dcsimg

GAS18V-3N review

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

A quick way to clean a vac filter is just switch the hose to the exhaust side ((after the vac is emptied)) and use the vac to blow the filter out. Not quite as good as compressed air or a blower, but works good to quickly get you back to the task at hand

No filter replacements yet. The amount of ash that I’m picking up is very minimal. Though I have determined if I don’t vacuum it everyday there is a chance the stove won’t start, until I do. It’s not really a big deal. Takes maybe 5 mins. to vac the burn pot, wire brush it and poke all the holes. I’m not actually vacuuming all the ash generated, that’s collected below and I just dump every few weeks. Compared to cleaning the wood stove, this is easy.

Concrete dust and drywall dust are the absolute worst on filters. I’m certainly glad that I don’t have to clean those items any longer.

Sounds like you have a good system going the way you do it , that should give more life to the filter than mine ,
    You are definitely right about drywall and concrete dust , I don’t know how many smaller shop vac I went through before I started using the higher efficient bags lol.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

A quick way to clean a vac filter is just switch the hose to the exhaust side

Good idea if you don’t have a compressor handy. I really like my little vac, I use it almost daily as well.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I’m now using my little vac almost daily. I purchased a pellet stove at the auction last spring and switched over from my wood stove.

The pellet stove needs the burn pot cleaned daily, unlike the pellet grill. The Bosch works great for this, though a bent nozzle would make it even better. I use a blower to clean the filter.

That is a great idea to use the blower to clean the filter on the vac. How often do you clean the filter when you use the vac everyday?

Also how do you like the pellet stove?
    I have a wood stove sitting in the basement of our new place. We have decided not to use it. I would love to use it. I am just up to getting firewood and bringing it in the basement. I have thought about getting a pellet stove. We do have a older gas furnace that needs replaced.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I ordered two filters for mine

How expensive are the vac filters?

Greg

I ordered two filters for mine

How expensive are the vac filters?

If I remember correctly , I think I paid 21 or 22 from Mississauga hardware , but you can find them lots of places even Amazon
    It’s not expensive seeing that it lasted two years of plenty of different materials.

redwood
    Pro

That is a great idea to use the blower to clean the filter on the vac. How often do you clean the filter when you use the vac everyday?

I have a wood stove sitting in the basement of our new place. We have decided not to use it. I would love to use it. I am just up to getting firewood and bringing it in the basement. I have thought about getting a pellet stove. We do have a older gas furnace that needs replaced.

As I mentioned, I’m not actually vacuuming up much of anything, so I don’t think I blow out the filter more then once a month, if that.

I’m very happy with the pellet stove. It’s a ton less work then a wood stove. If I run the stove all day, it uses about 1 – 40# bag of pellets per day. You fill the hopper, push a button and that’s it for the day. That alone is a ton less work then dealing with firewood.

If you lose power, you do need a backup power source. It uses very little electricity, about a 100W light bulb, but it does require it.

There is a concern in the back of my mind that it is a electronic device with mechanical parts and in theory could fail at any time. That would suck in the winter. I do have a forced air heat pump, if that should happen though.

Mine is large enough to heat my 1800 sq. ft. house comfortably.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

redwood
    Pro

I’m now using my little vac almost daily. I purchased a pellet stove at the auction last spring and switched over from my wood stove.

The pellet stove needs the burn pot cleaned daily, unlike the pellet grill. The Bosch works great for this, though a bent nozzle would make it even better. I use a blower to clean the filter.

I blow out the filter very infrequently. I’m not sucking up very much ash.

I love the pellet stove, a lot less work then a wood stove using firewood. Like everything, there are pros and cons.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

If I remember correctly , I think I paid 21 or 22 from Mississauga hardware , but you can find them lots of places even Amazon

That is not a bad price. This was one of my concerns if I bought the 18V vac.

It’s not expensive seeing that it lasted two years of plenty of different materials.

True! I guess it also depends on what you use for.

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I blow out the filter very infrequently. I’m not sucking up very much ash.

