dcsimg

Food & Drink – On and Off the Jobsite, Volume 3

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 267 total)
  • Author
    GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Since the beginning of Covid I pretty much stopped going to Tim Hortons for coffee.

So to get my Timmy’s fix I have been buying Tim Horton’s instant coffee. It seems to do the trick.

Haha yeah , Same here , the Tim Hortons on the company has closed , so I have been bringing in my coffee , I have been buying Tims for automatic drip coffee maker , and bouncing back and forth from Tim’s and second cup , even mcdonald’s have decent coffee ,

I just opened up the Maxwell House dark roast , I’m liking the dark roast better than the original

I drink Maxwell House original mostly. I drink only instant coffee at home.

Greg
    Do More of What Makes You Happy

The wife made a giant pot of her world famous vegetable beef soup. Really hit the spot on this cold, snowy day. Had 8qts left over we divided and froze

Nice , I bet it was good , especially after all the shoveling , looks delicious
    Some warm fresh bread and butter 🤤🤤🤤

Doobie

Made a dish I originally created almost 30 years ago for the first time in maybe over 5 years tonite. A Fettucini Alfredo with asparagus, shrooms, green onions, bacon, and with fresh garlic & basil. The cream sauce is made with Phili cream cheese, Half & Half, and freshly grated Parmesan Regiano.

Yummy stuff. In fact, really yummy, I forgot how good it was along with my wife and I got a “why haven’t we’ve been making this more often” from my wife. She had two helpings, and myself, I think I might have went for even a fourth small lopping of it on my plate. Just couldn’t stop eating it!

Made too much of it though, as the fresh linguini double pasta packs at the grocery store were ‘buy two, get one free’ and it ended up being a bit disproportionate ‘too much’ for the amount of ‘toppings’ with it and the sauce made for it using what were essentially 3 double packs of fresh linguini pasta, but it’ll be OK regardless.

We’re simply gonna be eating this as a leftover for at least a week and half. Unfortunately, my 17 yo son wasn’t crazy about it trying it for the first time, but for my wife and myself, we were in ‘taste-buds heaven’. Been too long since I did this dish.

I was mixing it all together at the end in a huge 16 liter stainless steel pot we had boiled the pasta in originally in after draining out and straining the linguini pasta and the huge pot was two thirds full after I tossed in all the ingredients into it for mixing it up. Was a real dog to get it all mixed. Normally I used a one of the big giant cheapo metal bowls we have, but this was just too much this time for using those bowls.

Great dish. As I said, came up with it decades ago using insights from other recipes I wasn’t satisfied with. In fact, I’ve never seen Fettuccini Alfredo with any asparagus ever, that was just some kind of weird fluke it worked one time for me early on based on another unrelated dish I got inspired by in trying asparagus in it and I stuck with it.

Trick is, don’t overcook things, especially the asparagus – which is hard to judge somewhat in a fry pan – and toss in the 3/4 cut green onions at a later stage of frying them so they go soft using the solid parts, and save the green stems at the end with the fresh basil for just a few minutes at the end, if ‘minutes’. Everything stays integral at their best that way. The shrooms get tossed in whenever appropriate depending on how thick you’ve cut them up. If half inch thick, toss them in with the asparagus in the bacon fat after the bacon bits that were cut in smallish pieces have been removed and after you’ve lightly browned all the fresh garlic in the hot bacon bacon grease in the pot/pan. If thinner is to your liking on the shromms, wait a while and add accordingly. Most dishes with multiple components of ingredients are all about understanding your ingredients and their characteristics and acting accordingly. But asparagus is always the most trickiest and in this dish, if it gets way too soft to the point it is mushy, it is ruinous.

I recall 20 years ago or so planning on making it, and asparagus wasn’t available after I had bought all the other ingredients. Went and tried to use those flat snow peas instead. Oh man, that didn’t work as a substitute. There was some kind of flavor mash that made it practically un-edible. Love snow peas, but it just did not flavour mesh in this dish at all instead of the asparagus!

