dcsimg

Fluorescent Light bay mystery

This topic contains 65 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  gregmtrainer 9 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Author

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My wife got me a new LED shop light this year; I got it installed today. What a difference! Rated at 60 watt, 5500 lumens,

Nice very nice. Lots of light now.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

My wife got me a new LED shop light this year; I got it installed today. What a difference! Rated at 60 watt, 5500 lumens, it makes a huge difference to my workspace.

Now if I could only deal with the clutter, I might be able to get something done.

wow that light is bright as hell. can’t have enough light in a shop.
    but definitely a nice shop you got there πŸ˜›

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@smallerstick your shop looks awesome and I love all that bright light in there!

Also, I started a new thread for more about lighting – this thread really isn’t about that, but it has become a place to talk about it so I thought I’d just make it official πŸ™‚

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/lighting-upgrades-discussion-led-and-new-technology/

Charlie

Instagram

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

My wife got me a new LED shop light this year; I got it installed today. What a difference! Rated at 60 watt, 5500 lumens, it makes a huge difference to my workspace.

Now if I could only deal with the clutter, I might be able to get something done.

Wow Peter, congrats on the new lights, looking nice and bright,

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

@smallerstick your shop looks awesome and I love all that bright light in there!

Also, I started a new thread for more about lighting – this thread really isn’t about that, but it has become a place to talk about it so I thought I’d just make it official 🙂

http://bethepro.com/forums/topic/lighting-upgrades-discussion-led-and-new-technology/

Thanks, Charlie and thanks for the dedicated thread, too. Shop lighting is so important, it’s about time we had a place to talk about it.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

google “lumen output 4 foot fluorescent”, and look up the type of lamp you have- t12 or t8 4 foot or 8 foot and color, you will see how many lumens approximately you are trying to replace. the problem is that the same lamp will give different output of lumens by some percentage with different ballasts but at least you know what you are shooting for. I think you will be pleased in any case. For a point of reference we replaced a bunch of our office’s 4 lamp t8’s with LED and we had to go from two lamps lit to one lamp in some fixtures because the office manager didn’t like the room that bright. I think if you get about any replacement LED you will get a fair amount more lumens (light flux) and plus the LED light is more directional so more of it hits your work surface. End result is the numbers can be misleading towards underestimating how bright the area will be with LED.

As far as non shunted lamp holders, that is for the led lamps that don’t need a ballast. Some lamps are made to just plug and play- take out the old and put in the new and no lamp holder issues. If you get the type that bypass the ballast and take the 120v directly to the lamp holders then you need to watch the lamp holders. I just did a couple of fixtures for a friend, they got lamps at home depot and the box had the lamp holders in it if you needed them. Some fluorescent lamp/ballast combinations have both of the pins on one end of the lamp tied together (shunt means parallel). If the lamps you get don’t come with lamp holders then buy a couple and return them if you don’t need them. you will be able to tell when you open up the fixture to change lamps, look to see if there is one or two wires going to the lamp holder. the kit my friend bought had pretty clear directions (and in english, not just pictograms, bonus)

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.253 seconds