dcsimg

FRAMING NAILERS\M/Coil or stick?

This topic contains 78 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  jkirk 16 hours, 16 minutes ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 79 total)
  • Author

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have one old Bostich coil nailer and it’s heavy like a boat anchor.
    I have a few Hitachi stick nailers and love them. What do you like.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I’ve always wanted to get a coil nailer, but am afraid to make the switch. Are they harder to work into tight places. A stick nailer I’ve been using for so long it’s like an extension of my arm!

redwood
    Pro

All my framing guns are stick nailers, but I do have coil siding nailers, which are much nicer to use.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Calidecks64
    Pro
    Anaheim Hills, Cali

I have a coil roofing nailer. Just seems like a framing coil nailer would be too heavy with a full load of nails.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

we use stick nailers, we have one coil nailer but no one on the crew likes using it because of the weight of it..

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

I’ve never used a coil framer, always used stick framers. I don’t think many people in my area use coil framers, I know several framers and they all use stick.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I have never needed the amount of nails available in a coil nailer. I prefer the lesser load over the greater weight.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We use all stick nailers due to weight and ease of loading. We have a couple of Hitachi coil siding nailers. I know some guys like the coils for sheeting because they do not have to reload as often. There are a few places where a coil would cone in handy and save time such as nailing girder trusses together when you end up using a half a box of nails on one girder or in some braced wall designs where you have to nail panels 3″ on center. That said, it would just require us to keep annother type of nails in the trailer, take up more room and add confusion, so I will stick with the stick nailers.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like the coil nailer on the roof sheathing but not for framing at all. Hitachi all the way! I like the coil nailer on the siding also and have the Hitachi coil gun for that.

Attachments:

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

If we had to nail our roofs, I would probably go to a coil for theat. out wind and sesinic zones allow staples and i find that they are faster and cheaper than nstick nails.

We do still have to nail our braced wall panels.

mattryyc
    Pro
    Calgary, Alberta

Stick for me, it’s what everyone else uses around here aside from for sheathing or subfloor. I like the weight of my Hitachi, I used a Paslode before and it felt much heavier.

cranbrook2
    Pro
    Belgrave, Ontario , Canada

Stick nailer all the way .I was never crazy about coil nailers .

kzcarp
    Pro

No love for the coil nailers ?
    Dirty I would have thought that anyone who had a stable of worm drive saws wouldn’t mind a bit of extra weight!
    I have to say that although its not my first choice for framing, I don’t mind the coil nailer for shooting walls together.
    Definitely the way to go for sheathing.

kevin

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I’ve only used stick framing nailers. Love them. Used to use hitachi and paslode and now using max nailers with great success.

CrpntrFeak
    Pro
    Globe, AZ

Always used stick nailers so am unable to comment about a coil nailer. I could see where the coil could have it’s advantages but weight would be an issue if it is heavy like others have said.

Always ran the NR83’s for framing. Coil nailers have the little hook advance thing that always seem to wear down. Sticks are easier to carry in the pouch and much quicker to load.

It does seem though that every single roofing nailer is a coil nailer. And siding nailer now that I think about it.

ivve used sticks, but our crew uses hitachi coils. weight difference isn’t that much and a coil is 200 or 250 nails vs stick holding what 75? obviously sticks you can just throw in your bags and reload easy so it’s sort of 6 one way half a dozen the other.

Stick here too. Only coil nailers are our siding gun and roofing guns.

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

I have 4 hitachi 3 1/4 coil guns left,2 hitachi siding nailers, 4 hitachi strip nailers. I love hitachi pneumatics. 9 out of 10 stick nailers on the market now are just junk. As far as a preference of which. I prefer hitachi coil. Quality of the gun is great. Less worry about the 50k different companies making junk strip nails. @Cali there aren’t too many places you can’t fit them but it also is a style of the way you frame. You being in the trades for as long as you have, I feel you would adapt quickly.

Thatkid
    Pro

I have never used a coil framing nailer but it seems like it would be nice for nailing off roofs.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.416 seconds