@doobie that sounds like a great meal , we have made it before , but doesn’t sound as good as yours. I’m going to keep this recipe. Thanks

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Made a dish I originally created almost 30 years ago for the first time in maybe over 5 years tonite. A Fettucini Alfredo with asparagus, shrooms, green onions, bacon, and with fresh garlic & basil. The cream sauce is made with Phili cream cheese, Half & Half, and freshly grated Parmesan Regiano.

Yummy stuff. In fact, really yummy, I forgot how good it was along with my wife and I got a “why haven’t we’ve been making this more often” from my wife. She had two helpings, and myself, I think I might have went for even a fourth small lopping of it on my plate. Just couldn’t stop eating it!

Made too much of it though, as the fresh linguini double pasta packs at the grocery store were ‘buy two, get one free’ and it ended up being a bit disproportionate ‘too much’ for the amount of ‘toppings’ with it and the sauce made for it using what were essentially 3 double packs of fresh linguini pasta, but it’ll be OK regardless.

We’re simply gonna be eating this as a leftover for at least a week and half. Unfortunately, my 17 yo son wasn’t crazy about it trying it for the first time, but for my wife and myself, we were in ‘taste-buds heaven’. Been too long since I did this dish.

I was mixing it all together at the end in a huge 16 liter stainless steel pot we had boiled the pasta in originally in after draining out and straining the linguini pasta and the huge pot was two thirds full after I tossed in all the ingredients into it for mixing it up. Was a real dog to get it all mixed. Normally I used a one of the big giant cheapo metal bowls we have, but this was just too much this time for using those bowls.

Great dish. As I said, came up with it decades ago using insights from other recipes I wasn’t satisfied with. In fact, I’ve never seen Fettuccini Alfredo with any asparagus ever, that was just some kind of weird fluke it worked one time for me early on based on another unrelated dish I got inspired by in trying asparagus in it and I stuck with it.

Trick is, don’t overcook things, especially the asparagus – which is hard to judge somewhat in a fry pan – and toss in the 3/4 cut green onions at a later stage of frying them so they go soft using the solid parts, and save the green stems at the end with the fresh basil for just a few minutes at the end, if ‘minutes’. Everything stays integral at their best that way. The shrooms get tossed in whenever appropriate depending on how thick you’ve cut them up. If half inch thick, toss them in with the asparagus in the bacon fat after the bacon bits that were cut in smallish pieces have been removed and after you’ve lightly browned all the fresh garlic in the hot bacon bacon grease in the pot/pan. If thinner is to your liking on the shromms, wait a while and add accordingly. Most dishes with multiple components of ingredients are all about understanding your ingredients and their characteristics and acting accordingly. But asparagus is always the most trickiest and in this dish, if it gets way too soft to the point it is mushy, it is ruinous.

I recall 20 years ago or so planning on making it, and asparagus wasn’t available after I had bought all the other ingredients. Went and tried to use those flat snow peas instead. Oh man, that didn’t work as a substitute. There was some kind of flavor mash that made it practically un-edible. Love snow peas, but it just did not flavour mesh in this dish at all instead of the asparagus!

That does sound like a great dish. I wondering why to you so long to make again?

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Well, if you made it all the time it wouldn’t be special now would it?…lol. That being said, 5 years is too long, sounds delicious.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

It is yummy and it had been way too long since I made it. I’ve had another 4 or five meals with it since I made it myself, and my wife the same but smaller portions. Still have tons of it to eat.

Biggest mistake was as I mentioned was getting the free extra double pack of fresh linguini packs and adding it all in. Not enough topping ingredients for the amount of pasta. Kinda knew that as I was doing it, but did it anyways as I just couldn’t bring myself to toss away the free pasta otherwise. Sigh! But it’s still quite delicious reheated. My stupid ‘greedy/don’t waste’ helmet was on.

Hey, anybody know whether you can freeze those fresh pasta packs for use another day? I didn’t bother looking that upon the internet, I just assumed that would be a no-no. Probably should have just tossed the free packs of ‘Buy two – get one Free’ in the garberator.

Another dish I haven’t made in a dogs age that I was saying to my wife we should make again, is Swiss Cheese fondu. Now that’s a real treat.