I see! Yes I guess there wouldn’t be alot of ash.

I love the pellet stove, a lot less work then a wood stove using firewood. Like everything, there are pros and cons.

That’s good you love it. Yes I agree alot less work involved. Yes there is pro and cons.
    I know some people when from wood stoves to pellets and now they have gone back wood stoves. Mainly they felt the pellet stoves don’t heat as well.
    I kinda just want to have one for back up and maybe use during the day time or when is really cold out. I was looking buying used one from my parents if they haven’t sold it yet.

Greg

redwood
    Pro

I had a nice wood stove and my pellet stove heats the house pretty much equally. Of course my pellet stove is rated for up to 3000 sq.ft. and my house is only 1800 sq.ft.

Though I have a electric heat pump, it is very expensive to run and not very efficient in freezing weather. I haven’t used it this winter.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

That is not a bad price. This was one of my concerns if I bought the 18V vac.

True! I guess it also depends on what you use for.

Yeah that is why I figured I would get two , I can make one for wet and the other one for dry pick up ,

A quick way to clean a vac filter is just switch the hose to the exhaust side ((after the vac is emptied)) and use the vac to blow the filter out. Not quite as good as compressed air or a blower, but works good to quickly get you back to the task at hand

That’s a great idea , but unfortunately this little canister vacuum doesn’t have that exhaust side port , just the typical vent exhaust from the motor ,
    I usually use the Bosch 18 volt blower or my Ego , but I was stupid , and in a kinda hurry ,

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I had a nice wood stove and my pellet stove heats the house pretty much equally. Of course my pellet stove is rated for up to 3000 sq.ft. and my house is only 1800 sq.ft.

Though I have a electric heat pump, it is very expensive to run and not very efficient in freezing weather. I haven’t used it this winter.

It probably a good idea to get a bigger pellet stove then you need. I will have keep this mine when checking out stoves.

Greg

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Heating with a pellet stove makes sense for sure. How are you transferring heat from the stove to the whole house, convection, hot water, or forced hot air?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

redwood
    Pro

Heating with a pellet stove makes sense for sure. How are you transferring heat from the stove to the whole house, convection, hot water, or forced hot air?

Well I should say that the heat is not uniform in every room of the house. The stove is situated in the middle of the wall at one end of the house. It has a substantial blower and I have ceiling fans in every room. The bedrooms at the far end, away from the stove are about 3- 4deg. F. cooler then the hallway and main rooms near the stove.

Installed

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

nfortunately this little canister vacuum doesn’t have that exhaust side port , just the typical vent exhaust from the motor

I didn’t know that. My small Dewalt corded/cordless has both in/out ports and can be used as a vac or blower

nfortunately this little canister vacuum doesn’t have that exhaust side port , just the typical vent exhaust from the motor

I didn’t know that. My small Dewalt corded/cordless has both in/out ports and can be used as a vac or blower

That’s a good feature , I have it on my small shop vac , you know , I don’t think my 14 gallon Bosch dust extractor has it either.
    That’s one thing I liked about the shop vac , when the hose got blocked , I did that exact thing to unclog the hose

Kamster
    Pro

Has anyone used the Makita DVC750 18V vac and the Bosch GAS 18V-3N?

The Makita has a blower on the exhaust port but its almost $100CDN more than the Bosch. I’ve got both systems so batteries aren’t really a consideration

I’ve just started working with a small CNC so I need something lightweight and relatively quiet

redwood
    Pro

Has anyone used the Makita DVC750 18V vac and the Bosch GAS 18V-3N?

The Makita has a blower on the exhaust port but its almost $100CDN more than the Bosch. I’ve got both systems so batteries aren’t really a consideration

I’ve just started working with a small CNC so I need something lightweight and relatively quiet

I have the Bosch and a med. size CNC and I like the Bosch a lot, but it would never do on my CNC for dust collection. It would probably do fine for vacuuming the bed, as even my 1.5HP dust collector doesn’t get everything.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.521 seconds