dcsimg

FRAMING NAILERS\M/Coil or stick?

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Author
    Dustincoc
    Pro
    Madrid, NY

I’ve onl seen/used stick nailers so can’t really comment on the advantages/disadvantages bersus coil.

Sticks are easier to carry in the pouch and much quicker to load.

Shop Blog: http://ravenbarsrepair.tumblr.com/
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz498FKw9LF1awJsKIqhoxQ

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

When I was building chicken barns we used coil framing nailers… didn’t want to waste time changing out nails I guess. Framing houses all I’ve used have been stick. Yes, the coil framers are heavy. I remember when I was young I’d stand in front of a mirror and flex my arms…my right arm was a lot bigger than my left, and I blamed it on those heavy nailers. That and the 28 oz. Estwing I thought I needed to have…

It only takes a split second longer to load a coil gun and you aren’t loading it as much as a stick nailer. I have a collapsible rafter hook on my gun’s. I have no problem hanging it off my belt. The weight isn’t really that different from the stick nailer, it’s just dispersed different.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I’ve only used stick nailers. Haven’t felt the need for a coil nailer. But then again I’m not a full time framer.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

How are these coils held together?

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have never used a coil framing nailer but it seems like it would be nice for nailing off roofs.

I think that’s where they shine is in nailing roofs.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I have never used a coil framing nailer but it seems like it would be nice for nailing off roofs.

I think that’s where they shine is in nailing roofs.

With those smaller nails it’s not so bad weight wise plus it’s quicker with less reloading but that’s where coil nailers should stay.

I have used both, while the coil nailer is heavier, it doesn’t have the long magazine and will fit in tighter spots a bit easier.

Lately I use my NR90ad exclusively, it seems to have way more power than my old bostitch coiler.

Wire.

delrock
    Pro
    kinnelon, NJ

I have used both, while the coil nailer is heavier, it doesn’t have the long magazine and will fit in tighter spots a bit easier.

Lately I use my NR90ad exclusively, it seems to have way more power than my old bostitch coiler.

Wire.

we have like 12 hitachis and 1 bostitch and everyone hates using the bostitch cause its so much bigger and heavier and just all around terrible. that thing rarely leaves the truck. we have hooks on all of our guns.

Stick nailers for us. No reason in particular other than its what we have always used.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

SamM
    Pro
    Halifax, NS

I’ve used both but 90% of my experience has been coil. I use a stick nailer for nailing off decks.

I prefer the coil nailer because it’s more compact, and there’s way less reloading. I figure with a stick nailer, you can handle carrying a bunch of
    Sticks in your pouch for sure, but at some point you gotta refill your pouch too. I figure that you with sticks will be heading to refill your pouch the same time I’m heading for a new coil.

I was looking at nailers online today. A Max brand coil nailer is only 7.6 pounds. Pretty damn close to the weight of a stick nailer.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

DirtyWhiteBoy wrote:

Wire.

Dam that must smart when pulling a nail out of yourself!

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I was looking at nailers online today. A Max brand coil nailer is only 7.6 pounds. Pretty damn close to the weight of a stick nailer.

I have a stick max gun. It’s great. I’ll probably add another in the future. I’m curious on how their finish guns perform too.

choadjmd@aol.com
    Pro
    New Cumberland, PA

Stick framer all the way.

DirtyWhiteBoy wrote:

Wire.

I have never tried it, but yes I imagine it does.

thedude306
    Foam Lake, SK

I was looking at the max nailer. Seemed to have a nice short head. Nice to see some like them here.

Brad T
    Self employed Pro since 2014!!

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have a stick max gun. It’s great. I’ll probably add another in the future. I’m curious on how their finish guns perform too.

Every body I know that has them loves them! I’ve tried them but the single fire safety stuff drove me crazy. The guy I was working with asked what does the sticker on the back of your van say?

Attachments:
    NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I was looking at the max nailer. Seemed to have a nice short head. Nice to see some like them here.

That’s why I got one. With hurricane Sandy the need to sister these old joist was apparent so the short head fits right in with no problem.

Thatkid
    Pro

DirtyWhiteBoy wrote:

Wire.

I have never tried it, but yes I imagine it does.

A friend of mine was talking about this the other day someone he was working with shot himself with a bostrich gun that had wire weld nails in it and they acted like barbs so he had to cut the head if the nail off for him and pull it threw.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

A friend of mine was talking about this the other day someone he was working with shot himself with a bostrich gun that had wire weld nails in it and they acted like barbs so he had to cut the head if the nail off for him and pull it threw.

See this is what I’m talkin about. Nobody wants to shoot them self but it does happen, heck I’ve done a lot of times.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.357 seconds