dcsimg

General Metal cutting saw discussion

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

One of these new blades on the 14″ abrasive would be awesome.

No it would not!! Completely different saw

You can purchase 14″ carbide blades with 1″ arbor and 1800 Max RPM for use on 14″ chop saw.

As long as the RMP’s are not exceeded there is no issue with using a carbide blade on a chop saw.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Lets see if i can answer some of those questions.

edge cleanup — depends on how clean you need it. You might if you run the saw through fast like i did in the video or depending on how old the blade is. Once i start losing a couple teeth I do notice there is some jagged edges. So for finish steel work I would run a file on it yes.

I have run the bosch, milwaukee, makita early version, hilti and panasonic. All of them are good tools and work well so if thats the system you run go ahead. I have not tried any brushless. I do feel the bosch cuts quicker, and feels as if it works less. In the end the only one i would not let someone buy is the hilti. While it will do the job it is bigger heavier slower and crazy costly.

Yes they make 7″ blades and they will run in a wood saw. I would have no issue with doing so every so often. Though i would not recommend it for long term metal cutting. Metal saws are geared differently have a better shroud for the metal shavings and the motor is protected as stated. If you do though i would suggest long sleeves and a face shield.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So what exactly do the shavings look like? I spect something like ya get with a metal cutting jigsaw?

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

So what exactly do the shavings look like? I spect something like ya get with a metal cutting jigsaw?

yup but they fly with a bit more force

Clev08
    Pro

Great video, it really shows how much faster the cordless is than the grinder and the Skilsaw is than the cordless. I have not had to cut much metal yet so I usually just use my grinder.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ok, How do you think the CSM180 would do with 12gauge galvanized sheet metal and/or 3/16″-1/4″ aluminum plate? For long distances like 4′-8′ at a time?

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Ok, How do you think the CSM180 would do with 12gauge galvanized sheet metal and/or 3/16″-1/4″ aluminum plate? For long distances like 4′-8′ at a time?

one time deal or more often? I have used it on 12ga but only crosscutting 6″ studs. It does it but a corded saw does better. if just the once i would just get a metal blade for your circular saw. If something you would do more often you would be better with the skillsaw. The 180 would probably do it though, a good blade and let the blade do the work. I just cant say i havent cut alum with it. I did rip a 10′ 18ga track with it ok

if you are spending points id saw get one you have nothing to lose. If spending $ you might want to consider one of those other options. I am pretty sure both ferrous and non-ferrous blades are on the piggy list in 7 1/4

@crotalusco some great information you gave Daniel, thanks to you, that Bosch metal saw is on my want list.
    Do you feel / notice any difference in the saw, vibration wise when a couple of carbide teeth are missing from the blade, obviously I wouldn’t use it for much longer in that state, but if you are in a pinch or almost finished either the day or pieces being cut

Anonymous
    Inactive

one time deal or more often? I have used it on 12ga but only crosscutting 6″ studs. It does it but a corded saw does better. if just the once i would just get a metal blade for your circular saw. If something you would do more often you would be better with the skillsaw. The 180 would probably do it though, a good blade and let the blade do the work. I just cant say i havent cut alum with it. I did rip a 10′ 18ga track with it ok

if you are spending points id saw get one you have nothing to lose. If spending $ you might want to consider one of those other options. I am pretty sure both ferrous and non-ferrous blades are on the piggy list in 7 1/4

I do a lot of metal work but this particular project should be a one time thing as I rarely have the need to cut galvanized sheet metal, I come across the need to cut aluminum or steel a lot more. I used to have access to a shear and brake for all of it but I don’t have that privileged anymore. So, I would assume the 180 comes with a ferrous metal blade? Looks like I’d need to order a non-ferrous blade with it for aluminum also..Hmmmm

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

As long as the RMP’s are not exceeded there is no issue with using a carbide blade on a chop saw.

Did you just read that on the internet or have you really tried it for a long period of time????
    NO it won’t 2 different saws!!!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Lets see if i can answer some of those questions.

Thank you for taking your time to answer the questions Daniel. Lots of good info.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Did you just read that on the internet or have you really tried it for a long period of time????

Dirty is correct here. Most of the abrasive chop saw have RPM’s ranging 3500-4000. Where the new Dry cut saws are much slower. Closer to 1300 RPM’s.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have to agree with Dirty on this one, the material clamping is much better on a dry cut saw than on a standard chhop saw. they are much different. They also have better blade guards and chip deflectors on the dry cut saws.

Skil_Product_team
    Pro
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois

Some good comments and discussions going on. We’ll do our best to answer any questions you have about our saws.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Dirty is correct here. Most of the abrasive chop saw have RPM’s ranging 3500-4000. Where the new Dry cut saws are much slower. Closer to 1300 RPM’s.

The 12 In. Dry Cut Saw from Skilsaw runs on 1500 RPM (no load)
    And the 14 In. Abrasive Chop Saw runs on 3800 RPM (no load)
    I just wanted to toss in some numbers from the new Skilsaw’s

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the ideas y’all, I was afraid of the RPM differences. And now that I know there is a BIG difference I’m not going to put a dry cut metal blade on an abrasive saw or a normal wood circular saw, Plus the differences in the blade guards/chip deflector would be another safety issue and I just can’t take the chance with that either. I really really want to get into a dry cut saw, But for safety sake this isn’t the way to go. And I highly recommend no one else tries to do it either, It just wouldn’t be worth it.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

You read it on the internet didn’t you….

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Guess I should tell my buddy to take back his Dewalt DW872 because you say it’s not the right saw to use a dry cut Carbide blade on? And tell Dewalt that they have been selling a saw that should not be on the market?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Anonymous
    Inactive

Guess I should tell my buddy to take back his Dewalt DW872 because you say it’s not the right saw to use a dry cut Carbide blade on? And tell Dewalt that they have been selling a saw that should not be on the market?

Easy guys, Yous are talking apples vs oranges here. Obviously the Dewalt 872 is made for a carbide blade as the rpm is only 1300, Like said above abrasive chop saws run close to 4000rpm which would be a bad idea to put a carbide blade on. They are two different style of saws for two different types of blades and shouldn’t be interchanged……….Dabbs

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

You go from this,,,,

One of these new blades on the 14″ abrasive would be awesome.

To this and no I never said that. The saw listed below is not a abrasive saw.

Guess I should tell my buddy to take back his Dewalt DW872 because you say it’s not the right saw to use a dry cut Carbide blade on?

You really know how to twist words around. Do you ever do work you can show pics of or is it all fluff???

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.286 seconds