dcsimg

Food and Drink – On and Off the Jobsite

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 1,013 total)
  • Author
    theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

On a similar note, I asked one time why the roasted chickens at Costco were so tender. I was told by the gal I was speaking to is that they inject them with salt water.

She also told me further that they sell 500 to 800 of them a day. Holy crap! Never would have guessed that.

Wow that is a lot of chicken. Never would of guessed they sold that many a day.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I did an apple juice injection

On a similar note, I asked one time why the roasted chickens at Costco were so tender. I was told by the gal I was speaking to is that they inject them with salt water.

She also told me further that they sell 500 to 800 of them a day. Holy crap! Never would have guessed that.

Man that’s a bunch of birds a day.
    Interesting that they use saltwater as a marinade.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Thats how Butterball brine their turkeys. Injecting is fast, compared to the soaking method of brining poultry.

I leave my whole birds in a spices, salt, and sugar brine overnight. Gotta try just injecting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Thats how Butterball brine their turkeys. Injecting is fast, compared to the soaking method of brining poultry.

I leave my whole birds in a spices, salt, and sugar brine overnight. Gotta try just injecting

Whenever you see “seasoned” on packaged meat; it means there is about 10% by weight of salt water injected into the product.

Injecting may be quick but overnight brining is a much better method IMO. I have tried injecting with beer can chickens a couple of times but went back to the overnight soaking method.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

JimDaddyO
    Pro
    Wawa, ON

Do I need an “Old thread warning” here?

Anyway. It seems my ribs got some attention and people drooling, justly so. The rub recipe is really easy and can be adjusted to suit tastes, so experiment, I do. Just mix it all up and plaster it on, let it get a bit dark with the moisture from the meat, then put the ribs on the grill (preferably charcoal) on low indirect heat about 230 to 250F does the trick. Takes about 5 hours.

2 cups brown (or yellow) sugar

2 tsps of each:
    Cayanne pepper
    Fresh ground black pepper
    Lemon Pepper
    Garlic powder

1 tsp of Season salt.

This will coat both sides of 3 racks of back ribs. Yes, use back ribs, they are better. Make sure there is no membrane on the bone side of the ribs. Some come with it removed, others don’t. It is pretty easy to peel off with a sharp knife and a bit of tugging.

Easy eh?

This recipe has a nice heat to the flavour, not overbearing. If you want it hotter add more Cayanne pepper. I plan on increasing the lemon pepper next time and I find the season salt does not do very much so it might be omitted. A couple of drops of liquid smoke is nice, particularly if you are using a gas grill. When in doubt, add more garlic…lol. Sauce is not needed, but if you like it, go for it.

If you like coriander/cilantro (or anything else for that matter), that is a nice addition too. As I said, it is the basics of the recipe and you can add or subtract as your taste dictates. The rule of thumb with grilling is pork likes sweet, beef likes salty.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

Doobie

Whenever you see “seasoned” on packaged meat; it means there is about 10% by weight of salt water injected into the product.

Injecting may be quick but overnight brining is a much better method IMO. I have tried injecting with beer can chickens a couple of times but went back to the overnight soaking method.

You guys know to use Kosher salt for brining and not the reg table salt I assume?

You guys know to use Kosher salt for brining and not the reg table salt I assume?

Yup! Or Himalayan. Expensive but yummy

And tableside it’s Malden or Fleur de Sel

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Himalayan has become our regular table salt. Love it!

And measure salt by weight for brining and measuring for rubs. A cup of coarse salt will weigh less than a cup of fine table salt.

A basic brine is 4 liters of water, 225 grams of salt and 125 grams of sugar. All the rest is optional flavouring.

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Pickling salt will also work…that’s what I normally use just because I usually have a good bit on hand because I like to pickle stuff…Pickles, mushrooms, peppers, cabbage/sauerkraut….

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

@JimDaddyO thank you Jim, copied this

Does anyone here drink a health liquid for lunch instead of real food . I’m think of trying some brand . Tired of feeling full and not being able to move lol .

Always willing to learn .

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Does anyone here drink a health liquid for lunch instead of real food . I’m think of trying some brand . Tired of feeling full and not being able to move lol .

I haven’t tried any of them…In the summer I usually just stick to fruit or small salads to avoid feeling like cheap from heavy foods.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

On all of our jobs we take all the scrap out and use that money for lunches. Today scrap money bought us pizza it was a good day.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I received a new toy for my grill. It’s the TermoWorks Smoke. A new temp monitoring device with a wireless transmitter. So I can stay inside or in the shop and watch the temps of my cook. Should be a nice addition to my Kamado grill.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Attachments:

I received a new toy for my grill. It’s the TermoWorks Smoke. A new temp monitoring device with a wireless transmitter. So I can stay inside or in the shop and watch the temps of my cook. Should be a nice addition to my Kamado grill.

Ok, that’s cool! I should get one of those for my Weber egg

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Congrats! Looks like a really nice toy. I could use something like that for my Egg.

Congratulations Ron,
    That’s sounds like it will make it much easier to control.
    Geeze man I’m feeling kinda like a cave man listening to you guys with those fancy eggs and smokers and these controls lol
    I think I’m still dragging my knuckles while I’m cooking lol

Congratulations Ron,
    That’s sounds like it will make it much easier to control.
    Geeze man I’m feeling kinda like a cave man listening to you guys with those fancy eggs and smokers and these controls lol
    I think I’m still dragging my knuckles while I’m cooking lol

If it makes you feel better, I still mostly use a regular propane grill.

Ive had a basic Weber egg for a few years, and still sometimes badly misjudge the heat. Always yummy, but my idea of how long something should take is often WAY off. A thermometer would help that, I suspect

I haven’t tried any of them…In the summer I usually just stick to fruit or small salads to avoid feeling like cheap from heavy foods.

That’s true with strawberry and watermelon season coming up everything should be fresh . Plus it’s healthy .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie

Made smoothies all weekend ,
    Milk
    Two yogurt
    One banana
    1cup of strawberries
    A couple of big scoops of chocolate ice cream
    1/4 cup of oats

Pretty filling

Oats in a smoothie? Never seen that. Do you mean like Quaker Oats? Do they get stuck in the straw?

I do. Just oats – rolled, quick, whatever. The blender turns them to dust which gives nice body

And makes it more filling

Finally tried a smoothie with Quaker Oats. It’s OK! Thanks for the tip Eric!

Viewing 20 posts - 161 through 180 (of 1,013 total)
  • The topic ‘Food and Drink – On and Off the Jobsite’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.368 seconds