dcsimg

Future of the Trades

Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

My dad gave me the choice either go to school or start a trade. I chose a trade and have no regrets, although I have been considering taking some class to accentuate my license. Like some business management or accounting courses

Thats the choice for my sons. About 11 years ago 3 of my wifes teacher friends were talking about what they wanted their kids to do, mind you that all of our kids were 3 or 4 at that time. Walked into the conversation when they asked me what we wanted Sean to be. Told them “house broke by 30” , didn’t go over to well. Our rules are,
    1) have to have an outside activity. Don’t care what, sports , photography, whatever.
    2) You Can’t quite during a season
    3) Don’t get paid for passing grades, doing chores , or breathing, we expect these
    4) Doesn’t matter if they ever use them as an adult, but you will learn basics of several trades,

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

4) Doesn’t matter if they ever use them as an adult, but you will learn basics of several trades,

It is funny that you say that. My dad taught me basic stuff as a kid that I kind of expected everyone to know. But I am surprised at how many apprentices that I see that don’t know how to hold/swing a hammer.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I think it is important that kids are taught at a early age about trades . It is more likely they will be more interested in them as they get older .The earlier the better .

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

It is funny that you say that. My dad taught me basic stuff as a kid that I kind of expected everyone to know. But I am surprised at how many apprentices that I see that don’t know how to hold/swing a hammer.

My dad insisted on the same thing – he farmed me out as free labor to some of his buddies in a couple trades.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Skills in a variety of trades is super practical and will be an excellent “gift” to your kids – I didn’t learn anything about fixing anything from my dad even though he built highways for a living for a good part of his life (doesnt mean he is super handy… but he definitely has some serious knowledge in his trade)…

For my hypothetical kids (hypothetical parenting is so easy 😉 haha), I would love to teach them to enjoy the fruit and value of working hard and with that, specific skills that will really serve them the rest of their lives. Even if they enjoy aspects of it (being with dad) and don’t enjoy others (working rather than playing around) – I know it will be something they look back on and value. Or, at least, I hope they will.

John S

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

My dad insisted on the same thing – he farmed me out as free labor to some of his buddies in a couple trades.

My father always had me working with his construction friends at a early age and I am glad today that he did .It helped me learn several trades growing up .

Thats what we are doing. It’s hard in today’s world, finding people you trust to do whats right with your son and work wise. Friend of mine is in his late 70″s and has been there 100% with our son. Good thing is he is so OCD and demands perfection. Sean also went on a job where two 20 yr old kids got booted, he ended up making 10 dollars an hour cash last summer. PM me if your working on your own place next summer and need help Chad. Ill drive him down and pay him, think the experience working around you would be great.

staker
    Pro

Around here the schools sold off the tools for machine shop and woodworking about 15 years ago when the computer rush was on.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

PM me if your working on your own place next summer and need help Chad. Ill drive him down and pay him, think the experience working around you would be great.

Will do – I have a couple projects lined up for here at the house next summer as long as time/money cooperate.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Viewing 10 posts - 101 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.502 seconds