dcsimg

Fluorescent Light bay mystery

This topic contains 65 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  gregmtrainer 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Me too Bill.
    I see Costco has a special on 4′ LED lights. 2 lights for $40.

That is a super price, jump on it.

oh cool – thanks for hint, I need some for my garage/shop.
    curious about the chain-pull if they stay on when plugged in and I turn the switch on and off or do I have to pull the chain every time too to turn the light on.

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Me too Bill.

curious about the chain-pull if they stay on when plugged in and I turn the switch on and off or do I have to pull the chain every time too to turn the light on.

The ones in my shop turn on and off with the switch. I don’t use the pull chain at all.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Me too Bill.

The ones in my shop turn on and off with the switch. I don’t use the pull chain at all.

thanks Ron. that sounds promising 😀
    gotta check out my local costco tomorrow if they have some left in store otherwise I order them online

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

Anonymous

I just got one of the Costco lights for $20 and mounted it above my table saw. I did only have two compact florescent bulbs above it before, but its a huge improvement… almost a night and day difference! Highly recommend the light from Costco if anyone else is still looking for new lights or Christmas presents.

What are the numbers on those lights? Lumens & K’s?

Anonymous

@dabbs, T8 are thinner – about 1″ in diameter, T12 are about 1.5″ diameter. T8’s are more energy efficient. I’ve put 4′ T8’s in a T12’s fixture and it fit, and I haven’t had any problems so far – that was a couple years ago, so I’m thinking it’s fine. I think it might not work as well to put a T12 in a T8’s place, though, since the energy needed to ignite a T12 is probably more than for a T8. There are also newer, even more efficient T5’s but I haven’t seen them yet or had any experience with them.

They have the same distance between the pins so they may appear to be interchangeable but they are not. T stands for Tube. The number beside it is the number of 1/8 inches in diameter. T12 = 12/8 or 1.5 inches. T8 = 1 inch. T5 = 5/8 inch. The ballast is what determines which bulb to use. There are a few ballasts that will drive either F32T8 or F34T12. Some will also have other designations like F17T8 – Ushape. Again, match the bulb to the ballast.

Wow you guys sure know a lot about this stuff, I’m so glad I asked. I’m sure I have T12’s now cuz they’re the bigger diameters, I will get a pic of the ballasts today and see what they say. This has turned into a very interesting and educational topic. Thanks

Ok got some pics of the ballasts, They do say T12 so I was ok on that…….. Looks like I might have shunted tombstones as there is 4 wires feeding the pair on each end, So two wires for each one??

Non-shunted have the four wires. The diagram shows a separate wire to each pin of the bulb. If you were going to upgrade to a ballast bypass LED tube, you would be safe buying any that suited your needs. With those particular ballasts, you would not have much (if any) success with LED tubes requiring ballasts.

Anything is possible if your wallet is thick enough ~ my father

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I just got one of the Costco lights for $20 and mounted it above my table saw. I did only have two compact florescent bulbs above it before, but its a huge improvement… almost a night and day difference! Highly recommend the light from Costco if anyone else is still looking for new lights or Christmas presents.

Here ya go Dabbs.
    Brightness (Lumens): 3700
    Color Temp: 4000K

Ron

Anonymous

Here ya go Dabbs.

Thanks Ron and wowwy, I think those are some good enough numbers that I was hoping for. Especially the 3700 Lumens

EDIT; Just checked out Costco, All I see is a 4′ dual bulb LED fixture for $40. Think it might be an on-line special only and gotta add $5 shipping, Can’t figure out a way to see if it’s available in the store too…Looks like a nice light though http://www.costco.com/4%E2%80%99-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain%2c-2-pack.product.100284402.html

EDIT #2 lol;
    Now I see it says it’s a 2 pack, Cool!! Need more coffee

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Here ya go Dabbs.

