dcsimg

Garage & Shop Lighting

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 280 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

My T8 bulbs need replacement about every 18 months or so if you want to keep them in top shape.

Yer right about them yellowing, I was so surprised last year of the difference when I had to replace a couple tubes.

Guess the yellowing kinda creeps up on you. I have some pretty old tubes, guess I’ll check them out.

Yes it does, I painted my shop brilliant bright white gloss. It was the brightest whitest color I could find, I get a lot of nice reflection from the lights anyway but man I had no idea they were so yellowed.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Same with my shop. Highgloss “bone” It was insane for the first couple of years and then it just sorted died off.

Then my first bulb went after about 5-6 years and the light went off… Literally.

the bulbs are yellowed and lost a ton of their lumen.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

I remembered this thread when I saw both TIA and Toolguyd mention the infamous Big A Light:

http://toolguyd.com/big-ass-light-garage-led-fixture/
    http://professional-power-tool-guide.com/2015/03/big-ass-light-best-shop-light-ever/

John S

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

The BA lights are just so expensive.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Way overpriced in my opinion.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Way overpriced in my opinion.

Especially since it seems like there are other LED options out there for $50-100 each, so you could have a much wider spread of light for the same price. I would bet the technology continues to improve in quality and also comes down in cost, so this sort of high quality light may not be too far off from being more affordable.

John S

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

we have flourescent lights in our shop and white paint on the walls.. its much much brighter than our old shop which was one of those metal hanger style buildings

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

woodman_412

I had T8 fixtures in my shop and I painted the ceiling a cream colour to give a warmer feel to the shop and the walls were wood. All the windows provided a lot of light but even at night just the lights provided plenty of light.

Dan

danpattison.com

woodman_412

We were at Costco today and I noticed they have LED shop lights that are sort of the LED equivalent to the 4′ fluorescent plug in shop lights that you hang on chains. I picked one up and hung it in my basement shop space tonight and I’m really happy with it so far. Great light output, really light weight and costs next to nothing to run. Also no worries about bulbs burning out or ballasts going kaput. It’s light enough and easy enough to transport that I think I’m going to take it with me when I need lighting in another space that I’m working in. If you’re looking for a shop fixture these seem to be great.

As you can see in the first pic it puts a good amount of light onto a work surface. As it turns out, an MPT is the perfect work surface for assembling a Bosch router table 🙂

Dan

danpattison.com

We were at Costco today and I noticed they have LED shop lights that are sort of the LED equivalent to the 4′ fluorescent plug in shop lights that you hang on chains.

From your pic it really looks like a solid option.

I had T8 fixtures in my shop

Back then, what made you pick the T8 over T5s?

John S

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

We were at Costco today and I noticed they have LED shop lights that are sort of the LED equivalent to the 4′ fluorescent plug in shop lights that you hang on chains. I picked one up and hung it in my basement shop space tonight and I’m really happy with it so far. Great light output, really light weight and costs next to nothing to run. Also no worries about bulbs burning out or ballasts going kaput. It’s light enough and easy enough to transport that I think I’m going to take it with me when I need lighting in another space that I’m working in. If you’re looking for a shop fixture these seem to be great.

As you can see in the first pic it puts a good amount of light onto a work surface. As it turns out, an MPT is the perfect work surface for assembling a Bosch router table :)

Looks like it has good light output.

Ron

As you can see in the first pic it puts a good amount of light onto a work surface. As it turns out, an MPT is the perfect work surface for assembling a Bosch router table :)

Looks like a good find for some light .

Always willing to learn .

We were at Costco today and I noticed they have LED shop lights that are sort of the LED equivalent to the 4′ fluorescent plug in shop lights that you hang on chains. I picked one up and hung it in my basement shop space tonight and I’m really happy with it so far. Great light output, really light weight and costs next to nothing to run.

Thanks for that info @woodman_412 I need something like that. It looks like the fixture is one strip of LED lights with the fixture about 4″ wide. I am curious if they are made wider with another row of LEDs. We have a Costco under construction in our community. Can’t wait for it to get done.

woodman_412

woodman_412 wrote:
    I had T8 fixtures in my shop
    Back then, what made you pick the T8 over T5s?

John, that was what my electrician had spec’d so that what I went with. To be honest I didn’t really think too much about it at the time. I was really happy with the fixtures though, they gave off great light.

I need something like that. It looks like the fixture is one strip of LED lights with the fixture about 4″ wide. I am curious if they are made wider with another row of LEDs. We have a Costco under construction in our community. Can’t wait for it to get done.

Lon, I might pop the cover off later to see what’s inside for LED’s. They didn’t have anything wider at Costco but I’m sure something would be available somewhere else.

Dan

danpattison.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Dan, that is exactly what I am looking for. Do you remember who made them? price? What about the light compared to a regular fluorescent fixture?

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Dan, that is exactly what I am looking for. Do you remember who made them? price? What about the light compared to a regular fluorescent fixture?

HD has a 4 ft led shop light for $50. With 3200 Lumens

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-4-ft-LED-White-Shop-Light-54103161/205331022

Ron

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OM8XVMA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one but….you actually have to modify the shop light and direct wire it into the supply by getting rigid of the ballast. It didn’t say this when I bought it on the original post but for the price I’ve decided to keep it. I will buy a new shop light and remove all the innards to get this guy going but for the price it ain’t a bad option. When I finally do it I’ll post pictures but I just put in the last Freau light in my shop and really like them.

Boy oh boy Dan, can’t wait to see that table up and running!!!! Thanks for the lighting tip too on the paint.

woodman_412

Bill, it’s made by Innova and it puts out 3150 lumens. Costco has it for $55 which is pretty decent when you compare fluorescent fixtures plus bulbs.

Dan

danpattison.com

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

I’m finding LEDs a little too blue for my liking… Maybe I haven’t tried the right ones yet.

I put LED in some 6″ cans in the kitchen I’m working on.. They grey color that the HO picked for the walls turned almost purple in the LED light.. 🙁

--Steve

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 280 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.658 seconds