And no, I make the bonafide real SC fondu, not that pre-made crap. Real imported Swiss Ementhal and Gruyere along with French double cream Brie, sharp white cheddar in a pre-rubbed cast iron enamel glazed bowl rubbed with garlic, with a touch of hand ground nutmeg and Kirsch (Cherry Liqueur) in the mix with a non-Chardonnay wine. (I just can’t handle the Oak cask flavour of some Chardonnays).

You 1 inch cut/cube fresh decent French Stick pieces leaving a crust edge of each piece for piercing purposes that you let sit for a few hours spread out so that their outer edges of the inner bread somewhat dry so that they stay as cubes once immersed in the fondu (otherwise they can’t properly collect the heavy fondu cheese mix) and pig out swashing them in the melted cheese in the cast iron vessel on the fondu burner. Just a cheese lovers paradise! A real special tang of flavour to the palate.

One of the best parts of that food experience is when the bowl is done there is a nice golden brown caramelized crust of semi-burnt cheese crud stuck to the bottom of the cast iron bowl about 2-3 inches around where the fondu burner has been burning the bowl from below thru it all that once cooled a bit it exceptionally delicious to peel off the bottom and eat. Insofar as cheese treats, this is ‘Nirvana’ cheese yumminess. Put it this way, you wanna get laid…. unselfishly offer to let your lady friend eat that at the end of the meal, she’ll turn into fondu herself! Lol! The wine she may have been drinking during the meal doesn’t hurt either.

Normally when I’ve done that dish before, I’d be having Chinese fondu afterwards. Always seemed to do both the Swiss Cheese fondu and then the Chinese fondu as part of the same overall meal experience, which the Chinese fondu is another very well known French Canadian treat, but here where I live just outside of Toronto no butcher will sell Chinese fondu sliced meats I can find around here.

There was one place that sold properly sliced and splayed for serving Chinese fondu meats years ago slicing them just paper thin right, but they stopped about a dozen years ago doing it saying there was so little demand and a huge PITA in doing so as orders had to be placed in advance.

Another place I tried afterwards for Chinese fondu meat in this neck of the woods, they just didn’t know what they were doing and were slicing it like bologna. Reminds me of that scene near the end in the movie Good Fellows where the Ray Liotta character describes take-out Italian food in is assigned Federal relocation witness program locale as having “Ketchup” instead of real proper tomato sauce! Lol!

Damn I miss that culinary treat as well! So good, especially with the different dipping sauces I would conjure up to dip the semi-raw cooked pieces of meats spiral skewered dunked into my special made myself fondu broth I would have for the meats to be dunked in. Aaargh!

You know, cooking has always been a passion with me, but I haven’t really done what I would have liked in the past so many years. Just been too busy over the years with projects of my own and business, but things have changed the last while or so for us here.

My wife of over 20 years has been suffering mentally since she retired in the summer of 2019. Herself, and myself have been thru a lot dealing with her mental health and trying to get her where she deserves to be mentally for her retirement/Golden Years.

It’s been a rugged road to say the least for us. It in fact has been very seriously life threatening at times when proper relief doesn’t seem forthcoming as it is compared to typical physiological medical issues. The mental health system is a perilously quagmire of unknowns in getting proper treatment. The system has become apparent to me now that people can easily fall thru the big gapping cracks in it if not steadfastly addressed by either the person afflicted (which typically is nil) or those who are near to them in seeking proper acceleration into what is a hodge podge system of help with mental help often with either misread diagnosis or delayed responses/times for proper treatment. Fortunately, we’ve worked our way beyond some of the systemic issues, but it’s still not ideal as much as I’d like it to be for my wife imo. I want better still, and that’s after a ton of effort on my part.

I’ve found that other than just spending way more time with her, nursing her acutely now for what I can do, I’ve discovered that one of the therapies I can offer to her is rekindling some old food dishes for her that I’ve done years ago in an effort to help her recognize ‘things’ better. I must say, I have seen spurts of promise whenever I’ve done this ‘meal therapy’ in doing this, and it’s totally an idea I came up with rather than anything other source of consults have laid out.

Being mentally screwed up for no real reason of your own sucks! That’s all I’ll say on that right now for now. Positive food memories of the past do help though imo. I’ve been seeing that, especially when she is there in the kitchen helping me. I get glimpses of her being alive again.

