dcsimg

Future of the Trades

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • Author

I have been looking for young raw, young talent for the last two years. I am ready to make the investment to train them both on the job and in the class room at local technical schools. It is very hard to find young people that are willing to make the long term commitment to learn the trade. Between regular attrition and the new hires we have exactly the same number of regular full time employees at a time when we are trying to grow (add jobs)! Attitudes towards career and commitment have changed over the last 20-30 years, and not for the better.

That is profoundly true Eric. (grossly generalizing…) People my age could typically care less about committing to anything long term. And it doesn’t help that we have short attention spans and get ‘bored’ easily… I don’t see how it is progress in any way…

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I think the spirit of someone that doesn’t go to college after high school is more free so its difficult to commit to a trade school or apprenticeship. I am obviously not a psychologist but just tossing that out there.

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I come back to the media and all teachers trying to brain wash kids into thinking that college is the only way. I have gone through a bunch of different younger guys and no one wants to put in the attention to detail that is needed in the trades. I am lucky that I have found someone that will show up to work each day and is someone I can trust, but I do not see him having the attention to detail that is needed yet.

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

I know Brendon used to be a shop teacher. I think a stronger focus in middle and high school in shop would really go a long way.

redwood
    Pro

Most of the shops in schools have disappeared due to budget cuts, here in Calif.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I’ve been to college and now I work in the trades. Unfortunately for the kids today, trades and college both take massive levels of attention to detail and dedication.

As I understand it, in many European countries kids get a chance to branch off into the trades while still in school. While this option was available when I was in school, it was discouraged. Everything was college prep or you were “wasting your time”. You can’t expect kids to get the big picture on their own. People in the industry need to help sell vision of a rewarding career in the trades.

FLAUER
    Pro
    MENOMONEE FALLS, WI

Eric, unfortunately, most kids here that get guided to the trades are “trouble” kids. I saw it alot as a teacher.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Most of the shops in schools have disappeared due to budget cuts, here in Calif.

Budget cuts and insurance liability . I quit school at the age of 13 or 14 and went right into construction . Some of us just weren,t cut out to be a pen pusher πŸ˜‰

Eric, unfortunately, most kids here that get guided to the trades are β€œtrouble” kids. I saw it alot as a teacher.

I have noticed that as well, and it doesn’t seem to help the reputation of the trades much either.

John S

We are currently reviewing how we will recruit talent for 2014. One area we are taking a hard look at is partnering with a local high school and providing an opportunity to work part time in our shop to help them get a look at the opportunities that are out there.

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

That sounds like a good idea, Eric. Back in my high school years, which wasn’t so long ago, it seemed like everyone was pushing higher education. To make a living(or much of one)a college education is required. That seemed to be what I was told. And what do you know…Here I am, going to college. πŸ˜‰

Matt, what are you studying?

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

In my experience kids tend to get turned onto the trades if they have friends or family already in them. I have however heard radio and tv ads in Milwaukee recently paid for by local unions advertising getting into the trades.

In my experience kids tend to get turned onto the trades if they have friends or family already in them. I have however heard radio and tv ads in Milwaukee recently paid for by local unions advertising getting into the trades.

Interesting you mention friends and family in the trades being a major factor for a young person choosing that path. Our best recruiting has been through current employees referring friends and family.

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

Eric, I’m studying chemistry. I certainly don’t have anything against the trades. In fact, I work for a stonemason, and enjoy helping family and friends with carpentry, etc…

Matt, good luck with the classes. It never hurts to have a skilled trade under your belt to fall back on or to even just to help on your DIY projects.

MattW453
    Pro
    Vancouver, Washington

Thanks, Eric. I know what you mean. Maybe someday, using all the extra money I have, I can retire and spend it all on DIY projects, living out what I should have done when I was younger. πŸ™‚

jim_hunt17
    Pro
    Milwaukee, WI

Matt even though I am in the trades I am also back in college full time finishing up a degree in communications..Never hurts to have more education, education in the trades most of the time means a lot more money πŸ™‚

Jim H.
    Milwaukee, WI

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.487 seconds