dcsimg

From garden patio & attic space to a pantry & office

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Moze
    Dallas, TX

Some before and after pics. Have about a thousand more in-progress pics, but figured I’d start with these.

A buddy of mine and I started this in March. We did the framing together (he’s the framer, I did what I could to help). With my work schedule, I had to hire most of the remainder to their specific trades (drywall, paint, trim, etc.).

Resident Sign Guy

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Looking great!
    Keep them coming.
    The pictures that is.

Doobie

Hey @moze! Nice to hear from you. Yes, more pics please, and a Merry Christmas to you and your family.

🎄

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I like the car seats!

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Thanks, all.

Yeah, the seats are out of my van lol. I wanted some seating in the office anyway and also wanted to keep these seats around for road trips/vacations with friends, so this is where they wound up.

Resident Sign Guy

Looks great , huge difference , great to hear and see you popped back in ,
    Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It came out very nice. What is that just above your desk in the ceiling? A skylight? Are those seats from your van?

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Looks great , huge difference , great to hear and see you popped back in ,
    Keep up the good work and keep the pictures coming.

Thanks, Brian. It’s been a long stinking year. I started the remodel in March and just finished a few days ago by installing the handrail and getting it stained. That was the last thing that needed to be done. My goal was to finish by the end of the year – I cut it kind of close lol.

It came out very nice. What is that just above your desk in the ceiling? A skylight? Are those seats from your van?

Thanks! Yeah, it’s a 4’x4′ skylight and yeah lol, those are seats from my van. Need to keep them but can’t keep them in the van and not enough room in the shed. Needed seating up here anyway, so there they sit lol…

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

This is how the area started. It was exterior space, approximately 19′ long, 7′ wide and around 20′ high. Half of it had a concrete pad, the rest was dirt. I needed interior storage space and an office way more than I needed this sad garden patio area. So we decided to close everything in. There was previously no roof over this section and no exterior wall at the end. We closed in the roof (it had already been added in these photos). The next step was to pour a new concrete pad covering the whole area, a footing and build the new exterior wall.

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

This is the area after being completely closed in. The exterior siding is still on the walls to the left and right. The concrete slab is in and temporarily covered with vinyl. The added wall that closed the area in is at the end. The fiberglass insulation was eventually removed when everything was spray foamed.

On the other side of the wall to the right is the garage. Above that is attic space which was turned into my office.

Resident Sign Guy

This is the area after being completely closed in. The exterior siding is still on the walls to the left and right. The pad is in and temporarily covered with vinyl. The added wall that closed the area in is visible at the end. The fiberglass insulation was eventually removed when everything was spray foamed.

Wow big enough job Moze. Good idea looked like it was a un used space. Now it’s gives you extra square footage.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

These are the plans I made in SketchUp.

The only major change made during construction was we wound up doing a single run of stairs rather than split as shown in the drawings.

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

The first load of materials and beginning of framing…

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

The attic space that became my office is on the other side of this wall. Removed about 13′ from the center and installed a LVL header to span the distance.

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Next was installing I-joists above the garage for the floor of the office. These were sistered to the existing joists when possible and placed every 12″ or so. These were later shored up from underneath by adding doubled or tripled studs.
    Then decking…

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Next was framing in for the closets, back wall and half-walls in the office.

The ‘closet’ on the right is more just access to the duct work, gas lines, etc on that side. The closet on the left is about 3′ deep and leads back to storage behind that rear wall.

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Next was installing the ceiling joists above the stairs/foyer. I wound up having to relocate a few of these to accommodate the lighting and registers.

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Ductwork was ran, then next was framing for the window at the top of the landing and for the skylight in the office.

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Next was opening up the wall in our current entryway – what used to be the wall with the door leading out to the garden patio area.

We also installed a pocket door at the top of the landing going into the attic on the other side of the house. This space is unfinished but is great for storage. The blown in insulation has since been removed and the whole attic now has spray foam insulation. It’s much cleaner, brighter (surprisingly so) and obviously more energy efficient.

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Next, I removed all of the drywall and fiberglass insulation in the garage. The joists needed to be shored up and the drywall was in pretty rough shape anyway. So we took this opportunity to basically redo the whole garage.

Resident Sign Guy

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.644 seconds