dcsimg

Future of the Trades

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Not sure but I did nott make it up. I have heard it many times. I just know that hard work will cause you to succeed.

Defining your work week at 40 hours is limiting yoyrself. Many occupations there is a direct correlation between hours worked and income. Not to say that there is not a happy medium between work hours, income and relaxation.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Jerry, that is a good read. I would have to say it is a mix of the two. Just working smart may not do it but by working hard and smart will get you there. Horking hard and spinning your wheels in not good either.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Jerry, that is a good read. I would have to say it is a mix of the two. Just working smart may not do it but by working hard and smart will get you there. Horking hard and spinning your wheels in not good either.

kzcarp
    Pro

That’s cold Mark, you fired your own son. I bet if it was anybody else they would have been gone months earlier.

kevin

redwood
    Pro

That’s cold Mark, you fired your own son. I bet if it was anybody else they would have been gone months earlier.

kevin

You are right Kevin, we had some issues and I had sent him home a few times previously. We had a man to man talk and I told him no more.

In his favor, I do have to say he was a very hard worker, always looking for something to do and willing to try and do things he wasn’t necessarily qualified to do. I don’t get many workers like that any longer.

The problem was that he just did not like the mundane things that we have to do to complete a project from start to finish.

I have another son working for me that is not nearly as good of a worker. I’m forcing him to work for me. He’s 19 and had a choice, get a job with someone else or he is working for me. He’s a good kid, but would much rather be playing video games.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

I can’t imagine Mark… Had to be hard to fire your son – are you guys on good terms still I hope?

And it is amazing how many teenagers just want to play video games – I’ve been there, done that- but grew out of it eventually/quickly…

John S

redwood
    Pro

I fired him to save our relationship. We are still good.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I fired him to save our relationship. We are still good.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do :-)Better to keep your father son relationship strong more than anything .

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

There needs to be local trade representatives in high schools pitching the trades just like college recruiters do. I think if high school kids had the access to the trades they would consider them more.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Jason,
    You are correct. Only thing students see is college or macdonalds. Most don’t even know of the trades so it isn’t even an option for them.

kzcarp
    Pro

Sometimes it’s easy to have family working for you, sometimes not so easy. I remember being on jobs with my dad and we would butt heads, somebody would leave for a little while and at the end of the day we rode home still talking.

John, I bet your video games were scrupulously organized!
    Jason, you are right, something needs to be done to present the idea of a career in the trades to these kids before they invest time in going after a college degree that might not be the appropriate path for them.

kevin

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

I currently work with/for my Dad. That is all I will say about that. Let’s just say this is the second time we have tried this.

Wow Jerry – props to you for trying to make it work with your dad. I couldn’t imagine working for my dad. There is something in our blood that men of our family are all super stubborn and independent and want to be our own bosses…. sound familiar? πŸ™‚

John S

And Kevin – you are right in noting how organized my games were- although it was more simply a matter of keeping them in good condition – a la, no scratches on the disks, etc πŸ™‚

John S

MKE_Voltage
    Saint Francis, WI

My concern is besides union reps there seems to be no voice for the trades. Maybe large construction companies are the ones that need to step up to the plate on this issue.

kzcarp
    Pro

I don’t know what the answer is to rekindling interest in the trades. It kind of boggles my mind how the big unionized construction companies let the teachers unions get away with shutting down the vocational opportunities available in public schools. I don’t know, maybe there was a glut of kids not qualified to be in the trades and counselors regarded the trades as a catch all for those not college material.

kevin

kzcarp
    Pro

Boy, John just think how well organized those video games would have been if you had L-boxes to keep them in.

kevin

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

John, The first split was more out of economics than personalities. Our company came undone when the housing crash came undone. We ended up with I think 7 houses that we sold but pocketed no money. Interest and expenses ate it all up. The secret to working with your dad is to make him think that your idea is really his idea and is the best. πŸ™‚

redwood
    Pro

Jerry, that’s a lesson my son needs to learn. He worked for me for a year and thought that he knew more then me. That’s fine but keep it to yourself and do what I say.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.589 seconds