Thanks for listening/reading. I need to vent every so often.

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

Sigh! But it’s still quite delicious reheated. My stupid ‘greedy/don’t waste’ helmet was on.

Honestly I love some foods reheated. I find it taste much better the next day. I do like leftovers. Usually take them in my lunch to work. After eating them for 3 or 4 meals I get tired of it.

I’ve found that other than just spending way more time with her, nursing her acutely now for what I can do, I’ve discovered that one of the therapies I can offer to her is rekindling some old food dishes for her that I’ve done years ago in an effort to help her recognize ‘things’ better. I must say, I have seen spurts of promise whenever I’ve done this ‘meal therapy’ in doing this, and it’s totally an idea I came up with rather than anything other source of consults have laid out.

Being mentally screwed up for no real reason of your own sucks! That’s all I’ll say on that right now for now. Positive food memories of the past do help though imo. I’ve been seeing that, especially when she is there in the kitchen helping me. I get glimpses of her being alive again.

This awesome news.

It is yummy and it had been way too long since I made it. I’ve had another 4 or five meals with it since I made it myself, and my wife the same but smaller portions. Still have tons of it to eat.

Biggest mistake was as I mentioned was getting the free extra double pack of fresh linguini packs and adding it all in. Not enough topping ingredients for the amount of pasta. Kinda knew that as I was doing it, but did it anyways as I just couldn’t bring myself to toss away the free pasta otherwise. Sigh! But it’s still quite delicious reheated. My stupid ‘greedy/don’t waste’ helmet was on.

Hey, anybody know whether you can freeze those fresh pasta packs for use another day? I didn’t bother looking that upon the internet, I just assumed that would be a no-no. Probably should have just tossed the free packs of ‘Buy two – get one Free’ in the garberator.

Another dish I haven’t made in a dogs age that I was saying to my wife we should make again, is Swiss Cheese fondu. Now that’s a real treat.

And no, I make the bonafide real SC fondu, not that pre-made crap. Real imported Swiss Ementhal and Gruyere along with French double cream Brie, sharp white cheddar in a pre-rubbed cast iron enamel glazed bowl rubbed with garlic, with a touch of hand ground nutmeg and Kirsch (Cherry Liqueur) in the mix with a non-Chardonnay wine. (I just can’t handle the Oak cask flavour of some Chardonnays).

You 1 inch cut/cube fresh decent French Stick pieces leaving a crust edge of each piece for piercing purposes that you let sit for a few hours spread out so that their outer edges of the inner bread somewhat dry so that they stay as cubes once immersed in the fondu (otherwise they can’t properly collect the heavy fondu cheese mix) and pig out swashing them in the melted cheese in the cast iron vessel on the fondu burner. Just a cheese lovers paradise! A real special tang of flavour to the palate.

One of the best parts of that food experience is when the bowl is done there is a nice golden brown caramelized crust of semi-burnt cheese crud stuck to the bottom of the cast iron bowl about 2-3 inches around where the fondu burner has been burning the bowl from below thru it all that once cooled a bit it exceptionally delicious to peel off the bottom and eat. Insofar as cheese treats, this is ‘Nirvana’ cheese yumminess. Put it this way, you wanna get laid…. unselfishly offer to let your lady friend eat that at the end of the meal, she’ll turn into fondu herself! Lol! The wine she may have been drinking during the meal doesn’t hurt either.

Normally when I’ve done that dish before, I’d be having Chinese fondu afterwards. Always seemed to do both the Swiss Cheese fondu and then the Chinese fondu as part of the same overall meal experience, which the Chinese fondu is another very well known French Canadian treat, but here where I live just outside of Toronto no butcher will sell Chinese fondu sliced meats I can find around here.

There was one place that sold properly sliced and splayed for serving Chinese fondu meats years ago slicing them just paper thin right, but they stopped about a dozen years ago doing it saying there was so little demand and a huge PITA in doing so as orders had to be placed in advance.

Another place I tried afterwards for Chinese fondu meat in this neck of the woods, they just didn’t know what they were doing and were slicing it like bologna. Reminds me of that scene near the end in the movie Good Fellows where the Ray Liotta character describes take-out Italian food in is assigned Federal relocation witness program locale as having “Ketchup” instead of real proper tomato sauce! Lol!