Thanks Ron and wowwy, I think those are some good enough numbers that I was hoping for. Especially the 3700 Lumens

EDIT; Just checked out Costco, All I see is a 4′ dual bulb LED fixture for $40. Think it might be an on-line special only and gotta add $5 shipping, Can’t figure out a way to see if it’s available in the store too…Looks like a nice light though http://www.costco.com/4%E2%80%99-Linkable-LED-Shop-Light-with-Pull-Chain%2c-2-pack.product.100284402.html

EDIT #2 lol;
    Now I see it says it’s a 2 pack, Cool!! Need more coffee

I think it is online only buy. And the sale ends Christmas eve.

And I think you need a little something extra in your coffee. lol

Ron

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’m ready to get rid of all the florescent bulbs and go to LED kits, that way I can eliminate the ballasts completely and some of the LED kits I’ve seen come with new sockets too

That is the way to go and no humming either, plus they start right up in the cold. I would just get the lights myself rather than mess around with the kits.

Me too Bill.

Thanks Ron, will have to take a trip out to the Costco around me to check that out,
    I tell you, at the shop / plant they started to change all the tube lighting for the new led, big difference.

oh man I wish my costco had that deal, I have two of the costco led shop lights hooked up in my shop right now. provides the perfect amount of light.

I really like the lights in my shop. The higher K daylight bulbs make seeing things much more comfortable. We are genetically engineered to see best in natural daylight, so the closer you get to that the better. You can see the specs on the bulbs I used here. The 3 2-light units light up the shop pretty well.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I love the shop @jimdaddyo, looks like you’ve got plenty of light in there, especially in the day time! My shop is pretty dark, and only has one Westward facing window that’s mostly blocked from the sun by our house, so your set up looks great to me.

Charlie

Instagram

I love the shop @jimdaddyo, looks like you’ve got plenty of light in there, especially in the day time! My shop is pretty dark, and only has one Westward facing window that’s mostly blocked from the sun by our house, so your set up looks great to me.

The bank of 3 windows face kind of northish….so it is indirect light which is nice and soft. Sometimes you want a raking light for working, but for the most part I love the light from the windows. The worktable is on the east(ish) wall so I get a strong light in through that in the A.M. that you can see in some of my videos. That is a nice place to sit and work in the morning.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@jimdaddyo, that sounds peaceful and productive. Natural light is wonderful to have in a shop. Whenever I get the chance to be out there in the day time with the shop door open, I love the difference all that sunlight makes!

Charlie

Instagram

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

So all you talking about Costco’s great deal…I was there Christmas shopping and saw the deal and immediately threw one in the cart (wishing I had grabbed ten of them though!). My gracious wife was so supportive so it looks like I’ll be getting some more much needed light in the shop and I’m so excited! I’ll post up a before and after pic (assuming there’s much difference, which – hopefully!) after I get it up.

Attachments:

Charlie

Instagram

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

Our local Costco carries a different style/kind of Feit LED Light.
    I purchased one light at the beginning of the year when they had a sale and I definitely liked the price and how bright they are.
    I’ll be there today and I see what they carry this time.
    Would like to grab a few more myself.

Instagram
    Palm Springs, CA

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

I got it installed this morning and wow what a difference it makes! Even with just the one extra light bay, it adds so much more visibility in there!

Charlie

Instagram

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

My wife got me a new LED shop light this year; I got it installed today. What a difference! Rated at 60 watt, 5500 lumens, it makes a huge difference to my workspace.

Now if I could only deal with the clutter, I might be able to get something done.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it muffles the sound.

My wife got me a new LED shop light this year; I got it installed today. What a difference! Rated at 60 watt, 5500 lumens, it makes a huge difference to my workspace.

Nice! Us old guys need all the light we can get.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Nice! Us old guys need all the light we can get.

Ain’t that the truth! I really like those little lights, I think they put out more than the 2 – 4 tube T-8s behind them, and use far less power, too.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it muffles the sound.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.628 seconds