dcsimg

Food and Drink – On and Off the Jobsite

This topic contains 96 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ron RonW 6 days, 6 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chad
    ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

In light of all the recent new threads for for and drink I felt it best for the forum to consolidate everything into one thread. If I hurt some feelings sorry but it needed done – things have gotten a bit out of hand lately. I will be watching this thread closely if things start to get out of hand here this thread will be closed. So let’s keep it cordial and not go too crazy….

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

well lately I’ve been making lunches and dinners ahead of time and freezing it in vacuum sealed bags so i can eat them like tv dinners anywhere i can either get hot water to soak the bag or nuke it.

I had about a six pack of these last night . Need one of these to put them in to .

Always willing to learn .

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I had about a six pack of these last night . Need one of these to put them in to .

Are the pelicans as good as the yetis? i really want a yeti. I was at basspro when a sales person told me a great story, i don’t know if it is true or not. It was said there was a gentleman on his way to saudi arabia from Toronto, so he wanted to bring some specific ice cream back. He went and bought a soft side yeti cooler to house the ice cream all the way back.

Are the pelicans as good as the yetis? i really want a yeti. I was at basspro when a sales person told me a great story, i don’t know if it is true or not. It was said there was a gentleman on his way to saudi arabia from Toronto, so he wanted to bring some specific ice cream back. He went and bought a soft side yeti cooler to house the ice cream all the way back.

I’m not sure how well they work since I don’t own one . Pelican says it keep ice cold ten days . Yeiti makes a great cooler . But there way over priced . My next one will be RTIC . Same as yeiti but half the price .

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

Finally, a sanctioned food thread. Please let’s not trash this one with nonsense guys. 😬

Thanks Chad! 😊

Kevin.

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

Morning cup of coffee (from an old well-seasoned Moka pot I got as a housewarming from an old italian Nonna who lived next door to my parents – used heavily since the early 80s)

In a few minutes, I will start cooking, since we have friends coming over.

Appetizers
    1. Lupini beans with garlic, olive oil, and parsley
    2. Crisped salami (put on baking sheet in over at 400 for abut 10 mins)
    3. Finely chopped Scamorza cheese (smoked Mozzarella basically) Chopped garden tomato, Chopped Dry Chorizo all tossed in Basalmic and olive oil, served on a basil leaf.
    4. Gravlax served on a slate of Himalayan salt
    5 PEI Oysters, with light salt and some options on the side (have to pickle some Echallote Francaises in apple cider vinegar next)

Mains
    1. Ceviche
    2. Yellowfin Tuna Tataki served on Jicama “tacos” (thin slices)
    3. Not sure yet – menu is missing something
    4. Southern Mac & Cheese for the kids (there are going to be 10 of them… not taking chances on their ability to eat what we eat)

Served with:
    An assortment of Weiss Beers (Wheat beers), white wine and homemade red wine (SanGeovese) in the supertuscan style

Dessert:
    No clue…. any ideas?

Profile photo of Ron
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

@montreal_medic What time should I be there?

Profile photo of Éric
    Montreal_Medic
    Pro
    Montreal, Quebec

@montreal_medic What time should I be there?

Bit of a drive, but youd be welcome

Profile photo of Brian
    Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Morning cup of coffee (from an old well-seasoned Moka pot I got as a housewarming from an old italian Nonna who lived next door to my parents – used heavily since the early 80s)

In a few minutes, I will start cooking, since we have friends coming over.

Appetizers
    1. Lupini beans with garlic, olive oil, and parsley
    2. Crisped salami (put on baking sheet in over at 400 for abut 10 mins)
    3. Finely chopped Scamorza cheese (smoked Mozzarella basically) Chopped garden tomato, Chopped Dry Chorizo all tossed in Basalmic and olive oil, served on a basil leaf.
    4. Gravlax served on a slate of Himalayan salt
    5 PEI Oysters, with light salt and some options on the side (have to pickle some Echallote Francaises in apple cider vinegar next)

Mains
    1. Ceviche
    2. Yellowfin Tuna Tataki served on Jicama “tacos” (thin slices)
    3. Not sure yet – menu is missing something
    4. Southern Mac & Cheese for the kids (there are going to be 10 of them… not taking chances on their ability to eat what we eat)

Served with:
    An assortment of Weiss Beers (Wheat beers), white wine and homemade red wine (SanGeovese) in the supertuscan style

Dessert:
    No clue…. any ideas?

