dcsimg

General Metal cutting saw discussion

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

We seem to have been discussing these saws in multiple boards. Maybe its time to have of its own.

Here is a short basic demo that i hope answers a few questions for some of you. Sorry I didnt have any unistrut to demo but if the galvanized pipe cutting should do

@crotalusco man Daniel great little video, you can tell how comfortable you are with tools, just the way you handled all those tasks.

I have to say that new saw cuts like butter,
    After seeing that Bosch cordless cut those pieces, I want one.
    It went through so easily. Thank you Daniel for the time and video.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nice job on the video crotalusco,, how did the saw shroud do at containing the steel chips?? do you need arm protection?

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

What blade was in the worm drive?

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

do not need blade guard for arm holding the saw. Some pieces do come out the front so bare flesh in front of the saw will get some sting. I have always been ok with short sleeves and safety glasses.

The blade that came with the skilsaw worm is a diablo demon steel blade

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

do not need blade guard for arm holding the saw. Some pieces do come out the front so bare flesh in front of the saw will get some sting. I have always been ok with short sleeves and safety glasses.

That’s good to know. some years back when we were leading the country in steel home production Tenryu let me R&D there steel pro blades. Each monday I’d cut the rafter for the 10 homes that would be stacked that week. With the regular skil saw I’d need full arm and face shield on to protect me.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

That’s good to know. some years back when we were leading the country in steel home production Tenryu let me R&D there steel pro blades. Each monday I’d cut the rafter for the 10 homes that would be stacked that week. With the regular skil saw I’d need full arm and face shield on to protect me.

The only time i really get the sting is when i hang studs for soffit/bulkheads and use the saw to cut them to height using my left hand as counter force. A little sting and little burn marks, just like you might get with an abrasive saws. The blade in the bosch cordless right now is a couple week old tenryu

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Daniel,
    ThanX for the video.
    It looks like the SKIL has no problems going through anything you put in front of it.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Thanks for the video crotalusco. The new Skill looks like a great saw. The little 18v Bosch has my interest as of right now.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

The bosch cordless is great for all day light gauge. Without a doubt the bosch cordless is the best on the market, It is just faster than the others. I have cut up to 12ga with it, However its not the best choice for all day cutting. The Milwaukee one will cut brick lintels 1/4″ if you take it easy and let the saw do the work. The skilsaw has more power without question. I can feel that just by turning it on. I cannot wait to get it on a good job and give it a proper workout

Attachments:
    madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Thanks for uploading that video daniel.
    The CSM180 goes thru the material very smooth. Looks like a tiny powerful saw.
    the skilsaw just tops it off.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Without a doubt the bosch cordless is the best on the market, It is just faster than the others

I’ve been using my Makita for a year or 2 before the bosch came out. I have not upgraded to the brushless model yet. I have cut 5/16 steel with it.

Attachments:
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The bosch cordless is great for all day light gauge. Without a doubt the bosch cordless is the best on the market, It is just faster than the others.

I have not had as varied amount of brands to compare mine with but to date my Bosch metal cutting saw has exceeded my expectations when cutting metal.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve only ever used the old fashion abrasive wheels to cut metal, Man oh man I’m definitely going to get into these metal cutting blades. It appears like they don’t even leave a burr

I’ve got a little job coming up that I’ll need to cut some 12gauge galvanized sheet metal, Looks like that little cordless Bosch is just what I need.

Or,
    Is it possible to put a metal cutting blade on a regular circular saw? Perhaps there would be an RPM issue? Good or bad idea?

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

oh wow that is impressive, do you need to do any edge clean up afterwards? I wonder what the max thickness it can handle.

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Great video, I’m really glad that you were able to show the little Bosch along to the others. Looks like something else I will have to add to my tool collection.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Or,
    Is it possible to put a metal cutting blade on a regular circular saw? Perhaps there would be an RPM issue? Good or bad idea?

@Dabbs,
    RPM would be one thing to be cautious about and the metal saw would have a more enclosed motor to protect from the metal dust.

One of these new blades on the 14″ abrasive would be awesome.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Or,

Yes it will work fine.

One of these new blades on the 14″ abrasive would be awesome.

No it would not!! Completely different saw

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

maybe I am wrong but isn’t torque important too when cutting metal, not just speed? thats why skilsaw choose a worm drive saw?

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

woodman_412

That’s a great vid and demo Daniel, thanks for posting. It really gives a clear look at how much difference there is in cutting speed between the 3. Looking at the new metal saws lately has me wishing that I cut more metal and actually needed one, they look great.

Dan

danpattison.com

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.420 seconds