dcsimg

Framing nails vs screws

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

however what about structural screws than?

Totally acceptable IMO. Structural screws are really the best of the nail and screw worlds. Sure, they cost more, but they give you the advantages of each fastener type.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

however what about structural screws than?

Totally acceptable IMO. Structural screws are really the best of the nail and screw worlds. Sure, they cost more, but they give you the advantages of each fastener type.

all right, that is the answer I need to know for when I build a shed.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Good to know they are making these now. Thank you Jon

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

http://www.grkfasteners.com/index.php/en/products/rss/rss-rugged

GRK makes what I’d consider the best structural screws.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

@r-ice

Don’t forget Ardox nails. A good Canuck altenative.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@r-ice

ill have to look into this, do the big box stores carry em, i don’t think i’ve heard of em before.

Lakelover
    Pro
    Fort Qu'Appelle, SK

Ohhh
    Think of spiral nails. Nails with a twist. great holding power.

I tryed to get a good link but could not.

Yes the BB will have them. Easy to drive but a PITA to pull out.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I forgot about spiral nails. You are right really tough to remove.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

@r-ice

ill have to look into this, do the big box stores carry em, i don’t think i’ve heard of em before.

You can find them at the big bos stores, HD and Lowes might have a different name for them.
    Home Hardware and Rona both come up with a google search for Ardox Nails.

I think most nails that I have in my arsenal have a spiral to them except for the smaller trim nails.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

@r-ice

You can find them at the big bos stores, HD and Lowes might have a different name for them.
    Home Hardware and Rona both come up with a google search for Ardox Nails.

I think most nails that I have in my arsenal have a spiral to them except for the smaller trim nails.

I don’t need any right now, as I am not framing anything, but I am heading over the depot or lowes later today to take a look at some laminate. I may pick up a laminate guillotine cutter to make fast work of cutting them down to size. I’ll have to pick up jigsaw blades for laminate to do the lengthwise cuts.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

We do use a lot more screws than we used to. I do like to screw in braces. Makes them easy to adjust, easy to take off.

http://www.grkfasteners.com/index.php/en/products/rss/rss-rugged

GRK makes what I’d consider the best structural screws.

Thanks for reminding me – I need to order more. Amazon is the cheapest source Ive found

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have a store locally that stocks the GRK Screws in bulk. it is called Fleet Farm. I have not found a way to buy them any less expensive than there. They have about 25 or 30 stores in the Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin area.

yellaD
    Pro

Nails.

No question really. I will use screws when the framing is minimal and also non structural. Nails are really the better option for shear reasons, they are just stronger. Screws resist pull out better….not really new info I know.

Another factor is that nails are typically a lot cheaper to use and they drive faster. Screws require a second hand ( one on the screw, another on the impact driver….and then you can’t really hold onto the stud…)

Awesome point! I never thought about that. re:nails , is there a minimum gauge/length I should use?

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

I like to use screws when adding stuff to my garage. Hammering always makes stuff fall off the walls.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Nails.

No question really. I will use screws when the framing is minimal and also non structural. Nails are really the better option for shear reasons, they are just stronger. Screws resist pull out better….not really new info I know.

Another factor is that nails are typically a lot cheaper to use and they drive faster. Screws require a second hand ( one on the screw, another on the impact driver….and then you can’t really hold onto the stud…)

Awesome point! I never thought about that. re:nails , is there a minimum gauge/length I should use?

16d nails generally. 3 1/2″ long.

As for the spiral nails…what diameter are they? Shear strength?

Jon P.
    Instagram

monman1
    Pro

We use spiral nails 3 1/4 long by 12d in diameter, for our hand nailing needs.

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

We use spiral nails 3 1/4 long by 12d in diameter, for our hand nailing needs.

Why are you using spirals for basic framing? Probably a lot of fun to pull out if someone changes something or makes a mistake.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i cant stand spiral nails and spikes.. in renovations you have to tack something in place and check things constantly… using spirals is a total nightmare.. the shank of the nail holds but when you go to pull the nail the bloody head of it pulls off and the rest of the nail stays in teh wood…..

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

We have a store locally that stocks the GRK Screws in bulk. it is called Fleet Farm. I have not found a way to buy them any less expensive than there. They have about 25 or 30 stores in the Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin area.

@kurtwelkerhomes-com

I buy mine at my local yard and Menards. They seem to have a great selection of GRK and Spax screws.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 81 through 100 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.680 seconds