dcsimg

Framing nails vs screws

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 118 total)
  • Author
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

When you guys are framing, do you prefer nails or screws? I’ve been researching into this. My buddy just built a shed and I noticed all of his were screwed in and I thought nails were supposed to be used in the frames.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Either will work fine. Nails much cheaper than screws.
    If its a small job I will sometimes use screws. I love using deck screws anymore. It would get very expensive to frame a house using screws.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I’ve always used nails. Faster, cheaper and solid. What would be the advantage of using screws?

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

kswiss
    Pro
    edmonton, AB

What would be the advantage of using screws?

Easier to remove?

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Nails.

No question really. I will use screws when the framing is minimal and also non structural. Nails are really the better option for shear reasons, they are just stronger. Screws resist pull out better….not really new info I know.

Another factor is that nails are typically a lot cheaper to use and they drive faster. Screws require a second hand ( one on the screw, another on the impact driver….and then you can’t really hold onto the stud…)

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I’ve always used nails. Faster, cheaper and solid. What would be the advantage of using screws?

If it’s couple handfuls of fasteners, it may not be practical to pull out the compressor and framing gun.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Nails.

No question really. I will use screws when the framing is minimal and also non structural. Nails are really the better option for shear reasons, they are just stronger. Screws resist pull out better….not really new info I know.

Another factor is that nails are typically a lot cheaper to use and they drive faster. Screws require a second hand ( one on the screw, another on the impact driver….and then you can’t really hold onto the stud…)

this is what I read, and I was curious as to everyones thought on it. will there be a huge amount of shear force on the actual connector itself to use nails?

Also depends – a structural screw will be more than strong enough, but cost a LOT more than a nail.

Not everywhere will allow framing with screws either.

But I keep a stack of GRK RSS screws handy for a quick, good, frame. Sometimes, I dont want to pull out a nailer and compressor, and I really never liked swinging a hammer (this from a neanderthal woodworker too)

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

If it’s couple handfuls of fasteners, it may not be practical to pull out the compressor and framing gun.

or some peeps dont even have a framing gun 😛
    but they can still do it the old fashion way.
    hammer and nails

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Easier to remove?

yeah that for sure.
    and everyone feels safe to use it.
    i know quite a few peeps who would never touch a framing gun 😛

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Maybe I’m just old fashioned, but for a small job, I usually just grab a hammer and a handful of nails. Quick and easy.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

or some peeps dont even have a framing gun 😛
    but they can still do it the old fashion way.
    hammer and nails

I’ll second the Framing Gun, can be just as quick or even quicker than a drill driver.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

No back out or loosening over time.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC
    (and also the World's Fastest Poster)

All good opinions for both, I tend to use both myself, depending on the size of the work involved, sure the framing gun is faster, but if it is only a small upgrade or frame to build, then I will use screws. Actually this summer I used the old hammer and nails for my friend at the stable, that was fun.

redwood
    Pro

I think using screws is just a convenience, that and the ability to easily remove them and start over if necessary. The best use of screws in construction are the times where nail pops occur, such as decking or drywall. The downside of using screws comes in situations that are not applicable. Such as in structural work, unless you use structural screws.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

I use both equally , If I am building a deck ill use nails for the main framing and anything that is hidden .When it comes to things that may need to be replaced later such as the decking or railings I will use screws . I wont use screws for anything structural .

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

Uhmmmmm…..We have hammers.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Anonymous
    Inactive

Professionals use nail guns for framing, 99% of the time, and with good reason.

Uhmmmmm…..We have hammers.

Delta

What are we? Animals?

🙂

Seven-Delta-FortyOne
    Pro
    The Emerald Triangle, Northern California

When you guys are framing, do you prefer nails or screws? I’ve been researching into this. My buddy just built a shed and I noticed all of his were screwed in and I thought nails were supposed to be used in the frames.

Here’s the deal.

There are structural screws, and non-structural.

A non-structural would be something like a deck screw. A structural screw would be something like a GRK or Simpson. They are very strong, but wildly expensive to try to frame a whole house with them.

Nails have tremendous strength in shear, but are subject to pull-out. This is why nails are never used where subject to withdrawal forces, like a deck ledger.

Screw are very resistant to pull-out, but are weak in shear.

So no, we would not frame a house with deck or drywall screws. Nails are also a lot faster, even without a nail gun. And far cheaper, even than deck screws.

Delta

Goin' Down In Flames........

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 118 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
queries. 0.588 seconds