dcsimg

General 14" bandsaw

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It’s a bit of a bear. I am going to raise it up about 8″ and add a set of wheels. I have always found the tables to be rather low for any curved/detail work.

I brought it home for $500

Very good price on that saw Brad. Hard to pass up one that nice for that price.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I think that this is a great saw for the price and it looks like you have ironed out the trouble areas. Should run well with the right blade and tension. These smaller saws do not necessarily have the springs to tension wide blades. I think a 1/2 inch blade would work well for resawing.

I agree with this as well. It just doesn’t have the leverage in the tension handle to get the 3/4″ blade tight. I can’t say for sure, but I think the one piece frame is more rigid. Not sure if that’s in my head or not but it’s OK.

nice saw, it will be interesting to hear your comparisons on the General vs the Laguna.

Brad, I was surprised when you said you moved out your Laguna for all the good things said about their units. Now that you have adjusted the General unit, it sounds like a nice piece. Setup if definitely the key.

I think the Laguna is a nice machine, but it’s pricey. I think I paid just under $2500 for my unit quite a few years ago. It had the ceramic guides etc but it was still a 14″ saw. A great 14″ saw but I think the general is better value for the money. The Laguna’s also hold their value better. I sold mine for 2K with all the extras I had for it. The General has two speeds, a nicer fence, a rack and pinion upper guide, a decent size motor (1.5hp), cast wheels etc. Is it a lower class machine, perhaps, but it is going to suit my ultimate goal, to have two bandsaws.

The newer SUV 14″ from Laguna has all these features as well with a 3hp motor.

BUT, I want a bigger saw for resaw. 18″ minimum. Most likely the Italian LT18 from Laguna. That’s a beuatiful saw for resawing.

Man $500 for that saw was a steel. Hard to believe anyone would put it together so poorly. Should serve you well when set up properly.

generally are these saws put together by the manufacturer or the person buying it. if i put it together and it was running rough i’d be calling up the company and asking them what i need to do to fix it. general is a pretty decent company to deal with, i hope everything works out for you.

It appears that either the dealers or the manufacture puts these together as their are no instructions for it in the user manual I have. The couple adds I have seen state fully assembled. Still odd that he didn’t try and set it up better (or right). But to be honest, lots of guys (people) have no clue. They buy something and plug it in, expecting it to work. On this saw, his loss… My gain!

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

redwood
    Pro

Sounds like you got a great deal on that saw Brad. Luckily you have the experience to work it into shape.

My Shop Fox came basically fully assembled. I just had to bolt the saw to the base and put the table on. Instruction manual was actually very good and went through all the adjustments required, as well as a trouble shooting section.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

This saw looks similar to the Powermatic models. I really like the big PM units, but they are very expensive. I think it should work well once set up. I would like to get a smaller saw for scrolling and curves or a bigger saw dedicated to resaw. One of these days. Changing blades is a PITA sometimes.

Orange County, CA

I agree with this as well. It just doesn’t have the leverage in the tension handle to get the 3/4″ blade tight. I can’t say for sure, but I think the one piece frame is more rigid. Not sure if that’s in my head or not but it’s OK.

The one piece steel frame is more rigid than the older style two-piece units. The spine is very strong and overall they can get a lighter weight saw that still runs smooth. I think you got a great deal on this machine.

Orange County, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I think the Laguna is a nice machine, but it’s pricey. I think I paid just under $2500 for my unit quite a few years ago. It had the ceramic guides etc but it was still a 14″ saw. A great 14″ saw but I think the general is better value for the money. The Laguna’s also hold their value better. I sold mine for 2K with all the extras I had for it. The General has two speeds, a nicer fence, a rack and pinion upper guide, a decent size motor (1.5hp), cast wheels etc. Is it a lower class machine, perhaps, but it is going to suit my ultimate goal, to have two bandsaws.

The newer SUV 14″ from Laguna has all these features as well with a 3hp motor.

BUT, I want a bigger saw for resaw. 18″ minimum. Most likely the Italian LT18 from Laguna. That’s a beuatiful saw for resawing.

Really good plan, Brad. That 18″ will be perfect for resawing.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I think so too. My only thought is that the 18″ isn’t big enough! I would really like to find an old unit to purchase but they just don’t come up all that often and I really don’t want to travel to get one.

Brad T

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I think so too. My only thought is that the 18″ isn’t big enough! I would really like to find an old unit to purchase but they just don’t come up all that often and I really don’t want to travel to get one.

lol just buy this one the 30inch tannewitz bandsaw.

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/the-swap-meet/the-swap-meet-aa/1031817-30-tannewitz-bandsaw-price-drop

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I use my band saw for metal fabrication, helps to cut away a lot of the metal that is not needed, then finishing the piece on the belt/disc sander.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I use my band saw for metal fabrication, helps to cut away a lot of the metal that is not needed, then finishing the piece on the belt/disc sander.

i had to get two of them, one for metal and one for wood. I do the same with the metal one, cut away excess and grind them down with the 2×72 belt grinder.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@thedude306
    Brad, When you say old unit. You talking like an older 14″? Rockwell/Beaver/Delta?
    What would you use that one for?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Brad, here’s a project for you to try..

That is an awesome steal, just goes to show that the guys who can afford to buy the big toys, don’t always know how to set them up or use them. The way you describe it, it seems like an hour or two of troubleshooting and tweaking yielded a very good return on investment, enjoy it 🙂

Will

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Brad, When you say old unit. You talking like an older 14″? Rockwell/Beaver/Delta?

Nope. I would be talking about an 30″ Oliver, Crecent, Yates or even that Tannewitz r-ice posted.

Brad T

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Nice buy Brad, I am a fan of General / GI and I’ve checked out that saw at the dealer here. I’ve heard some complaints about the General bandsaws but I think you found the problem is that people don’t know how and don’t take the time to set them up properly. $500 for that saw is a hell of a deal, that’s almost $.25 on the dollar! I’ve been keeping my eye out for a 14″, I would love a bigger saw but with the basement shop space it’s too much to squeeze in to go much bigger, hope you like the saw once you get it all dialed in.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Nope. I would be talking about an 30″ Oliver, Crecent, Yates or even that Tannewitz r-ice posted.

AH, larger.. Okay.

I tried to check out that link to the Tannerwitz but because I’m not a member there, the pictures will not display.

— Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

lol just buy this one the 30inch tannewitz bandsaw.

https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/the-swap-meet/the-swap-meet-aa/1031817-30-tannewitz-bandsaw-price-drop

Here’s one of the pics..

Attachments:
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Here’s one of the pics..

@smallerstick
    Thanks for the pic. That thing looks like a beast. What would the re-saw size on that? Picture looks deceiving.

— Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Here’s one of the pics..

@smallerstick,
    Thanks for the pic. That thing looks like a beast. What would the re-saw size on that? Picture looks deceiving.

If the throut is 30″, I would say the resaw capacity has to be 20″. You’re right, that is a beast, but the price is really not too bad.

MTRoads
    Pro
    Near Glacier National Park, MT

Congrats on a great deal on what looks like a very nice bandsaw. Sounds like you have things set up to get it put to work.

In reading about your tensioning issue with larger blades, what method are you using to tension test the blades?

Stan
    From the Northwest corner of Montana.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.701 seconds