put the saw in the car already I will take better photos when I get home with the camera

I have had the same problem with other manufacturers blades. The 20 ga seems almost to light to cut with the metal blades, to much vibration and they seem to rip the teeth off of the blades. heavier ga studs seem to cut better and with less blade wear.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have had the same problem with other manufacturers blades. The 20 ga seems almost to light to cut with the metal blades, to much vibration and they seem to rip the teeth off of the blades. heavier ga studs seem to cut better and with less blade wear.

Wow, I assumed it would be the other way around. Very interesting

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Wow, I assumed it would be the other way around. Very interesting

It is interesting how you need to enter the metal right so you don’t mess up the teeth. The blade does like a solid metal to cut nicely.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.491 seconds