I can always pick something up before I come over for supper, 😉

Sounds great by the way.

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

First roast on the Big Green Egg today. Whole pork loin sliced in a spiral, stuffed with a basic onion, celery, mushroom, bread cube mixture; seasoned with Mt Scion savoury, salt and pepper. Took about two hours at 350º. Charcoal with chunks of cherry for flavour.

Pic is the one remaining portion, sorry it’s been somewhat beat up but it was a hungry crowd.

Attachments:

There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in.
    Leonard Cohen

First roast on the Big Green Egg today. Whole pork loin sliced in a spiral, stuffed with a basic onion, celery, mushroom, bread cube mixture; seasoned with Mt Scion savoury, salt and pepper. Took about two hours at 350º. Charcoal with chunks of cherry for flavour.

Pic is the one remaining portion, sorry it’s been somewhat beat up but it was a hungry crowd.

I almost bought that big green egg myself . Was surprised at the cost of the units .

Profile photo of Austin
    Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Good day the supervisor bought me lunch today. Pen station sub!

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Oh man there is a New fad hitting town. I know Poke has been gaining traction but this one might make it taste even better, the Sushi Burrito. I can just sit here and eat one after another.

worth EVERY Penny.

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I almost bought that big green egg myself . Was surprised at the cost of the units .

Doing the math, they’re not too bad. About double the cost of a gas grill and last 3 -4 times longer at least. Not a bad deal, really.

worth EVERY Penny.

That looks good enough to eat! Where do you get them?

Leonard Cohen

Profile photo of r-ice
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Doing the math, they’re not too bad. About double the cost of a gas grill and last 3 -4 times longer at least. Not a bad deal, really.

worth EVERY Penny.

right now they are the biggest hit in Toronto, you can get them at quite a few locations, this one was bought at Pokito, when you are in Toronto, you definitely need to give this a try. 5 stars, let me tell you.

Profile photo of Peter
    smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

worth EVERY Penny.

right now they are the biggest hit in Toronto, you can get them at quite a few locations, this one was bought at Pokito, when you are in Toronto, you definitely need to give this a try. 5 stars, let me tell you.

That’s close to my son’s ‘hood. I asked him to check it out for me. Could be a stop when I visit next.

Leonard Cohen

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

BGEs are generally sold in specility stores like fireplace or chef/cooking equipment retailers here in Canada as far as I’ve seen thus far in the ten or so years since I started looking and drooling at them. While I would love one myself, my family does not like char-broiled flavor cooking, so it’s hard to justify getting one. 🙁

Kevin.

Profile photo of Kevin
    Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

OK guys, you gotta try these Bacon Wrapped Steak Bombs! My local pub started offering these with a homemade sriracha mayo type dip and they are addictive. Or at least I ‘think’ it’s got sriracha in his dip, bugger won’t tell me.

I bought the ingredients to make some myself which I’ll maybe do later tonite. Or I might marinate the steak strips overnite like in the video although the pub doesn’t do such, they are yummy regardless. Not sure if I’ll make the dip for them like at the pub. The owner/chef wouldn’t devulge his sauce secrets to me no matter how I tell him I won’t share it with any other pub owners.

I might try a few different seasoning ways of doing them. I was thinking some sprinkled with rib rub like in the video, some with Montreal Steak spice, and maybe some with Cajun seasoning, and see what tastes best. Anybody have any other suggestions?

While it’s dubbed tailgate food, when I showed my wife, she was quote anxious for me to make them too.

Kevin.

Profile photo of Ron
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Man those look great Doobie.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 97 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.354 seconds