dcsimg

Fluorescent Light bay mystery

This topic contains 65 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  gregmtrainer 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

@dabbs a lot of places that sell these lights commercially have good displays that will give you a good idea of what the lamps put out. You could give that a try too. And sometimes shopping at a commercial retailer you’ll find better prices than if you shop at a big box. Not always, but it’s never bad to get a second opinion on cost, right?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, Shopping on-line is impossible as of now since I don’t really know for sure what exactly I’d be getting. I need to go to a store and see how they are in real life first. Thanks for your help, At least now I have a better idea of what to look for and why

Shunted means that both sides of the tombstone are connected internally. Very common on existing T8 fixtures. Non-shunted means the two halves of the tombstone are not internally connected. Very typical on T12 fixtures. The easiest way to tell is look at where the wires go into the tombstone. Most shunted will only have two inserts for wires. All non-shunted will have 4 places for wires. 8 ft led tubes are still quite expensive. I would suggest converting it to tandem 4 ft bulbs.

Anything is possible if your wallet is thick enough ~ my father

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@gdhaywood thanks for clearing that up – I guess I only have shunted tombstones then.

@dabbs no problem – always glad to share what little I know!

As for my own problem, I decided to stop trying to wrestle any more with it and just swapped out the ballast. Solved the problem just like that. It’s so weird though, I’ve never had a ballast partially fail. But, on the upside, I now have a new set of experience to draw on the next time something funny happens!

Charlie

Instagram

Anonymous

Shunted means that both sides of the tombstone are connected internally. Very common on existing T8 fixtures. Non-shunted means the two halves of the tombstone are not internally connected. Very typical on T12 fixtures. The easiest way to tell is look at where the wires go into the tombstone. Most shunted will only have two inserts for wires. All non-shunted will have 4 places for wires. 8 ft led tubes are still quite expensive. I would suggest converting it to tandem 4 ft bulbs.

Wow great info, I’ll have to get up there close to see what exactly I’ve got. Thanks

Anonymous

As for my own problem, I decided to stop trying to wrestle any more with it and just swapped out the ballast. Solved the problem just like that. It’s so weird though, I’ve never had a ballast partially fail. But, on the upside, I now have a new set of experience to draw on the next time something funny happens!

What do ballasts cost these days? I think I have a few spares way way up buried deep in the attic of my shed out back, That’s where I threw a few extra fixtures I didn’t use 20 years ago, Not really in the mood to dig out the 16′ ladder to go out there in this weather to look though lol

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@dabbs I’ve seen different prices depending on where you shop and how many lamps you need to run off the ballast. For a two lamp rapid start commercial grade ballast I was paying about $20 at the hardware store and then found an electrical supply place that had the same ones for around $15. And for a ballast with three lamps at that same place it went up to about $16.50. A four lamp ballast was around $20 I think. I live in Washington, so depending on where you’re at, it’s probably a little less!

Charlie

Instagram

Anonymous

@dabbs I’ve seen different prices depending on where you shop and how many lamps you need to run off the ballast. For a two lamp rapid start commercial grade ballast I was paying about $20 at the hardware store and then found an electrical supply place that had the same ones for around $15. And for a ballast with three lamps at that same place it went up to about $16.50. A four lamp ballast was around $20 I think. I live in Washington, so depending on where you’re at, it’s probably a little less!

Alrighty another option, I’ll take a picture of my ballasts so I’ll know what to look for when pricing them out. Then make a decision on which way to go.

I see we’re neighbors as I’m in Idaho, I looked up where you’re at and I really like that area. I spent a couple weeks up there a while back touring the islands on the Ferrys, I want to get my boat up there and do it again and just live on the water for a few months. Maybe longer….. I also noticed that little island called ‘Protection Island’ is in that same area, I caught a TV show about it last year. Cool!!

Anonymous

Ok I finally went out and looked em over, Some bulbs say 34watt and others say 40 watt. Even found one that said 6500K…..I couldn’t get a good look yet at whether they’re shunted or non-shunted tombstones as they’re encased in a metal housing

Sounds like you have F34T12 and F40T12 bulbs. Almost all T12 ballasts can only power one or two bulbs max. This is why you will find two ballasts in the older four bulb fixtures. An electronic replacement ballast is around $20 for T12. An electronic ballast for F32T8 would be around $30 or less and can power up to four bulbs. Since you mentioned 34 and 40 watt, it would be a safe bet that you have non shunted tombstones. The 6500k you found indicates that particular bulb is a daylight bulb. They appear brighter because of the color spectrum they put off.

Imagine looking at a painted wall as the sun rises. Then compare that same wall every couple of hours. As the sun peaks in the sky, the color of the painted wall will appear its most vivid. This is what 6500k bulbs mimic. 2700k bulbs would be closer to just past sunrise. 4100k would be somewhere in between.

