dcsimg

Food and Drink – On and Off the Jobsite

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 1,013 total)
  • Author
    smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

BBQ season has officially started!

Oh man Peter, that’s just not fair lol 🙁
    Is that the egg BBQ? Looks great by the way.

lol I just couldn’t resist. Ribs were on sale for a stupid low price this week. Canadian pork, perfect St Louis trim (which you never see in a supermarket)and a great size, too. I bought 10 racks to get a start on the season.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

lol I just couldn’t resist. Ribs were on sale for a stupid low price this week. Canadian pork, perfect St Louis trim (which you never see in a supermarket)and a great size, too. I bought 10 racks to get a start on the season.

you should get a sous vide machine to pair with your big green egg. get the meat to the perfect temperature and finish on high with the big green egg.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man that looks killer!!!!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

you should get a sous vide machine to pair with your big green egg. get the meat to the perfect temperature and finish on high with the big green egg.

Finish on high!! on the BGE?? Are you insane? Slow cook on any egged shape BBQ is the way to go. 😀

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Seeing the pics and reading these post I’m salivating big time lol

Doobie

yah north america, we wash all our eggs and take off the protective barrier so our eggs go bad sooner. In europe eggs with the protective barrier end up lasting longer. I regularly have raw eggs, its good for you and taste good with rice and soya sauce. Or in carbonara or part of a dip for chinese hot pot.

And don’t forget with steak tartar. Love steak tartar, but there’s no place near me that does it. I only get it when I’m travelling somewhere.

There’s a great place in Wasaga Beach called Catch 22 that serves it. We go to Wasaga every year or two for mini vacation stays and I always go there at least once to get my steak tartar. I could eat a bucket load of it, but it’s not cheap on the menu.

http://catch22grill.org/dinner-2/

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Ahhhh, no, I don’t think so. Rub and refrigerate overnight then 3 hours at 250. Spray now and again with apple cider.

Doobie

Spray now and again with apple cider.

That sounds like a neat idea. I might try that.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Ahhhh, no, I don’t think so. Rub and refrigerate overnight then 3 hours at 250. Spray now and again with apple cider.

its what i have been doing, I sous vide for about 4 hours at medium rare, and only toss it on the bbq for the char

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

It keeps the meat moist and gives it a bit of a glaze. The apple flavour goes well with pork, too.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I will have to try that next time ribs go on my KEG.

I have heard that a short time of marinating with sliced KIWI’s will tenderize ribs, something to do with the enzymes in the KIWI juices.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

I will have to try that next time ribs go on my KEG.

I have heard that a short time of marinating with sliced KIWI’s will tenderize ribs, something to do with the enzymes in the KIWI juices.

I haven’t heard of that, I’ll have to check it out.

The most important thing with ribs is to remove the membrane from the inside of the rack before doing anything. This allows the rub or marinade to penetrate fully and gives a more tender result.

Doobie

The most important thing with ribs is to remove the membrane from the inside of the rack before doing anything. This allows the rub or marinade to penetrate fully and gives a more tender result.

Never heard of that either. How hard is it to rip that off when they are raw though? Do the ribs tend to fall apart whipe cooking if they cook for a long time?

Never heard of that either. How hard is it to rip that off when they are raw though? Do the ribs tend to fall apart whipe cooking if they cook for a long time?

I’ve never not removed the silver skin. easy to work a butter knife under and separate

Similar effort to removing silverskin from a tenderloin

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

It’s not hard to pull it off. If you find it’s too slick to grip properly, hold on to it with a piece of paper towel. Ribs won’t fall apart any more easily with the membrane off.

could eat a bucket load of it, but it’s not cheap on the menu.

I always take off the membrane, it is not hard to do, but can be annoying to get started, I use a sharp knife to separate it from the ribs to start, then lever the knife using the back of the blade so you don’t cut the membrane until you can get a finger in and then pull firmly.

Will

could eat a bucket load of it, but it’s not cheap on the menu.

I always take off the membrane, it is not hard to do, but can be annoying to get started, I use a sharp knife to separate it from the ribs to start, then lever the knife using the back of the blade so you don’t cut the membrane until you can get a finger in and then pull firmly.

Thats one way. Another is to salt the membrane. It dries out and tightens up, plus the salt gives it some grit to make it grippy. And it wont transfer much to the meat anyways

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Well April is one of my favorite months. The Spam festival is always a good time, and it all goes to a good cause.
    http://khon2.com/2017/04/03/spam-jam-festival-to-take-over-waikiki-later-this-month/
    http://spamjamhawaii.com/

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Sounds like a great way to support the needing,
    Used to love spam when I was younger, haven’t had it in years.

Doobie

Sounds like a great way to support the needing,
    Used to love spam when I was younger, haven’t had it in years.

Funny, we started buying it again a few years ago and it wasn’t because my kid wanted it, he never eats it. Funny thing is, after some trial and error buying different brands, we discovered the ones we like best were no-name/house brands with chicken as the main meat over ones like Spam or Klik that have pork as their main meat product.

When I was in Waikiki recently I couldn’t help take photos of the Spam selection in a local Don Quijote grocery store we were shopping at. I was stunned at the amount of different varieties they make. They obviously really like their Spam in Hawaii.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 1,013 total)
  • The topic ‘Food and Drink – On and Off the Jobsite’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 1.389 seconds