dcsimg

Food and Drink – On and Off the Jobsite

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 1,013 total)
  • Author
    Doobie

Did a roast and smoked slaw today. Turned out great.

Never seen a head of cabbage cooked like that. What’s the ground beef stuffing? Do you pre-cook it before stuffing?

Smoked the roast for 3 hrs then wrapped with cling wrap and cooked at 210° for 8 hrs.

Wouldn’t wrapping in tin foil do the same. I’d be afraid of the plastic into the food. Never seen that done before Ron.

It’s garlic, olive oil and various seasonings put into were the core was. After smoking a dressing is added.

No foil wont have the same effect. The plastic wrap traps all the juices. And it basically boils in it’s own juices. One does have to be careful not to let temps get above 230° or the plastic wrap will melt.

So the ground meat goes into the cabbage raw?

Can this be done on low on a barbecue also?

My wife loves things with cabbage and I’m thinking of surprising her with that. Does it have a particular name? I wanna maybe search it out on the internet.

Never seen a head of cabbage cooked like that. What’s the ground beef stuffing? Do you pre-cook it before stuffing?

Smoked the roast for 3 hrs then wrapped with cling wrap and cooked at 210° for 8 hrs.

Wouldn’t wrapping in tin foil do the same. I’d be afraid of the plastic into the food. Never seen that done before Ron.

It’s garlic, olive oil and various seasonings put into were the core was. After smoking a dressing is added.

No foil wont have the same effect. The plastic wrap traps all the juices. And it basically boils in it’s own juices. One does have to be careful not to let temps get above 230° or the plastic wrap will melt.

Wow, Ron you certainly are a great cook on the grill
    Like others have mentioned, never would have thought about the cling wrap.
    But after you explained it, does make sense.
    I vote for the cook out at Ron’s
    I’ll bring my sleeping bag, I’ll be fine in his shop, I will get that lounge chair he has in his shop lol.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

So the ground meat goes into the cabbage raw?

Can this be done on low on a barbecue also?

My wife loves things with cabbage and I’m thinking of surprising her with that. Does it have a particular name? I wanna maybe search it out on the internet.

I did’t have any meat in the cabbage. You could do one just about anyway. I would do raw meat. It gets cooked long enough to get done. I got the recipe from a friend. But did watch several videos on you tube. It’s smoked cabbage. or smoked slaw.
    I think it will be fine on a grill. It can even be done in the oven.
    What I did was called Blue Slaw.
    I used a Cabbage with the core removed.
    Three cloves of garlic minced. (It called for 1/4 cup. But that sounded like way to much.)
    1/4 cup olive oil.
    1 tablespoon Cajun spice
    1 tablespoon paprika

Cook 1.5 hrs 350°. I did mine for 2.5 hrs at 200°

The dressing is mixed in after the cabbage is cut up into slaw.
    Dressing
    1 1/2 cups mayo
    1/2 a red onion. 3 or 4 scallions
    2 tablespoons sugar.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Wow, Ron you certainly are a great cook on the grill
    Like others have mentioned, never would have thought about the cling wrap.
    But after you explained it, does make sense.
    I vote for the cook out at Ron’s
    I’ll bring my sleeping bag, I’ll be fine in his shop, I will get that lounge chair he has in his shop lol.

Thanks Brian. Not so sure I should be called a great cook. But I try.

All I can say is come on down. Doubt you would need a sleeping bag though. Nights are staying around the 70° mark. You might get a bit warm. lol
    For what it’s worth. That glider rocker sleeps great.

Ron

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I have been spoiled the job Im on the customer brings me coffee and muffins twice a day. It awesome.

Im actually afraid to not eat whatever or else it will dry up LOL

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Doobie

Thanks for the recipe Ron. I’m gonna print it and look at other variations on the internet also.

I did start reading further on the saran wrap use in cooking. Not as worrisome as I initially thought provided you keep temps under control. Might actually try this too. Seems there’s a lot of uses involving cooking ribs this way.

Doobie

It was time for another batch of steak bombs.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Rabbit stew with brandy, red wine, pearl onions and button mushrooms. Mmmmm

BE the change you want to see.
    Even if you can’t Be The Pro… Be The Poster you’d want to read.

Attachments:

i’m way too hungry to be looking at this thread

Doobie

Rabbit stew with brandy, red wine, pearl onions and button mushrooms. Mmmmm

I should try that. I saw five of those cute things all at once in my yard last week and it may be time to dig out my trap and get the cooking apron on. 😉

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

well this is going to be an unpopular post as i bet you all would not like what i just started to try. Meal replacement shakes. from companies like todu and soylent and joylent. Its a nutritionally balanced shake that if you wanted to, all you do is drink it 3 times a day and you will feel full and be perfectly healthy. I haven’t gone that hardcore, but i do enjoy it for breakfast as a quick feed.

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

well this is going to be an unpopular post as i bet you all would not like what i just started to try. Meal replacement shakes. from companies like todu and soylent and joylent. Its a nutritionally balanced shake that if you wanted to, all you do is drink it 3 times a day and you will feel full and be perfectly healthy. I haven’t gone that hardcore, but i do enjoy it for breakfast as a quick feed.

Can you barbecue those? LOL

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Can you barbecue those? LOL

unfortunately not lol, they are quick and easy, might work for @utopia78 because he is always up on a stage. you can quick mix and get a meal and keep right on trucking.

Talking about grilling though, i just started to try that brazilian cut of steak the picanha. its pretty decent inexpensive cut of meat.

utopia78
    Pro
    Toronto, ON

Going to have to try some of the recipes in this thread, the York University cafe next door isn’t cutting it.

A Working Pro since 2004

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Talking about grilling though, i just started to try that brazilian cut of steak the picanha. its pretty decent inexpensive cut of meat.

When done right it can be a very tasty meal.

well this is going to be an unpopular post as i bet you all would not like what i just started to try. Meal replacement shakes

Done a few in the past. Fast is about the only good thing about them. Not really my thing.

Ron

smallerstick
    Pro
    North Bay, ON

Gotta try that, it looks really good. Kind of reminds me of a tri-tip but with more fat.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

When done right it can be a very tasty meal.

well this is going to be an unpopular post as i bet you all would not like what i just started to try. Meal replacement shakes

Done a few in the past. Fast is about the only good thing about them. Not really my thing.

the new ones are slightly better i think in flavour. However you are right! there is no replacing a good meal. during a time crunch or what not, i just want to gulp down a meal and keep on going.

Gotta try that, it looks really good. Kind of reminds me of a tri-tip but with more fat.

yah i got the tip on the meat from a youtube video series called sous vide everything.

I’ve started to drink hot coffee agin . Having at least two before I head out the door . Then another two during the day . Boy I’m I drinking to much ha ha .

Always willing to learn .

Doobie

This is absolutely one of my favorite things to eat, marinated grilled calamari with a bucket of tzaziki. Breaded/deep fried calamari is crap compared to this imo.

This is absolutely one of my favorite things to eat, marinated grilled calamari with a bucket of tzaziki. Breaded/deep fried calamari is crap compared to this imo.

I HATE YOU lol, that is one of my favorite also, love Greek food.
    I take it your at a restaurant near you?

@Skillman
    haha, yeah I’m in the same boat Will, at least 3 big ones, used to be 4 but trying to cut it out,

Viewing 20 posts - 241 through 260 (of 1,013 total)
  • The topic ‘Food and Drink – On and Off the Jobsite’ is closed to new replies.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 1.299 seconds