dcsimg

Free wood=small projects.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

This is all free wood , its old but free 🙂

Attachments:
    staker
    Pro

There are a few houses that were built from scrap 2×6 by 2 feet long in some of the sawmill towns around here. They lay them flat and stagger the joint for a solid 6 inch wall. Don’t know if they add some type of interior insulation.

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Building a house out of scrap wood is interesting.It would be cool to see pictures along the way.

Anonymous
    Inactive

When your doing crafts its almost required to get material cheap or you can’t sell it for enough to make it worth while. I used to go to some specialty wood mills and they’d sell cut offs large enough for small projects for a reasonable price. Years ago they’d give the stuff to you to get rid of it. Hard to get anything free anymore. Nowadays you even pay for someone else’s garbage.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Got this pile of wood at Ikea,

Where does one pick up a pile of wood at Ikea? Good job man, looks good!

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I didn’t know that ikea even uses wood 🙂

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Building a house out of scrap wood is interesting.It would be cool to see pictures along the way.

I lived in a house as a kid made entirely of reclaimed wood from box cars. The owner worked in a rail yard and as they dismantled the box cars to be refitted he used the wood to build a house. Neat old place, it was up on Coraopolis Rd and the property went all the down to the Ohio River, right across from about where Neville Island is.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

I didn’t know that ikea even uses wood :-)

actually they had all the wood shrink wrapped in a large shopping cart with a hand made sign that said “handyman special”. i couldnt pass it up lol. It’s a bunch of random pieces to cabinets, shelves, and the like. I’ve re-purposed them for some small shelves i’ve made in the garage to hold small things.

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

So I was working a bit with some of the Tigerwood scraps I snagged from the reno job and was getting TONS of tearout while planing . Pretty sure I’m going to have to get better with my sharpening skills to get this product smooth.
    I did manage to find a way to remove the finish from it though… All I did was throw a 3/4″ straight cutter in my router and set it to the depth of a card scraper to remove the aluminium oxide finish. Worked pretty good, and there’s little rework left to do.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

When people give me scraps of wood, most times it ends up in my fire pit. Got a brother in law who works at a specialty wood shop and will give me the scraps.

@asevereid
    , Can’t wait to see some finished products that you make with the scraps. Just noticed you are in BC, there must be some mills around that you can muster up some scraps for nothing?

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Have any of you tried intarsia? I think it is a great use of scrap wood.
    I have done some and my dad used to do a lot of it.
    Here are some pictures of intarsia :
    https://www.google.com/search?q=intarsia&rlz=1T4VRHB_enUS621US621&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CFoQsARqFQoTCPLn8cT3iMYCFfhIjAodc3gMkA&biw=1680&bih=860

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

So I was working a bit with some of the Tigerwood scraps I snagged from the reno job and was getting TONS of tearout while planing . Pretty sure I’m going to have to get better with my sharpening skills to get this product smooth.
    I did manage to find a way to remove the finish from it though… All I did was throw a 3/4″ straight cutter in my router and set it to the depth of a card scraper to remove the aluminium oxide finish. Worked pretty good, and there’s little rework left to do.

How did you manage to keep the router at a consistent height? It seem like the more you cut, the lower the router base would go…making you cut deeper yet.

Maybe try sitting two additional pieces of the tiger wood along the sides of the piece you are cutting. This will allow the router to stay at he same height while you are removing material from the center piece.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I just pivoted the base down the length, rocking the bit across the width of the board. The last 3″ were free hand.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Scraps and offcuts are great for small projects. We have several small shops nearby making for good pickings. Boxes are my first choice … anything up to about 14 – 15″ max dimension.
    Here’s one project from offcuts ..

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Attachments:
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Scraps and offcuts are great for small projects. We have several small shops nearby making for good pickings. Boxes are my first choice … anything up to about 14 – 15″ max dimension.

Very nice project Peter. Really like the traditional design. The fact it was built with scraps and cut-offs is icing on the cake.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Nice looking box! I love the dovetails too! What kind of Wood did you use?

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Very nice project Peter. Really like the traditional design. The fact it was built with scraps and cut-offs is icing on the cake.

Design comes from my background as an antique dealer many years ago. Traditional is my first choice but modern has merits sometimes, too.

Nice looking box! I love the dovetails too! What kind of Wood did you use?

Box is birch and cherry. Interior trays are cherry.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I like the use of different woods. Looks nice with different colors.
    Do you have trouble holding all the small pieces?

redwood
    Pro

Not free and not small, but I used to buy lumber wholesale from a mill on the coast. Whenever I would go in to pickup units of stock redwood, I would look around for units of extremely weathered redwood. They would sell them to me for almost nothing. Like 10 cents on the dollar. It was really only the outside pieces that were black, and even those could be sanded.

On my house, I used it for the exposed cathedral ceilings, all my exterior trim, and all the decks.

Sadly, they don’t do that any longer. The cost and availability of redwood is just too high for them to let it go cheap.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I like the use of different woods. Looks nice with different colors.
    Do you have trouble holding all the small pieces?

LOL you got it! Those little pieces are enough to give me fits sometimes.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.630 seconds