dcsimg

Frustrations with Suppliers

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    kzcarp
    Pro

The original manager passes away and now his daughter is running the place. 90% of the employees have left because she is impossible to work with. She is also driving customers away because she doesn’t like to have too much stock,many has been running out of stuff like crazy. It seems now they more often are out of what I need when they used to always always have anything I needed.

Sounds like she has a business degree and is using Just in Time Stocking. People are taught inventory on the shelf is like unused money just sitting there so everyone is reducing inventory to keep more cash on hand. The result is more back orders if you cannot anticipate demand.

Exactly. You can’t run a lumberyard JIT. Anybody that has worked in one, or done business with one could tell you that.
    That’s why I do business with the suppliers I have, plenty of stock, and what’s not in stock is kept at a central distribution center and is next day delivered to the job.

And Dan, good for you for not putting up with crappy service any longer.

kevin

Look at it like a blessing…it is forcing you to find a new supplier and one will most likely work for your business! We are fortunate that a lot of our suppliers have been so for 10 plus years…but if they quit serving our needs they are gone….it’s buisness after all.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Clev08
    Pro

The original manager passes away and now his daughter is running the place. 90% of the employees have left because she is impossible to work with. She is also driving customers away because she doesn’t like to have too much stock,many has been running out of stuff like crazy. It seems now they more often are out of what I need when they used to always always have anything I needed.

Sounds like she has a business degree and is using Just in Time Stocking. People are taught inventory on the shelf is like unused money just sitting there so everyone is reducing inventory to keep more cash on hand. The result is more back orders if you cannot anticipate demand.

Exactly. You can’t run a lumberyard JIT. Anybody that has worked in one, or done business with one could tell you that.
    That’s why I do business with the suppliers I have, plenty of stock, and what’s not in stock is kept at a central distribution center and is next day delivered to the job.

And Dan, good for you for not putting up with crappy service any longer.

kevin

Our lumber yard is good at doing same day or at least next day delivery, menards is always a week to a week and a half out. Our Raynor dealer get materials twice a week which is good enough to keep siding and trim on a job. If only we could get Windows and doors in a week or less…

Sounds like you need to build a small shed type building at the end of your laneway … put a combination type padlock on the door and share the number with the driver/company.

I take it there is no turning circle once the truck gets up your lane.

I think what I’m going to end up doing is building a stand for the sheet goods that I can put at the end of the lane and offload from the truck onto there and then I can take the sheets 3 at a time down the lane on my roof rails. The lane has a steep hill up and then down and is pretty narrow so trucks don’t like coming down it. It’s possible but not fun. We’ve had tandem axle trucks down here before but it’s never an easy thing to do. I guess it’s a trade off living right on the ocean.

Sounds like my kind of home … back in Scotland my last home was right on the North Sea, no doubt colder than where you are but none the less beautiful.

We need a dashcam video of your laneway showing the undulations in the road … and maybe give this auld (old) fella a glimpse of the watter (water)

Carpenter and Joiner

Joiner ... a person who constructs the wooden components of a building, such as stairs, doors, and door and window frames.

Carpenter ... cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork.

1970 ... to present.

woodman_412

Sounds like you need to build a small shed type building at the end of your laneway … put a combination type padlock on the door and share the number with the driver/company.

I take it there is no turning circle once the truck gets up your lane.

I think what I’m going to end up doing is building a stand for the sheet goods that I can put at the end of the lane and offload from the truck onto there and then I can take the sheets 3 at a time down the lane on my roof rails. The lane has a steep hill up and then down and is pretty narrow so trucks don’t like coming down it. It’s possible but not fun. We’ve had tandem axle trucks down here before but it’s never an easy thing to do. I guess it’s a trade off living right on the ocean.

Sounds like my kind of home … back in Scotland my last home was right on the North Sea, no doubt colder than where you are but none the less beautiful.

We need a dashcam video of your laneway showing the undulations in the road … and maybe give this auld (old) fella a glimpse of the watter (water)

Well here’s a pic taken from our back deck and another pic that I took on the beach one morning. It’s definitely a beautiful place to live, just not friendly to big delivery trucks.

My new supplier has been very helpful with the projects I have on the go. They seem to want to work for my business which is refreshing. I got more confirmation last night about why I left my former supplier. We were getting the baltic birch from that supplier for the IWK under a separate account. When I was in to the hospital last night I noticed that there was a bunch of new sheets of baltic in the shop and I was chatting with the director of the program and he showed me the invoice for it. Pretty much everything on there was screwed up from the spelling of names to the delivery charge to the number of sheets they charged for. A total mess. Might switch the IWK account over to my new supplier too.

Dan

danpattison.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Well here’s a pic taken from our back deck and another pic that I took on the beach one morning. It’s definitely a beautiful place to live, just not friendly to big delivery trucks.

Dan with that kind of view who cars about delivery trucks. Man that is nice. I think your idea of a shed at the end of the drive is a good one.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

It looks like I’m going to have a fight with my lumber yard today…the one that is “Supposed” to be better than the other guy. I’ve been waiting since Monday for a price on a door, which shouln’t be that difficult to generate. Excuse after excuse is leaving a sour taste in my mouth…

What happened to customer service? I’ll be spending around $3500 on this door! Why don’t they want my money?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

It looks like I’m going to have a fight with my lumber yard today…the one that is “Supposed” to be better than the other guy. I’ve been waiting since Monday for a price on a door, which shouln’t be that difficult to generate. Excuse after excuse is leaving a sour taste in my mouth…

What happened to customer service? I’ll be spending around $3500 on this door! Why don’t they want my money?

i don’t know where the problem lays, that happens at the lumberyard close to me. its always a pain to go there. I have to know exactly what i need and i’ll have to find the price myself on their website or flyer when i get there. maybe its the people they hire, if you hire lowest cost, those people don’t care. they are there for the hour.

Viewing 8 posts - 21 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.383 seconds