dcsimg

Future of the Trades

• This topic has 109 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ChadM.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 110 total)
  • Author
    parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I read somewhere that the average contractor is 53 now. Do you feel that in the next 10 years there will be a large need for tradesmen, or do you think that more people will start coming back into the trades as the market improves?

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

do you mean those who are retiring will come back into the work force or more young people will enter the trades..

personally i doubt the old timers will come back unless the number of green horns that actually want to work and learn the trade improves.. too many of the green horns think they dont have to do any work and can just get paid top dollar. they dont want to work for things… they dont realize that they have to put their time in and learn all the ins and outs of their trade in order to work their way to the top of the food chain

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Around here the ones who left have gotten better work, better hours, or better wages, or a combination thereof. I don’t think they are coming back. I think the contractors and tradesman we need will come from other industries that are failing or from new graduates. It is a matter of supply and demand. If wages go up in the trades then we will see an influx of good workers from somewhere. How is that for an non-answer answer.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I also do not think the older tradesmen that have gone on to other things will come back. I do not see a lot of younger individuals interested in the work. There is definately alack of talent out there . I hired a guy with supposedly 20 years of experience as a cerpenter that could not read a speed squaremor cut accurately with a circular saw.

I do not find anyone who knows anyhing out there that is willing to work.

redwood
    Pro

Well I’m pretty sure the tradesman will come from South of the Border.

I’m 60 and I hope to retire in the next year. I’m tired and I see no one to take my place.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

Mark wrote:Well I’m pretty sure the tradesman will come from South of the Border.

I’m 60 and I hope to retire in the next year. I’m tired and I see no one to take my place.

Mark, are your kids not interested in taking over? I have to agree that we will see most new laborers coming from south America, however I have found that the language barrier makes it really difficult to share detailed instructions.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Brian,
    The language barrier is slowly reversing. Lately I have been on a couple of job sites where I was the only non-spanish speaking person on site.

redwood
    Pro

Brian wrote:

Mark wrote:

Mark, are your kids not interested in taking over?

No, they are not interested and I don’t want them to. I’m glad to show them some things now, hoping that it will help them when they need it.

The field and the world has changed so much since I started. Personally, I think that it is much tougher to make it now.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think unemployment is a myth, I would hire 2 – 3 people now if I could find some who want to work and learn. They do not exist. Unemployment seems more like paying people not to work. If they are drawing, they want to be paid in cash to keep drawing. There is work for those that want to work.

redwood
    Pro

That’s a huge problem Kurt. That is why the hispanics have made such in roads. Not only are they cheap, they want to work, to provide for their families.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I have run into the same issue, not being able to find people that want to work. Most of the time contracting is not a 8-5 day. I always have goals planned for each day and most of the time we have to make those happen or else everything else gets backed up. Sometimes we will work 12-14 hour days. Trying to find people with a work ethic is hard and its not getting any better. Kids are brought now where we don’t keep score in sports, because we don’t want anyone to feel bad about losing. With out any disappointment in their life they have nothing to work for.

It is really true that most of the guys I know in the business are getting to be in their 40s and 50s, and at least their 30s. Not that means they are OLD, but it sure means there are not a lot of young dudes out there

John S

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

50 is the new 30 in the trades

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

To much emphasys is put on 4 year degrees. While the future may be in technology, if there are no carpenters, masons, welders plumbers or electricians to build the factories and the machines to build the products, there is no on future.

jdw1865
    Pro
    Dewey, OK

Kurt, you are comepletely correct. Too many students are pushed to the college route when the trades would suit them better. I have 3 college degrees and was an assist professor. I decided that was not the life for me and left it behind and went into construction.

About the age thing. I am 47 and am in no way the old man on the site.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Same age. I have a degree in construction engineering so I am working in my field. I do use the things I learned but forthings very different than most of my cclassmates. All the emphasis was on commercial.

I know so many people who have 4 year degrees that do not do anything remotely close to what their degree is in. Frankly the pay in construction is a lot better than what a lot of kids coming out of college will earn.

parenos
    Honesdale, PA

I agree Jerry. I have a college degree and was sick of the bull shit after a few years. In the construction trade, I feel like I am contributing something, to society. At the end of the day, I can at least see progress

The biggest drawback from the construction industry is the raw # of hours you have to work. Not that I am against working hard, but days sure are long

John S

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

All the trades are slowly dying off .Most kids coming out of school these days only want a job where they sit on their azz all day . One thing about construction is it is very hard work and in a lot of cases the money sucks .

There are a lot of framers out there who barely have 2 years experience and they are building houses themselves .Just don,t ask them to cut a rafter because most of them don,t know how .Most of the stick framing has been replaced with trusses .
    I am pretty sure that in 10 – 20 years from now there is going to be a huge shortage in trades .

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

Very few framers could cut a roof today. Panels, modular, trusses and components will be all there is in the future.

I see day when a massive 3d printer is placed over a hole in the ground anb the house is printed. Metalic inks will create the wiring special inks will create piping. The only labor will be to install light fixtures and plumbing fixtures.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 110 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.423 seconds