dcsimg

Free wood=small projects.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I used to be able to go to a local veneer plant and pick up 5/4 alder blanks that were culled from the veneer process; but they have limited this practice now and simply buck up the culled wood and throw it into a box for firewood.
    I’ve got some time off from work due to a shortage of work and thought that I would swing by the plant and grab a few pieces to play with. They’re pretty wet still so I won’t be able to do anything with ’em for a couple months…but at least that gives me time to plan out what I’ll do with them.
    All 5/4 alder…and the plant manager said I can get an order of 5/4 or 6/4 No.1 or Select Clear through him at $2-$5 a bd. ft.
    When things pick up for me again, I think I’m going to place an order.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/za0ump5khljpds1/AAD8yZJkd5rTwvv9CBnVJd7ca

I know they look like scraps (they are), but in a couple of months they’ll be…well…something.

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

I would love to see pics of what you end up making. It would be a challenge to think of various projects you could do. Have fun!

asevereid
    Pro
    Kamloops, BC

I think I see several boxes in my future….:D

Lurking Hit and Run poster.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

We always have some sort of scrap. Would love to see what you do with it

A Working Pro since 2004

I look forward to see the finished product from your scraps of alder .

Always willing to learn .

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Nice, I wish I had a place like that to go to. It’s nice to have some stuff that is nice but cheap enough to be creative with.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I think that’s a great use of “scraps” It urks me to no end that they just want to get rid of it vs letting someone put it to good use.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

Hmmm…it is a cool way to use scrap wood. Not sure if paying $5 bd ft is a good deal…you can buy regular stock for that price or around there. I would probably negotiate a little on price unless that is the going rate in your area.

Orange County, CA

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Can’t beat free wood. Hope to see pics of the projects soon.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Nyx
    Pro
    Pittsburgh, PA

Got this pile of wood at Ikea, and here is a project that came out of it.

Looking good. We keep the beverages out in the garage too.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

There’s a few mill shops in my area that put their drops and waste out free for the taking. I never seem to hit it just right, it’s usually picked clean when I stop.

tagordy60
    Pro
    Barnesville, GA

Always check your local cabinet shops too….just a lil FYI

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

I used to get all sorts of off cuts/culls from a door shop. But sadly they don’t do that anymore.

I like working with Alder, it’s a nice wood.

But living in a treeless plain all wood is $$

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

I have done something similar with a few small shops in my area, I found a few who had scraps of exotic woods which has been great for using as accent pieces in small projects.

Make sure to give that wood a long time to dry, the usual air dry time is 1 year per 1″ of wood thickness from being fresh cut, so take that into consideration.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

Can’t wait to see how it turns out

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Just used up some clear pine cutoffs to make 2 frames for my daughters painting. Got the canvas on a roll and streched them. She is happy and I have a boat load of canavas left for xmas presents for her.

Called the art supply shops, canvas is about 21$ a yard, so I asked how much for a roll. 3+ yards for 40$. This stuff is preprimed.

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

I would like some free lumber for projects!
    Looking forward to the finished project, what you come up with to build out of scraps.

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I would like some free lumber for projects!
    Looking forward to the finished project, what you come up with to build out of scraps.

If you lived closer id give you all kinds of scrap wood .

Anonymous
    Inactive

For craftwork a lot of small pieces can be used. Any way to get the wood cheap is good because material osts eat into your profit on craft sales.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.639 seconds