dcsimg

Framing nails vs screws

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Awesome!! thanks for the responses guys, it was just a thought as I was watching a buddy build his shed.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I like those screws for tight spots. Sometimes you just don’t have room to get a hanger nailer in a tight spot and I have never had good luck with palm nailers and dense lvl beams.

I got a palm nailer for free from the lumber yard about a year ago. I ordered a bunch of lumber connectors when it was on sale and they tossed it in for free.

Which one do you have? I think mine is a Grip Fast. No idea how it would do with an LVL.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a grip fast and it works well in about anything. I had a project way back where we had to sister a bunch of LVL’s to existing floor joist and there was not room to get a gun in between so we did it all with a balm nailer. I think I had a guy on the palm nailer for about a week.

we had 30 joist to reinforce that were 24 feet long and had a nail every 3″ along the top and bottom edge of the LVL. it worked out to over 4000 nails to drive with the palm nailer.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We use HDG screws throughout our decks, even on joist hangers. It’s how my husband taught me. Interior I’m sure he would use nails, but we rarely ever do anything inside.

I am not aware of any joist hangers that allow screws to be used, with the exception of the Simpson sds screws.

I used to always use roofing nails to put joist hangers on but I just recently found out they actually have specific nails for them .

10d 1 1/2″ HDG nails only on hangers. I’ve heard of the Simpsons you mentioned Warren, but the inspectors won’t accept them here based on a conversation I had with one another f them several months back.

Anything of a lesser diameter and they just don’t have the necessary strength. @tarac what are you using? I guess your inspectors are okay with them?

If you use the 1.5″ nails, instead of the exact nails specified in the Simpson or USP catalog, you have to reduce the carrying capacity of the hanger by 25% from that specified in the catalog. You can not use the 1.5′ nails for the slant nail hangers. If we only have a few hangers to install, we use the
    Simpson or USP screws, otherwise we use the Paslode positive placement gun with the 1 .5″ or 2.5″ hails depending on what is required. Both Simpson and USP allow the screws as a replacement for the same length nails in their hangers. Code officials or plans examiners should also.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

it worked out to over 4000 nails to drive with the palm nailer.

That was a lot of work. Does not sound like a fun job at all.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

I learned a very valuable lesson in my early years in framing, thankfully while working for someone else. We were framing a small 2 story hotel. There were balconies on the front and back. We used 8 penny nails to install the hangers. The inspector said no go and we had to pull every nail and replace them with the correct ones. I can say that was probably the last time I used the wrong nails…lol!

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Anonymous
    Inactive

We use HDG screws throughout our decks, even on joist hangers. It’s how my husband taught me. Interior I’m sure he would use nails, but we rarely ever do anything inside.

I am not aware of any joist hangers that allow screws to be used, with the exception of the Simpson sds screws.

I used to always use roofing nails to put joist hangers on but I just recently found out they actually have specific nails for them .

10d 1 1/2″ HDG nails only on hangers. I’ve heard of the Simpsons you mentioned Warren, but the inspectors won’t accept them here based on a conversation I had with one another f them several months back.

Anything of a lesser diameter and they just don’t have the necessary strength. @tarac what are you using? I guess your inspectors are okay with them?

If you use the 1.5″ nails, instead of the exact nails specified in the Simpson or USP catalog, you have to reduce the carrying capacity of the hanger by 25% from that specified in the catalog. You can not use the 1.5′ nails for the slant nail hangers. If we only have a few hangers to install, we use the
    Simpson or USP screws, otherwise we use the Paslode positive placement gun with the 1 .5″ or 2.5″ hails depending on what is required. Both Simpson and USP allow the screws as a replacement for the same length nails in their hangers. Code officials or plans examiners should also.

@ kurt@welkerhomes.com and @jponto07 had a bit of an emergency last night during this conversation. On the face plate we use simposon strong tie 1.5’s and we use the simpson 2.5’s on the diagonal. Yes the 16d double dipped are stronger, but you can still pull a nail out, you can’t pull a screw out. This has been approved and guided by plans examiners in 3 states, Ohio, KY and IN. Since husband has taught me this way, have had no question or issue from examiners or inspectors. Only issue we’ve ever had was on the simpson strong tie brackets DTT2’s.

TimelessQuality
    Pro
    Central America, (Kansas)

Since I’m usually a one man show, I’ll use a few screws to ‘hold’ joists in place then I’ll go back and bang in the hangers…

Framing walls and stuff the gun is the way to go.

So the answer to ‘Screws or nails?’ is ‘Yes’ 😉

--Steve

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I learned a very valuable lesson in my early years in framing, thankfully while working for someone else. We were framing a small 2 story hotel. There were balconies on the front and back. We used 8 penny nails to install the hangers. The inspector said no go and we had to pull every nail and replace them with the correct ones. I can say that was probably the last time I used the wrong nails…lol!

I bet that sucked pulling all those nails. lol

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Doobie

Generally for me, where there’s shear, nails, where there’s pull, screws.

jzmtl
    Pro
    Montreal, QC

Hahaha, oh man that sounds like fun.

Generally for me, where there’s shear, nails, where there’s pull, screws.

That’s how I choose too.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

oh that sucks. thats some work for the new guy in the group lol or for the apprentice

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

oh that sucks. thats some work for the new guy in the group lol or for the apprentice

Oh no…everyone in the crew got in on that one! It was only right. Still sucked pulling all those nails…and then of course installing the new longer, larger nails.

Andrew

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Great point. I don’t believe I’ve ever needed more than the 1 1/2″ size. I don’t use too many hangers, so I haven’t come across the need for longer screws.

How do you know what size to use? Does it depend upon the depth of what the hanger/hardware is mounted to? If so, I don’t believe I’ve hung one on anything more than a 2x thickness.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

Great point. I don’t believe I’ve ever needed more than the 1 1/2″ size. I don’t use too many hangers, so I haven’t come across the need for longer screws.

How do you know what size to use? Does it depend upon the depth of what the hanger/hardware is mounted to? If so, I don’t believe I’ve hung one on anything more than a 2x thickness.

Simpson puts out a catalog that lists all the fasteners/nailing. I am sure it is also available online.

Our bigger hangers are usually for truss girders and the trusses hanging from the girders. They are supplied by our truss company with the nails speced. Big beam hangers also get speced by the supplier.

Regular joist hangers are usually fine with the 1.5″ 10d nails.

Andrew

Doobie

The ones that goes in at an angle needs to be 2 1/2 so it can bite into the rim joist.

Simpson puts out a catalog that lists all the fasteners/nailing. I am sure it is also available online.

I order one every year from them. Their main catalogue and others can be ordered or downloaded online. That reminds me, I should ask if they have any stickers! 😉

How do codes vary? Are screws allowed ?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

. That reminds me, I should ask if they have any stickers! 😉

Tried that…no answer:(

I’ll find that catalogue rather than relying on what the guy at they yard says..

Jon P.
    Instagram

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

How do codes vary? Are screws allowed ?

I don’t think it is really a code thing Ed. It is more about what the manufacturer of the hardware specifies.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.619 seconds