dcsimg

Garage wall organization

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Thinking about redoing the walls in my garage.

Right now I have a half the walls in beadboards and half in sheetrock. I hate beadboards. Then I have peg boards over some of the sheetrock for hooks and hangers, some wall hung shelves and stuff.

I am thinking of ripping everything down and put on new walls all the way corner to corner, something like slat walls or similar so I can use every inch for storage and organization.

What are your experience with the latest wall organization materials, to have the maximum flexibility in organizing stuff?

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

When I built my little shop I sheathed the whole inside with OSB. I could hang anything anywhere. Plywood is nicer, but, you know….budgets. Painted white it looked fine.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I like the idea of plywood or wood on the walls to fasten stuff to. I am not a fan of peg board. I would like have a tool board for my tools.

I am still trying figure this out in my new smaller workshop.

Look forward to see what you do.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

I am looking at slatwall panels. It’s plywood but grooved, and have tons of accessories, accessories that you can move higher/lower left and right, plus shelves, cabinets, baskets, even lumber organizers and other stuff.

Expensive though, even a bit more expensive then 3/4″ ply and that’s not even counting accessories.

Clev08
    Pro

I think the slat wall would be a great idea, personally I think it looks better than a pegboard and provides you the option to hang heavier items due to the stronger material and larger contact area between the hooks and the wall than pegboard. I have installed a prefinished slat board product behind the cashier counter at a car dealership thought it looked very clean and professional while also being versatile.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We used a vinyl product like this in a garage renovation a couple years ago. It turned out very nice. A clean look and easy to clean.

https://handisolutions.com/index.php/products/handiwall-pvc-slatwall-system

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

I am looking at slatwall panels. It’s plywood but grooved, and have tons of accessories, accessories that you can move higher/lower left and right, plus shelves, cabinets, baskets, even lumber organizers and other stuff.

Expensive though, even a bit more expensive then 3/4″ ply and that’s not even counting accessories.

Looks like very solution garage storage problem. Would you do all the walls or just a couple walls?

Greg

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

think the slat wall would be a great idea, personally I think it looks better than a pegboard and provides you the option to hang heavier items due to the stronger material and larger contact area between the hooks and the wall than pegboard.

You make a good point much better the peg board and better for hanging heavier items.

Really not fan of pegboard.

Greg

When I built my little shop I sheathed the whole inside with OSB. I could hang anything anywhere. Plywood is nicer, but, you know….budgets. Painted white it looked fine.

Yeah , I looked at some different options like those boards , but I really found it pricey , especially when you calculate the add ons that didn’t come in the starter kit , I opted for 3/8 and 1/2 plywood and like you Jim , I painted it white also ,
    I can use hooks screws , shelves and other things , pretty wide open for anything.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

I opted for 3/8 and 1/2 plywood

Still not what one would call “inexpensive” though is it. Man, the price of lumber these days!

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

I opted for 3/8 and 1/2 plywood

Still not what one would call “inexpensive” though is it. Man, the price of lumber these days!

Very true , I was thinking about when I did it more than 5 years ago , plywood was almost dirt cheap compared to what you have to pay now 🤯🤯🤯

Miamicuse
    Pro
    Fort Lauderdale, Florida

yes plywood is crazy.

a 1/2″ sheet of 4×8 utility grade shealthing is $40. I remember a few years ago I was looking for plywood as a hurricane was approaching, no choice but to pay premium to someone from south Miami even with price gouging, and he delivered 6 sheets of 4x8x3/4 pine to me for a ridiculous price of $36 a sheet at the time delivery included LOL.

The slatwall panels same size is as much but not much more, at $42 a sheet.

Even T1-11 is $63 a sheet.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.239 seconds