Damn I miss that culinary treat as well! So good, especially with the different dipping sauces I would conjure up to dip the semi-raw cooked pieces of meats spiral skewered dunked into my special made myself fondu broth I would have for the meats to be dunked in. Aaargh!

You know, cooking has always been a passion with me, but I haven’t really done what I would have liked in the past so many years. Just been too busy over the years with projects of my own and business, but things have changed the last while or so for us here.

My wife of over 20 years has been suffering mentally since she retired in the summer of 2019. Herself, and myself have been thru a lot dealing with her mental health and trying to get her where she deserves to be mentally for her retirement/Golden Years.

It’s been a rugged road to say the least for us. It in fact has been very seriously life threatening at times when proper relief doesn’t seem forthcoming as it is compared to typical physiological medical issues. The mental health system is a perilously quagmire of unknowns in getting proper treatment. The system has become apparent to me now that people can easily fall thru the big gapping cracks in it if not steadfastly addressed by either the person afflicted (which typically is nil) or those who are near to them in seeking proper acceleration into what is a hodge podge system of help with mental help often with either misread diagnosis or delayed responses/times for proper treatment. Fortunately, we’ve worked our way beyond some of the systemic issues, but it’s still not ideal as much as I’d like it to be for my wife imo. I want better still, and that’s after a ton of effort on my part.

Thanks for listening/reading. I need to vent every so often.

Any time. Always willing to listen. It does help to vent. Take care of your wife and yourself through this tough time.

Greg

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Thanks for listening/reading.

Wishing the best for you guys. Keep cooking!

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

@doobie
    Hang in there Kevin , and to your wife also , hang in there ,
    I know first hand what you are going through ,
    It’s definitely tough on the whole family ,
    We were extremely , I’ll say extremely lucky that my wife’s brothers best friend studied in medicine , and is the head of psychology department of the downtown super hospital , he saw my wife and directed her to a specialist , it was a really tough road ,
    I’m hoping you guys can get some help and support , the most important thing is support , not necessarily verbal , but often just being a good ear ,
    It was definitely difficult because I was schooled to be able to fix things when they are not working properly , this is definitely not the case ,

A shoulder and a ear sometimes is the best thing. Hang in there guys.

🙏

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Your BTP friends are here when you need us Kevin. I hope things work out with your wife. I didn’t know about this going on. Sending a hug your way.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

My wife whipped up her teriyaki chicken stir fry. Served over rice… no leftovers

GTokley
    Pro
    Belleville, ON

My wife whipped up her teriyaki chicken stir fry. Served over rice… no leftovers

Looks really good. I can see why there were no leftovers. I am sure would be even better if there was leftovers.

Greg

🤤🤤 Oh that looks good , that’s one of my favorite dishes 👍

Happy Easter everyone

My wife and I decided to do a lamp roast , had the butcher remove the bone , dang it , it was delicious
    Also roasted potatoes and some asparagus in olive oil and lemon juice
    Warm bread tzaziki and mint sauce 😊🤤🤤🤤🤤
    And to wash it down , a few glasses of wine 🥱🥱 I’m stuffed good night all lol

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I’m stuffed good night all lol

I’d be stuffed too !!! That looks delicious !

I made a simple Italian tomato pie

Thanks 👍 , your pizza looks great , sometimes simple is better , actually it’s my favorite , looks good 👌

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I haven’t had one of these sense I was a boy. Had a neighbor lady from Italy that called them pour person pie. They were always good.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Eastern shore of, Pa

I haven’t had one of these sense I was a boy. Had a neighbor lady from Italy that called them pour person pie. They were always good.

That was my first try at a tomato pie. Always bought them from a small family owned and run neighborhood bakery that was there since before I was born. It was sold and the new people say they are using the same recipes….well something changed. My wife stopped and got a few things about a week ago and nothing compared to what it has always been. So I tried to make a good tomato pie…. came close, my dough is perfect, but sauce needs some tweaking. It was still better than what my wife got at the bakery.

@Sprokitz we’ve been using this one for a few months now , we found it on the shelves in the grocery store , best one so far ,

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 267 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.490 seconds