dcsimg

Framing nails vs screws

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

When you guys are framing, do you prefer nails or screws? I’ve been researching into this. My buddy just built a shed and I noticed all of his were screwed in and I thought nails were supposed to be used in the frames.

Here’s the deal.

There are structural screws, and non-structural.

A non-structural would be something like a deck screw. A structural screw would be something like a GRK or Simpson. They are very strong, but wildly expensive to try to frame a whole house with them.

Nails have tremendous strength in shear, but are subject to pull-out. This is why nails are never used where subject to withdrawal forces, like a deck ledger.

Screw are very resistant to pull-out, but are weak in shear.

So no, we would not frame a house with deck or drywall screws. Nails are also a lot faster, even without a nail gun. And far cheaper, even than deck screws.

Delta

Well said , it is the truth no matter how someone looks at it 🙂

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I believe deck screws would still be considered a structural, drywall screws would be considered non structural. They tend to be brittle and break easier. in general, if the screw bends it is OK, if it breaks, no good.

Most codes will allow a nail to be replaced with a screw of equivalent length.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I believe deck screws would still be considered a structural, drywall screws would be considered non structural. They tend to be brittle and break easier. in general, if the screw bends it is OK, if it breaks, no good.

Most codes will allow a nail to be replaced with a screw of equivalent length.

I regularly break off deck screws with a single hammer blow, pretty much the same as drywall screws.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

As a framer, I would only use a structural screw where it was spec’d by an engineer. I do use them a lot in remodeling, and have found a lot of uses for the Timberlocks and Ledgerlocks.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

If it’s couple handfuls of fasteners, it may not be practical to pull out the compressor and framing gun.

Uhmmmmm…..We have hammers.

Delta

What are we? Animals?

:)

I’ve actually pulled pneumatic nails apart and hammered them home a time or two to avoid the compressor hassle.

Nails.

No question really. I will use screws when the framing is minimal and also non structural. Nails are really the better option for shear reasons, they are just stronger. Screws resist pull out better….not really new info I know.

Another factor is that nails are typically a lot cheaper to use and they drive faster. Screws require a second hand ( one on the screw, another on the impact driver….and then you can’t really hold onto the stud…)

this is what I read, and I was curious as to everyones thought on it. will there be a huge amount of shear force on the actual connector itself to use nails?

Connector? As in a joist hanger for example? Perfect example of when you should use nails, proper type at that.

Good discussion guys!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Anonymous
    Inactive

We use HDG screws throughout our decks, even on joist hangers. It’s how my husband taught me. Interior I’m sure he would use nails, but we rarely ever do anything inside.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

We use HDG screws throughout our decks, even on joist hangers. It’s how my husband taught me. Interior I’m sure he would use nails, but we rarely ever do anything inside.

I am not aware of any joist hangers that allow screws to be used, with the exception of the Simpson sds screws.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I am not aware of any joist hangers that allow screws to be used, with the exception of the Simpson sds screws.

I used to always use roofing nails to put joist hangers on but I just recently found out they actually have specific nails for them .

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I primarily use nails when framing. But will use screws sometimes to hold something that might need to be moved or adjusted.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sometimes, I use a screw to hold things in place while I get my hammering done. Dont need to do that with a nailer though

We use screws for smaller framing items. Small bath walls, reno soffits, etc.

For additions, basements, houses, definitely nails and 95% of the time with a framing nailer. Time is money.

Basic wood screws are not structurally rated and do not have the shear rating that nails do.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I used to always use roofing nails to put joist hangers on but I just recently found out they actually have specific nails for them .

10d 1 1/2″ HDG nails only on hangers. I’ve heard of the Simpsons you mentioned Warren, but the inspectors won’t accept them here based on a conversation I had with one another f them several months back.

Anything of a lesser diameter and they just don’t have the necessary strength. @tarac what are you using? I guess your inspectors are okay with them?

Jon P.
    Instagram

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

10d 1 1/2″ HDG nails only on hangers. I’ve heard of the Simpsons you mentioned Warren, but the inspectors won’t accept them here based on a conversation I had with one another f them several months back.

Anything of a lesser diameter and they just don’t have the necessary strength. @tarac whales are you using? I guess your inspectors are okay with them?

The 1 1/2″ nails are fine on just the single joist hangers. When you start using doubles or truss hangers, often the nails need to be the 3″ variety.

Warren6810
    Pro
    Akron, OH

I only use the sds screws when they are called out by my engineering.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

for production work nails are the sure fire winner for me.. n the time it takes a impact driver to put in 2 or 3 screws i can shoot 2 or 3 studs in place .. screws are handy for spots when something might need to be changed such as a door location or for tight spots that you cant get a framing gun into so ill use a long driver bit on the impact

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anything of a lesser diameter and they just don’t have the necessary strength. @tarac whales are you using? I guess your inspectors are okay with them?

we do use the simpson strong ties at times when needed, and we do use the 16d double dipped galvanized or stainless on the hangers. I’m used to putting HDG used throughout on the bottom of my estimates for the homeowners sake. I the plan examiners her in Hamilton county had their way, they would insist on simpson every time.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I the plan examiners her in Hamilton county had their way, they would insist on simpson every time.

Interesting. I’ll have to check with my inspectors again…maybe they’ve changed their minds.

Jon P.
    Instagram

Anonymous
    Inactive

I the plan examiners her in Hamilton county had their way, they would insist on simpson every time.

Interesting. I’ll have to check with my inspectors again…maybe they’ve changed their minds.

yes the 1.5″ simpson strong tie screws

I like those screws for tight spots. Sometimes you just don’t have room to get a hanger nailer in a tight spot and I have never had good luck with palm nailers and dense lvl beams.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Here’s the deal.

Delta, Thank you for the very good explanation.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.574 seconds