dcsimg

GeeFix wall anchor test Video

This topic contains 54 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  58Chev 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Author

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Here is a video I shot this morning showing how to use a GeeFix anchor.

They are a potential sponsor of BTP and I was lucky enough to receive a sample of their product to test!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Haha pretty good Jon, how about putting a small shelve, and putting more weight across the shelve.

Oh and your drywall screw just above was to deep lol,

Good job on the video, shop looking good to.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Here is a video I shot this morning showing how to use a GeeFix anchor.

They are a potential sponsor of BTP and I was lucky enough to receive a sample of their product to test!

<figure class=”oe-video-container”><iframe width=”770″ height=”578″ src=”https://www.youtube.com/embed/-E-icfzU6Bk?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque” frameborder=”0″ allowfullscreen=””></iframe></figure>

Great job on the video ! I am actually really impressed with how much they hold .I think they would work great in existing washrooms if you are looking to install a tower bar or grab handle for the tub.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

.I think they would work great in existing washrooms if you are looking to install a tower bar or grab handle for the tub.

Exactly! The I’ve been in that situation a few times and had to struggle with toggle bolts. These seem to be more user friendly.

Jon P.
    Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Looks like a good product, Jon, thanks for the great work on the video.
    Are there any guidelines as to how the bar at the back should be oriented? Vertically, horizontally or ? What is the rated load?

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

.I think they would work great in existing washrooms if you are looking to install a tower bar or grab handle for the tub.

Exactly! The I’ve been in that situation a few times and had to struggle with toggle bolts. These seem to be more user friendly.

Anything I have ever used in the past never really worked that well but after seeing this viseo I’m pretty sure this is the best way to go .

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Jon interesting video. Looks like the GeeFix is plenty strong.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thanks for showing how the GeeFix works . Wonder how it would be on 1/2 drywall . Which most interior walls are . Seems like it does great on 5/8 Rock .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie

Thanks for the video Jon.

The one thing I wondered about is whether it can deal with insulated walls and vapour barriers on the other side of the drywall. Could the system be installed without overly piercing the vapour barrier basically or at all for that matter?

Another scenario would be how well it works for floating shelves. What kind of weight can it handle in what is more of a pulling situation rather than just a shear strength test.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Nice Video J. Might be nice to hang a cradle from it and pile weight like from a bench press bar till it fails. Just to see??

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Looks like a good product, Jon, thanks for the great work on the video.
    Are there any guidelines as to how the bar at the back should be oriented? Vertically, horizontally or ? What is the rated load?

I don’t recall reading that a specific orientation was required. I DO now realize that the two pieces need to be in the same orientation due to the pre drilled holes needing to line up. I believe they just happened to do so in my video..completely by chance.

Not sure on the load rating. One of those screw type drywall anchors can be rated up to 75lbs in 5/8 board though…maybe I should toss some more weight on the anchor?

Thanks for the video Jon.

The one thing I wondered about is whether it can deal with insulated walls and vapour barriers on the other side of the drywall. Could the system be installed without overly piercing the vapour barrier basically or at all for that matter?

Another scenario would be how well it works for floating shelves. What kind of weight can it handle in what is more of a pulling situation rather than just a shear strength test.

Maybe…depending on how carefully you drilled the pilot hole and how wide the piece you are attaching to the center screw is. Thicker materials mean the center screw would penetrate the wall less, reducing the potential for putting a hole in the vapor barrier.

I’ll put the floating shelf idea on the short list!

Jon P.
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Nice Video J. Might be nice to hang a cradle from it and pile weight like from a bench press bar till it fails. Just to see??

@dirtywhiteboy

Cradle? What do you mean?

Jon P.
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@dirtywhiteboy

Like attach a plywood platform to some rope to the anchor so you could pile weight till it failed.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

@dirtywhiteboy

Like attach a plywood platform to some rope to the anchor so you could pile weight till it failed.

That is a good idea Dirty. My pack of Gee Fix anchors came the other day, planning on using them this weekend.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Nice video Jon . I am thinking your 2 screws lined up from the cord you had pulled through them. Looks like a good set up other than the big 1 inch hole. Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Nice video Jon . I am thinking your 2 screws lined up from the cord you had pulled through them. Looks like a good set up other than the big 1 inch hole. Thanks for taking the time to demonstrate!

Good point! Of course they lined up!

Over all, I liked it aside from the big hole. BUT, if you need an anchor like this typically you’d use a toggle/butterfly anchor and those need a fairly big hole themselves.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Good point! Of course the lined up!

Over all, I liked it aside from the big hole. BUT, if you need an anchor like this typically you’d use a toggle/butterfly anchor and those need a fairly big hole themselves.

That is a good point about the hole size. A 1/4″ molly needs a decent size hole for it…not an 1″ but still large. I would like to see a weight test of some kind also.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I would like to see a weight test of some kind also.

A breaking point test?

Jon P.
    Instagram

I would like to see a weight test of some kind also.

A breaking point test?

Yeah..see what breaks first the drywall or the anchor. I know that will take some setup time so I really don’t expect you to. I think the GeeAnchor site has a video showing a guy sitting on a shelf held by the anchors.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Great Video Jon. It shows perfectly how to install them.
    The break point test is a great idea.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.456 seconds