dcsimg

General 14" bandsaw

This topic contains 39 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  MTRoads 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)
  • Author

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

So I sold my 14″ laguna to my brother and picked up this gem from a friend of a friend. He always had trouble with it and it’s been in storage for a few years. The table needs a little TLC but other wise I can say it’s almost brand new. It’s a variable speed saw (adj pulleys) and the paint isn’t worn off them yet!

IMG_3357 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

IMG_3356 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

It always amazes me how poorly something can be put together. The adj rack and pinion was way out of wack. The bearings moved almost 3/8″ front to back from it’s lowest point to the highest.

The lower wheel was put on with the spacer on the wrong side and it was not torqued to spec. It was REALLY out of alignment. I’m not a big believer on co-planer on a crowned wheel but this is bad…

that’s 3/4″ off the level…

IMG_3362 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

And the bearing guides were put on wrong. You can’t even adj the bottom guide if it’s wrong?? Quite obvious this saw has never been set up!! I just wonder if it was a floor model or if the guy put it together himself. The dual rollers are for the top, but the bracket (with the allen key access on the upper left side) is needed for the bottom! YIKES.

IMG_3361 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I think your right it’s brand new doesn’t look like it made many cuts . Is it to heavy to move around when not in use . How much you pay for the new saw .

Always willing to learn .

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It’s a bit of a bear. I am going to raise it up about 8″ and add a set of wheels. I have always found the tables to be rather low for any curved/detail work.

I brought it home for $500

Brad T

Doobie
    Pro

Good deal if you can get it set up good and it stays aligned. Fingers crossed it turns out that way for you Brad!

What’s the max blade width it can take?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

It claims a 1″ but I can’t see it. I had a hard enough time getting the 3/4″ blade tensioned. I might go down to a 5/8″ blade for resaw. We will see how it goes. these blades are 112″ and all I have are 93.5″ blades.

It cuts well as far as I can tell. Both wheels have very little run out (better then my old Laguna) and the rest is just set up. The blade that was with it is junk and moves front to back on the wheels about 1/8th of an inch. I can feel a slight kink in it at the weld. I also have to glue down the rubber tires but other then that it’s good to go.

I’ve found with most machines it’s all about the set up!

Brad T

It’s a bit of a bear. I am going to raise it up about 8″ and add a set of wheels. I have always found the tables to be rather low for any curved/detail work.

I brought it home for $500

I would agree with you on the height of the work table . Will you use wheel Locks on all wheels .

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I would agree with you on the height of the work table . Will you use wheel Locks on all wheels .

I’m thinking I will use the same castors I used on my bench, a set of these:

http://www.rockler.com/workbench-caster-kit-4-pack

They are holding up well and will allow me to set the bandsaw down for a rock solid base.

Brad T

Doobie
    Pro

What kind of dust collection ports does it have?

How old is it?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Dual 4″ ports. Mfg date has it as an 2011

Brad T

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

That’s a really good find, Brad, and you’re right, set up is everything in a band saw. Lucky for you it’s almost brand new. A little bit of tinkering and you will be good to go.
    If it will take a 1″ blade there may be an accessory spring available to give you the tension you need.
    I wish mine had even a single dust port.

There are only two ways to do things; the right way and again.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Brad, it sounds like you found yourself a heck a nice saw that someone just didn’t know how to use.

I went with a buddy several years ago to look at a Jeep Wrangler that “wasn’t running right”…turns out one of the spark plug wires was unplugged. I pushed it back onto the plug, and it ran like a champ! My buddy got himself a heck of a deal on that Jeep!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

I think that this is a great saw for the price and it looks like you have ironed out the trouble areas. Should run well with the right blade and tension. These smaller saws do not necessarily have the springs to tension wide blades. I think a 1/2 inch blade would work well for resawing.

Orange County, CA

I’m thinking I will use the same castors I used on my bench, a set of these:

http://www.rockler.com/workbench-caster-kit-4-pack

They are holding up well and will allow me to set the bandsaw down for a rock solid base.

That’s a great point that they go up . I was just thinking it seating on four wheels . But those will do the ticket .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

nice saw, it will be interesting to hear your comparisons on the General vs the Laguna.

nice saw, it will be interesting to hear your comparisons on the General vs the Laguna.

Sure will. I have heard nothing but good about Laguna, and I love the few General tools I own. Will be an interesting comparison

Brad, I was surprised when you said you moved out your Laguna for all the good things said about their units. Now that you have adjusted the General unit, it sounds like a nice piece. Setup if definitely the key.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Man $500 for that saw was a steel. Hard to believe anyone would put it together so poorly. Should serve you well when set up properly.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Man $500 for that saw was a steel. Hard to believe anyone would put it together so poorly. Should serve you well when set up properly.

generally are these saws put together by the manufacturer or the person buying it. if i put it together and it was running rough i’d be calling up the company and asking them what i need to do to fix it. general is a pretty decent company to deal with, i hope everything works out for you.

Doobie
    Pro

What kind of motor power on it Brad? Can you convert it to 220V?

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Definitely cannot beat that price for the bandsaw.

Maybe the guy didn’t read the manual when he put it together. It obviously did not run right for him and probably frustrated him, so he set it aside and didn’t bother with it.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.553 seconds