dcsimg

Framing nails vs screws

Viewing 18 posts - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    monman1
    Pro

Why are you using spirals for basic framing? Probably a lot of fun to pull out if someone changes something or makes a mistake.

i cant stand spiral nails and spikes.. in renovations you have to tack something in place and check things constantly… using spirals is a total nightmare.. the shank of the nail holds but when you go to pull the nail the bloody head of it pulls off and the rest of the nail stays in teh wood…..

They are about the same to pull out as a gun nail most of the time, but there are times that they don’t budge whether there hand or gun nail.

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have a store locally that stocks the GRK Screws in bulk. it is called Fleet Farm. I have not found a way to buy them any less expensive than there. They have about 25 or 30 stores in the Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin area.

@kurtwelkerhomes-com

I buy mine at my local yard and Menards. They seem to have a great selection of GRK and Spax screws.

I get them at Menards also but the closest is about 30 miles vs about 2 miles to the Fleet Farm store fromy shop. You cant beat the GRK, Spax and FastenMaster selection and prices at Menards

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We use spiral nails 3 1/4 long by 12d in diameter, for our hand nailing needs.

We use Hot Dipped Galvies at all time for framing.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

BeardedCarpenter
    Pro
    Winsted, CT

I’ve never framed anything using screws. Gun spikes are used primarily, hand spikes in a pinch. Hangers are always installed using the appropriate joist hanger nails.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

Nail it all due to speed. I only use screws if I am adding something, building something to be taken apart “temp walls” or at home because its easier to grab the impact for small projects over charging the compressor

Doobie

Been using a lot of GRK screws to finish up some roofing framing rather than nails. Having stripped or snapped one yet. Just love these torx head screws.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Been using a lot of GRK screws to finish up some roofing framing rather than nails. Having stripped or snapped one yet. Just love these torx head screws.

I’m a big fan of GRK products too…but I don’t frame with them. I only use screws for the smallest jobs/when it’s not practical to pull out the framing gun and compressor.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

When framing walls, headers, corners and tees I use the nail gun. If I’m adding a ceiling fan to an existing house I use guard dog screws and my impactor. I’ve also used the guard dogs on the last porch I built mainly because I don’t own a framing gun myself and I didn’t feel like hand driving a bunch of twist nails.

Anything is possible if your wallet is thick enough ~ my father

Clev08
    Pro

What would be the advantage of using screws?

Easier to remove?

Only if you can get at the screws, when doing remodels sometimes I have to take out studs that we’re screwed in from the other side. They are a pain in the butt and that is why I never frame with screws.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Only if you can get at the screws, when doing remodels sometimes I have to take out studs that we’re screwed in from the other side. They are a pain in the butt and that is why I never frame with screws.

Good point. Framing with nails is the way to go.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

When I build a deck I will frame it using nails but when it comes to the decking and railings I screw everything .Anything that is visible gets screwed

Doobie

I’m a big fan of GRK products too…but I don’t frame with them. I only use screws for the smallest jobs/when it’s not practical to pull out the framing gun and compressor.

I used them because I was unsure about some of the things I was doing and felt the screws were easier to deal with if I wanted to correct things. Most all framing I do is with nails for their ease of use and their shear strngth although the GRK’s I use are rated as structural screws also.

When I build a deck I will frame it using nails but when it comes to the decking and railings I screw everything .Anything that is visible gets screwed

Will you attach the deck to house with throw bolts or it will be freestanding

Always willing to learn .

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I have done it both ways .If it is a second storey deck then I will bolt them through the wall , if the deck is low to the ground then I will drill extra holes and keep it separate from the house.
    Will you attach the deck to house with throw bolts or it will be freestanding

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I keep both with me at all times. Each application is done best with one or the other. With screws I have to keep so many with me from trim head SS to self drilling depending on what I’m doing.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

I keep both with me at all times. Each application is done best with one or the other. With screws I have to keep so many with me from trim head SS to self drilling depending on what I’m doing.

I’m assuming everything should be treated with some material in your climate .

Always willing to learn .

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think he already answered that one…on this page no less 🙂

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Doobie

I think he already answered that one…on this page no less :)

Most of us are lucky in that we don’t have to deal with salt air conditions living so close to an ocean. Just glad I don’t have to adhere to some of Nanny rules/restrictions like in Calif. Mark @Redmond would know what I’m talking about.

Viewing 18 posts - 101 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.626 seconds