dcsimg

Future of the Trades

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    redwood
    Pro

I also have a degree in engineering, Civil. I really use very little of it in my work, but it looks good on paper. I’m not really a framer, but I can cut a roof. In fact, I will be cutting a very simple one tomorrow. Just a carport.

Employment for college grads is not good right now, but I can’t blame them for not going into the trades right now either.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

haha Kurt that sounds almost too futuristic to be possible, but I wouldn’t doubt that the technology for 3d printing will be there in 20 years for something along those lines. That, and the whole Jetsons-like lifestyle 🙂

John S

kzcarp
    Pro

It seems that we are well set down the path to a culture of entitlement. It does not bode well for the trades and even worse for society as a whole.
    If you go to college you are entitled to a job paying mid 5 figures. If you work 40 hours a week you are entitled to two days off a week, and if you work 50 weeks you should get a week off. That’s just if you show up, if you happen to do a decent job, you should be entitled to a bonus. I’m not talking about excelling at the job, just meeting the basic goals, you deserve a bonus.
    Obviously I’m not talking about the trades here, but if this is the case in other business’ then of course no one is going to want to work more than 5/8’s a week not to mention out in the heat and cold and occasional rain and snow. Nor work 12 or 15 consecutive days to get the job done. I hate to paint with a broad brush but there is a whole large segment of society that doesn’t want to work hard, or really even at all. A 4 hour shift making pizza or burgers is all the work they can tolerate, and really more than they have the attention span for. It is very rare that you see anyone under 30 around the lumber yard, and as far as new talent entering the workforce I don’t see it. This is a problem for the industry and for us as business owners.

I don’t know how this happened or what can be done to reverse it. Maybe we should start keeping score again. Didn’t kill me for my team to get beat in minor league baseball every game my first season.

kevin

Interesting thoughts for sure Kevin. There is definitely a massive shift in our culture these days, and I do not think we will look back on it positively very much at all

John S

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I was framing houses for over 20 years and out of all that time my wages never went past $ 20.00 an hour .Since I started building birdhouses I now make 5 times that much and I don,t have to bust my chops doing it .

No matter how much I was paid in the past it was still well worth it just for me to know what I know now and to be where I am today . Having all of that experience sure makes life a whole lot easier in many ways 🙂

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

with all of the capabilities of cad and building information systems I think it will be possible with some time. they already have computer guited cranes that will position steel with fractions wof an inch ithout any guigance or human interaction

Wow John… Sounds like I need to get busy building birdhouses as a sidejob 🙂 haha

John S

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I would say the only way to make any money in the trades is to own the company. My wife and I lived off her salary for the first few years
    I started my company. Now things are much better but it takes years to get established and build a client base.

Getting new folk to join the trades is a REAL problem. I’m actually writing an article on this topic for my site.

Today’s kids don’t want to do manual labor – its beneath them. the reality is college is not for everyone and the trades if handled well can be a lucrative, rewarding business.

Watch for the article on my site http://www.AConcordCarpenter.com

~ Rob at http://www.ConcordCarpenter.com

Looking forward to the article Rob. I would tend to agree that young folks are scared about by the manual labor. I would also have to say that with the cost of college skyrocketing, jobs in the trades start to look a lot more attractive….

John S

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I agree, college prices are through the roof right now. It has gotten to the point where people will start to be priced out of college. A college degree does not mean much anymore. I would love to find someone out of high school who is looking to start a career in the trades.

But like others have said – I do not know a lot of people who are hard working individuals who aren’t already willing/desiring to head the college route… :\

John S

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

that is true, but its getting to be to expensive to make college a viable option

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

With unemployment as high as it is and hearing that college grads can’t find jobs I’m amazed that we can’t find people to hire

redwood
    Pro

My oldest son is a college grad and has not found a job. He worked for me the last year or so until I fired him. I think that he felt that the construction field was beneath him. I didn’t argue.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Part of the reason students are still going to college even though it might not be their best course is their parents. Their parents (most of us are in the same generation) still believe or want to believe that sending or encourageing their kids to college is in the students best interest. This has been true since since probably the 40’s or before. It will take a while for this “knowledge” to pass from our collective wisdom.

When I left academia to enter the trades many of my frieds and a bunch of my family were aghast at my career change.

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I like to believe that if someone has the drive they can succeed at anything. I think as far as odds go, if someone is just a middle of the road guy, that has no real ambition or passion, they they would be better off with college. I would much rather have someone that is passionate about what they do, then someone that is really smart.

Hard work and willingness to learn beat skills and brains a lot of the time. Especially is skill/brain is removed from desire and work ethic.

It is amazing to see how quickly things have changed for my generation – in terms of the economy and the availability of work and the cost of college… It is a tricky thing to just have graduated from college these days.

John S

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

90% perspiration 10% inspiration. I firmly believe that hare work and a drive it succeed will create sucess. It is amazing the number of people who will never realize this

Not a bad saying Kurt – where did you hear that? Or did you make it up yourself?

John S

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.675 seconds