dcsimg

Food and Drink – On and Off the Jobsite

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 1,013 total)
  • Author
    DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Fresh Ahi is huge here on new years,,,
    http://khon2.com/2016/12/29/fresh-ahi-sashimi-in-no-short-supply-for-new-year-celebrations/
    It has to do with the huge Japanese culture here.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Doobie

Made a penne and hot italian sausaga bake today. One of my favourites.

Oh that looks good @Doobie.

We had a nice roast beef for Christmas, so today my wife made a great beef barely soup,

Had a couple of glasses of wine to go with supper, very good, good night all lol
    Couldn’t find a picture, and didn’t take one, but it’s the grand coronas red, very nice wine.

Doobie

Made my second batch of them ‘steak bombs’.

I went and bought a ribbed cast iron skillet just for them this week. Got way better controllable results over the Corel type ribbed smaller one I used the first time..

With a mayo sriracha dip to accompany….yummy!

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

I went and bought a ribbed cast iron skillet just for them this week. Got way better controllable results over the Corel type ribbed smaller one I used the first time..

Man those look good. A buddy and I were just talking about doing some on his Kamado Joe last night.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

oooh nice, and fancy enameled cast iron! I have the regular cast iron pan, I really gotta try this recipe out.

Doobie

Man those look good. A buddy and I were just talking about doing some on his Kamado Joe last night.

Here’s a tip I learned already making them. Let your bacon go to room temp before you assemble them. That way they are more stretchy for wrapping around. On the bigger ones, you’ll want that.

With that said, when you buy your jalapenos, watch they aren’t too big or too small. Index finger long and thumb thick is ideal.

And make sure you wear nitrile gloves preparing/de-gutting the peppers.

I made around three dozen of them last nite. They nuke well as a leftover.

Sriracha and mayo dip goes real nice with them.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Man those look ono Doobie, I’m trying to stay away from pork too.

Dirty

Doobie

Gotta have the bacon. That’s part of what tenderizes the steak. I’ve been marinating my steak for 3-4 days before making them, but I’m told there’s no big difference if you don’t.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Gotta have the bacon. That’s part of what tenderizes the steak. I’ve been marinating my steak for 3-4 days before making them, but I’m told there’s no big difference if you don’t.

Your the real cook there Doobie! Great idea about the steak, I’ll have to try marinating for longer than a day.

A Working Pro since 2004

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Well, I don’t know if this is breakfast, snack or dessert but it’s pretty good anyway.
    ABT Cheesecake. the crust is crushed corn chips and bacon and the filling is jalapenos, cream cheese and a few other things. All of the things you expect in stuffed jalapenos in a fancier form.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Attachments:
    Doobie

Your the real cook there Doobie! Great idea about the steak, I’ll have to try marinating for longer than a day.

Do so. At least two days in my books. Make sure you have an ‘acid’ in your marinade. Lemon or even vinegar will do. You don’t need a lot. I’ll squeeze have a lemon maybe into my marinade. You don’t taste the lemon. It’s the acid that allows the marinade to soak into the meat.

Well, I don’t know if this is breakfast, snack or dessert but it’s pretty good anyway.
    ABT Cheesecake. the crust is crushed corn chips and bacon and the filling is jalapenos, cream cheese and a few other things. All of the things you expect in stuffed jalapenos in a fancier form.

Wow, that looks good Peter, I guess I could have a slice at every sitting lol, I want to see it cut, how long does it take to make

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Wow, that looks good Peter, I guess I could have a slice at every sitting lol, I want to see it cut, how long does it take to make

Thanks, Brian, I should have done it earlier, but here is the recipe;
    Crust
    2 cups finely ground corn chips
    1/2 t chipotle powder
    1/2 cup chopped, crisp bacon
    1/2 stick butter, melted
    2 T bacon grease

filling
    1 lb cream cheese, softened
    1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
    1 cup pepper jack, shredded
    1 pint sour cream
    3 large eggs
    1/2 cup finely chopped, roasted jalapenos (8 – 9)
    1 T honey
    zest of 1 lemon
    2 – 3 dashes hot sauce.

mix the crust ingredients lightly and press into an 8″ springform pan.
    Refrigerate for 5 min to set up the crust and bake 8 – 10 min in a 325º oven, set aside.

Beat the cream cheese on low for a minute or 2 till smooth. Add the eggs 1 at a time and continue beating till combined. Gradually fold in the rest, scrape down the sides of the bowl, pour into the pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
    Set the pan on a large sheet of foil and fold up the sides around the pan. Place the pan in a larger pan and add boiling water till the water is about halfway up the side of the springform pan. Bake in the centre of a 325 oven for 1 – 1 1/4 hours. the cheesecake will still jiggle, be careful not to overcook. Let it cool for a half hour in the pan then chill in the fridge for 4 hours loosely covered. Loosen the cake from the pan with a sharp knife and unmold. Tranfer to a serving plate.
    Some garnish suggestions: candied jalapenos, carmelized onions, guacamole, pico de gallo, jalapeno jelly.

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

For lunch at the shop today, one of our friends Co workers, his sister has a Jamaican restaurant in the West island not far from work.
    We ordered the roti curry chicken,
    Fricken great, but now I think I need a nap lol

amcfad2
    Pro

I usually just bring a turkey sandwich and 2 cans of shasta cola. Jealous of you guys. Looks good…

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I’ve been fixxin a lot of peanutbutter&banana lately.

Dirty

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

Spring is in the air. Had a nice stead bbq amd a few wabbly pops out on the deck with some friends this evening. Pretty excited for more bbq’d foods all summer.

I’ve been fixxin a lot of peanutbutter&banana lately.

Drinking peanut butter and banana for breakfast right now

Smoothie made from milk, peanut butter, banana, oats, and some honey

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

i’m testing out a new breakfast shake too, some sort of meal replacement, where you mix it with water.

Viewing 20 posts - 61 through 80 (of 1,013 total)
  • The topic ‘Food and Drink – On and Off the Jobsite’ is closed to new replies.
queries. 1.935 seconds