dcsimg

FSN OFA 32 Kit

This topic contains 183 replies, has 30 voices, and was last updated by  VirTERM 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 184 total)
  • Author

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

Where does the router rail come from? I went back a few pages and couldn’t find it.

They come from the other side of the pond from us.

Is that the same pond I’m floating around in??

Nope, the one to the right of us, the cold one.

And for those joining us now, there are two generations (not cross-compatible) of FSN rail

The 70 and 140 (70 and 140cm long respectively) are the old series, and work with the CCS180 circular saw

The 800 and 1600 (80 and 160cm long) are the new series, and work with the universal OFA router base. It is a twin to Mafell’s rails, so both their and Bosch’s European Track saw work with these rails.

As yet, I have not found a Bosch 18v saw for the 800/1600 or a route base for the 70/140

I recently purchased this kit through an eBay reseller in Great Britain. It took about 14 days from the time of order for it to arrive.
    It is a well put together kit. The instructions are a little spotty but the pictures help in assembling it.
    I had hoped that the router base would be compatible with my Makita RT0701 (similar to Bosch Colt) however I have determined that the hole patterns do not line up for my router. I believe this Bosch router base is designed for more powerful routers from Makita (RT0900 is compatible), Festool, Bosch, etc. The instructions list the routers which match with the base but it is of little value as these are referencing European/ non-US routers made by those companies with the exception of Festool (OF1010). Does anyone know if a table exists which shows the hole pattern compatibility across various manufacturer units? Such a compatibility table would help someone in the USA make decisions about what router to purchase and mount to this base. It would be a useful addition to this discussion.

I am excited to use this kit as I just getting into woodworking and I do not have the room for a table saw. I have two rail sections (Mafell) and the connector. This appears to be the perfect system to run dadoes and other operations in which a table saw is typically used.

Lastly, can anyone advise on what size L-Boxx or i-Boxx will work to hold this kit together? I saw on a YouTube video this fits into a certain one but the video was not in English. The packaged box obviously did not come with an L-Boxx or any portable storage method.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

@sscheuri welcome to the place, glad you could stop by.
    We have a intro thread if you care to share anything about yourself or not.
    http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourself-v2/page/21/

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

@sscheuri I have the kit in an L4 with my MR23 router but I am sure it would fit in something smaller. I will check it out for you. I did end up getting a separate router base for the OFA kit so that I don’t have to set it up every time I want to use it. Makes using it very simple to get going. I have the colt plunge base on it.

The base is REALLY great for dados. I haven’t used my tables saw dados since I got it. I’m not sure if you have seen my videos on the wiggle and how to get rid of it but they might be worth looking at.

I know that they are a big investment but the bosch holy rails are worth every penny if you plan on doing any shelf pins and since you already have mafell rails, they work with those.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Brad – I read this whole thread from beginning to end and your posts jumped out prominently. Might be the avatar? I saw the videos on the wiggle and will consult them once I sort the router piece out. I concur on creating another base and using it that way.
    Yes – that kit came with the holy rail and I have purchased one Mafell F160 (5.2 feet) track and connector separately. I think this combo will address 90% of my planned needs. After looking and reading a lot of reviews on joining the Festool rails together, I determined this was the better system.

This is slightly OT – I also purchased the Bosch small GKS 10.8v saw. I have used it for plywood cuts (not with the rail yet) and it has proven itself worthy for the DIYer. The accessories allow it to do limited dust collection and hookup to the Mafell rail *or* a Festool/Makita rail. I don’t think it has the battery life to stand up to sustained use (even with two batteries) – thus one would want a Mafell MT55c or Bosch equivalent for constant work in a pro shop. I just wish Bosch sold it in the USA. Oh wait, that was how this thread got started. Back OT.

yellaD
    Pro

That kit looks sweet, clamping next to cut line good makes sense. I can’t wait to hear more from your experience with it. I wonder if Bosch will start making adapters or specific tools to work on the track soon, aside from the track saw. Exciting times ahead for the North American market!

redwood
    Pro

So, has Sven gotten to try his out yet? That’s what worries me, getting great stuff that sits.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Anonymous

@svensshutters where did you get the rail system from

yellaD
    Pro

Sweet! What goes on there?

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

in addition, the bosch tracks are identical to the mafell tracks, so everything you can put on a mafell track you can also put on the bosch.

I used this kit yesterday to layout and route holes for an MFT top. All I can say is the I think the holey rails and adapter are worth every penny.

Brad T

yellaD
    Pro

in addition, the bosch tracks are identical to the mafell tracks, so everything you can put on a mafell track you can also put on the bosch.

I used this kit yesterday to layout and route holes for an MFT top. All I can say is the I think the holey rails and adapter are worth every penny.

I saw that! It was cool how u had indexing holes for perfect 90 degrees.

Old thread I know –

I was hoping someone could confirm if the industry “common” router base used on Porter Cable (three holes in a triangle of sorts) would fit on this Bosch router base plate.
    None of the PC or similar routers (Milwaukee and some Makita models have this pattern as well) are listed in the Bosch instructions so I thought I would ask here.
    Thanks.

Scott

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Hi Scott,

I will check this afternoon for you. I only have bosch routers but I will get some measurements and take some pictures.

Brad T

Thanks – I have seen on other forums where people have indicated that the USA Bosch MRC23 / MRF23 / MRP23 has the three hole triangle PC style pattern. It would be odd for Bosch to not be compatible with that.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Sorry, I just got home and haven’t looked yet. The MR23 and 1617 do have the PC pattern but I am going to bet that the FSN OFA does not. I am pretty sure I only have it on with 2 screws. I’m off to check!

Brad T

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

Sooo.. it does have a PC pattern, it’s marked B on the bottom and list the GOF1600 which is essentially the MR23.

I was correct in thinking I am only using the two screws and I have the colt base attached!

IMG_3781 by Brad Taylor[/url], on Flickr

Brad T

Wow – Brad thanks a bunch. I had been scouring the Internet for that information. That basically opens up a few Milwaukee routers and others which have that style hole pattern on the bottom.
    I am also trying to understand in general the diversity in router bases (fixed and plunge). I had hoped to find a comprehensive chart somewhere but I don’t think it exists in one place. Just a few of the items would be:
    – fitting a PC-style router to a Festool router track base.
    – fitting a PC-style router to a Bosch router track base.
    – “translation” chart for those router models listed as compatible with the Bosch router track base to the USA equivalents.
    – How many routers have the PC style base? And a *current* list at that. I say that because the MRC23 is not listed in the charts of the PC style bases (at least none that I have found).

Coming from an IT background, I am a little baffled by the “incompatibility” but hey, this is a different industry.

Does anyone here know if the OFA base and pin system will work with the festool LR32 holey rails? Festool rails are much less expensive in NA, but having a shelf pin jin that works on it would be nice and the LR32 router base doesn’t seem to easily fit Bosch routers (I have Colts and 1617s in punge bases)

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 184 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.695 seconds