dcsimg

GAS18V-3N review

This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Juliatom543 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

About two months ago I bought myself an early Christmas present. I have been taking on more side jobs lately and didn’t have a shop vac I could bring with me, and I had been eyeing the Bosch GAS18V-3N for a while, so when I saw it at a good price online I was thrilled to be able to jump on it.

My first impression when I took it out of the box was that it is much bigger than I had realized. Not too big to easily carry around by hand, but not a tiny little thing either – I had expected, since it was cordless, that it wouldn’t have all that much capacity, but 2 gallons turns out to be quite a lot more than I realized. I was using it as dust collection on my axial glide when I cut a bunch of decking and I was able to go through my entire project of tiling the space behind my stove with that decking before the canister was full. And another remarkable thing was – even though it was full, I had no idea from the suction, it was still just as strong as when the tank was empty! If I hadn’t checked, I wouldn’t have had a clue.

The canister itself is supposed to be see-through, and in general it is, especially if it’s back lit at all. But in most standard conditions where it’s not set up with a light behind it, or when it’s covered in dust from whatever I’ve been doing, it gets pretty hard to see what’s going on inside it. I would have like it to be a bit clearer so it’s easier to see when it’s full, but that’s not a huge problem, just a minor inconvenience. It’s still small enough that lifting it when completely full of sawdust it’s still light enough to hold up to a light and check the level of debris inside. And it’s easy to empty too. It has two clips, directly opposite each other that are attached to the motor housing so when you unclip them, the canister just sits by itself and can be easily dumped into a trash bag. I had a coarse foam cover that fit perfectly over the filter that I use as a first stage filter to keep the inner one a little cleaner. It hasn’t affected suction as far as I can tell, but it makes cleaning the reusable filter a bit easier.

It’s also got a good number of attachments. I’ve used it a few times to clean up dusty floors and the three wand extensions work great for that. There’s no need to bend over – they slip easily but securely into each other to give a good 3-4 feet of extension, and they store really nicely right on the tool. The crevice attachment fits inside one of the extensions, or can be secured in their place on the tool while the extensions are being used. The GAS18V-3N’s hose is about six feet long, which I’ve found to be a really decent length for setting the canister in place and then being able to work from it. I’ve used it with my sanders, as DC for my miter saw, and while cleaning up the shop or worksite, and have noticed that I’ve always had enough length for whatever I needed to do. And it stores really well – it wraps around a really solid set of arms, secured with an elastic loop. That loop is extremely helpful to have, easy to get on and off, and never gets in the way at all. It’s the perfect mix of functionality and security, without being some big mess to have to deal with all the time. It’s super simple to use and get around when you don’t need it. The last accessory is the wide nozzle attachment and it attaches to a large peg in the center of the hose storage arms. It could be a little wider, but I think, for the amount of suction the tool has, it’s probably just about perfect to give a little wider cleaning path without losing hardly any suction.

Since the tool is cordless, it does require a good sized battery to really get efficient use out of it. I’ve only used my Core batteries for it, and I get plenty of run time with them. I’ve never had it just running constantly the whole time, so I don’t know how long it could go straight, but with only turning it on when I need it I’ve been able to go a whole 10 hr work day on less than two Core batteries. It’s definitely a high draw tool, but for the amount of suction and performance I’ve gotten from it, I’m really happy with how well it does. Unless I was running it continually, there has always been enough time to recharge the original Core battery I was using (on a fast charger) before the second battery has been used up. I also really like the battery compartment. It has plenty of space for a Core battery – I’d love to see how one of the new Core 8Ah’s fit, but I’m pretty sure it has space for it under the hood. It’s really easy to access too – there’s a release button and the cover swings up and out of the way and then latches solidly in place when you’re ready to use it. I really like how integrated into the body the cover is too. It all looks like one seamless exterior once it’s all closed up. And there’s a battery life indicator on the top of the unit too, so you don’t need to be able to see the battery to tell how much more time you’ll get out of the tool.

The on/off button is right on top of the vac. And it’s red and looks like it’s sealed against dust. I wish it was built into the carry handle on top of the vac – either on the side where you could hit it with your thumb or on the underside of the handle so it could be operated with your fingers while carrying it. As it is, it’s located off to the side and just out in the open on the top of the vac so it’s not really convenient to reach if you’re carrying the whole thing in one hand and holding the hose with the other, but again, that’s just a small detail, and not too hard to deal with.

One feature I haven’t had the chance to check out is that this vac is wet/dry, and I haven’t needed to do any wet pick up yet. So once I do, I’ll check back in, but for now, I’ve had really great experiences with this vac.

I have had this tool for just a couple of months, but I have to say it’s probably one of my most used tools now. I love pretty much everything about it, and am so happy to have added it to my tool set. It’s made it so much easier to keep my shop and work site cleaner and freer of dust and debris. Highly recommend!

Charlie

Instagram

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Thanks for the good in depth review. I have considered this vac and the only reason I went with another brand was I couldn’t put anything on top of the vac in a truck and I think they should have designed something to store, coil or attach the hose while not in use.

CB
    Pro

The battery vacs that have a provision to store the hose… have too short of a hose!

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Thanks for the good in depth review. I have considered this vac and the only reason I went with another brand was I couldn’t put anything on top of the vac in a truck and I think they should have designed something to store, coil or attach the hose while not in use.

It doesn’t have any way to attach anything to the top – the handle gets in the way of that, but it does have a really nice hose storage.

@cb I’ve really like the length of this one, but that’s just my two cents.

Charlie

Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What a great in depth review. A 2 gl. tank is small but would do for small stuff.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

CB
    Pro

Is there a control wire embedded in the helical bump winding it’s way around the hose? That hose looks more like the kind of hose in a canister vac where there is a remote on/off switch at the end of the hose, yet your review only described the on/off switch on top of the canister.

Guaranteed the Bosch battery vac hose is more substantial, and longer, than the Poor-ter Cable battery vac hose.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

Is there a control wire embedded in the helical bump winding it’s way around the hose? That hose looks more like the kind of hose in a canister vac where there is a remote on/off switch at the end of the hose, yet your review only described the on/off switch on top of the canister.

Guaranteed the Bosch battery vac hose is more substantial, and longer, than the Poor-ter Cable battery vac hose.

No – no control wire, it’s just a stiffening wire I believe. That’d be a nice feature though!

It seems like a really well made hose, nothing cheap feeling about it.

Charlie

Instagram

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I bought one of these vacs awhile back, it is so handy when replacing windows. I always like to vacuum after cutting out the existing windows, and dragging my big corded vacuum around can be a nuisance!

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I bought one of these vacs awhile back, it is so handy when replacing windows. I always like to vacuum after cutting out the existing windows, and dragging my big corded vacuum around can be a nuisance!

It’s just a great little vac. I love it for carrying around to different projects.

Charlie

Instagram

CB
    Pro

No – no control wire, it’s just a stiffening wire I believe. That’d be a nice feature though!

That’s one reason why I’m holding out for a radio remote control cordless vac.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

The battery vacs that have a provision to store the hose… have too short of a hose!

The specs for this vac said the Bosch hose is 5.25′ long.

The Milwaukee 2 gallon 0880-20 I have has a 6′ hose that collapses into the box, and I was surprised at how “well behaved” the hose is kind of expands and collapes like a slinky.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Thank you for posting the review. Sounds like a great vac.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

CB
    Pro

The Milwaukee 2 gallon 0880-20 I have has a 6′ hose that collapses into the box, and I was surprised at how “well behaved” the hose is kind of expands and collapes like a slinky.

I haven’t actually measured, but the hose that neatly hugs the PC cordless vac in a U shape feels like it is about 3.5′ in the collapsed position. I’ve stretched it out in use, but during those times, I wasn’t thinking to measure how long it will stretch to. I was just thinking about where can I set and support the vacuum so it is closer.

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I haven’t actually measured, but the hose that neatly hugs the PC cordless vac in a U shape feels like it is about 3.5′ in the collapsed position. I’ve stretched it out in use, but during those times, I wasn’t thinking to measure how long it will stretch to. I was just thinking about where can I set and support the vacuum so it is closer.

Ha, I did the opposite. I measured mine stretched and fully extended but not enough to begin dragging the vac or tipping it over.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I am having problems closing the lid when I use a CORE18V 4ah battery.
    The battery is a tiny bit to long and scratches on the inside of the lid.
    I have to press down on the lid quite a bit to get it closed and to open it I have to pull on the lid. Normally it would flip open when not under pressure

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I am having problems closing the lid when I use a CORE18V 4ah battery.
    The battery is a tiny bit to long and scratches on the inside of the lid.
    I have to press down on the lid quite a bit to get it closed and to open it I have to pull on the lid. Normally it would flip open when not under pressure

I didn’t realize the Core4 was longer – that sucks! Seems like there should be a CCS180 type repair for that, because that’s not backwards or even currently compatible!

I wonder if that means the 8 and 12(?) will be longer too?

Charlie

Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@cmeyer25 I don’t know how I missed this great review Charlie
    I also just bought mine over the Christmas holidays
    And I just opened it up today 😊,
    I tried it out for some smaller clean up in the garage ,
    So far very impressive
    I opened it up and think the quality is very good so far

I’m looking forward to using this vac much more.

Once again great review thanks.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

So far very impressive

Thanks Brian – I have been using mine a ton since I got it, and have yet to be disappointed by it. I would definitely recommend keeping a Core battery in it as it does suck a lot of power, but otherwise it’s just a great little vac!

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It looks like a really nice vac but for now I’m full up on vacs.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

So far very impressive

Thanks Brian – I have been using mine a ton since I got it, and have yet to be disappointed by it. I would definitely recommend keeping a Core battery in it as it does suck a lot of power, but otherwise it’s just a great little vac!

Your welcome , I know I have been seeing a lot of it in your posting here and on IG
    Funny that’s exactly what I did ,
    I’m looking forward to using this vacuum more often.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.519 seconds