I hope this clears some things up. I am including a picture of a non shunted tombstone. You will notice two pair of wire inserts. This indicates the inside blades are not mechanically connected. If you are uncertain, use a continuity tester to check across both blades. Shunted will beep or lights on, non shunted will not.

Attachments:

Anonymous

You’re right on the ballasts, There’s one for every two bulbs. What’s the diff between T8 & T12 bulbs? Gee, Maybe I’m not using the right bulbs for the ballasts? Are they interchangeable?

I’ll go back up there and look over every bulb to see what ‘T’ it is and make a note of which ones aren’t working, I’ll try to get a pic of the ballasts too just to be sure. Your pic of the tombstone will help me a lot too

Once again, Thanks for the great info.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@Dabbs, T8 are thinner – about 1″ in diameter, T12 are about 1.5″ diameter. T8’s are more energy efficient. I’ve put 4′ T8’s in a T12’s fixture and it fit, and I haven’t had any problems so far – that was a couple years ago, so I’m thinking it’s fine. I think it might not work as well to put a T12 in a T8’s place, though, since the energy needed to ignite a T12 is probably more than for a T8. There are also newer, even more efficient T5’s but I haven’t seen them yet or had any experience with them.

Charlie

Instagram

They have the same distance between the pins so they may appear to be interchangeable but they are not. T stands for Tube. The number beside it is the number of 1/8 inches in diameter. T12 = 12/8 or 1.5 inches. T8 = 1 inch. T5 = 5/8 inch. The ballast is what determines which bulb to use. There are a few ballasts that will drive either F32T8 or F34T12. Some will also have other designations like F17T8 – Ushape. Again, match the bulb to the ballast.

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@gdhaywood, so what happens if you do interchange them? Like I said, I have a few T8’s I’ve put in for some T12’s and nothing’s happened that I can tell…so what’s the reasoning not to?

Charlie

Instagram

It is possible that the ballast is compatible with both and you won’t experience any problems. On the other hand, it typically leads to decreased ballast and/or bulb life. Several years ago when the industry was making the change from T12 to T8, I installed a new T8 fixture and put T12 bulbs. I think it lasted maybe 6 months. Since then, I’ve been more careful about which bulbs I install. I also check the ballast on existing fixtures whenever a customer complains about bulb life.

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

It is possible that the ballast is compatible with both and you won’t experience any problems. On the other hand, it typically leads to decreased ballast and/or bulb life. Several years ago when the industry was making the change from T12 to T8, I installed a new T8 fixture and put T12 bulbs. I think it lasted maybe 6 months. Since then, I’ve been more careful about which bulbs I install. I also check the ballast on existing fixtures whenever a customer complains about bulb life.

Interesting Thank you for the insight.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@gdhaywood that makes sense. I’ll be more careful to check that from here on. Most places that I work in have the T8’s already, but for the few that don’t I’ll have to look and see if the ballasts are compatible. Thanks for all the info!

Charlie

Instagram

Anonymous

@dabbs, T8 are thinner – about 1″ in diameter, T12 are about 1.5″ diameter. T8’s are more energy efficient. I’ve put 4′ T8’s in a T12’s fixture and it fit, and I haven’t had any problems so far – that was a couple years ago, so I’m thinking it’s fine. I think it might not work as well to put a T12 in a T8’s place, though, since the energy needed to ignite a T12 is probably more than for a T8. There are also newer, even more efficient T5’s but I haven’t seen them yet or had any experience with them.

They have the same distance between the pins so they may appear to be interchangeable but they are not. T stands for Tube. The number beside it is the number of 1/8 inches in diameter. T12 = 12/8 or 1.5 inches. T8 = 1 inch. T5 = 5/8 inch. The ballast is what determines which bulb to use. There are a few ballasts that will drive either F32T8 or F34T12. Some will also have other designations like F17T8 – Ushape. Again, match the bulb to the ballast.

Wow you guys sure know a lot about this stuff, I’m so glad I asked. I’m sure I have T12’s now cuz they’re the bigger diameters, I will get a pic of the ballasts today and see what they say. This has turned into a very interesting and educational topic. Thanks

I’m ready to get rid of all the florescent bulbs and go to LED kits, that way I can eliminate the ballasts completely and some of the LED kits I’ve seen come with new sockets too

That is the way to go and no humming either, plus they start right up in the cold. I would just get the lights myself rather than mess around with the kits.

Me too Bill.
    I see Costco has a special on 4′ LED lights. 2 lights for $40.

Thanks Ron, will have to take a trip out to the Costco around me to check that out,
    I tell you, at the shop / plant they started to change all the tube lighting for the new led, big difference.

I just got one of the Costco lights for $20 and mounted it above my table saw. I did only have two compact florescent bulbs above it before, but its a huge improvement… almost a night and day difference! Highly recommend the light from Costco if anyone else is still looking for new lights or Christmas presents.

Masterbosch
    Pro
    Wayne, NJ

Has to be socket issue maybe they get reversal somewere or there is a arch happening or something

plusoneconstructionllc@gmail.com

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Me too Bill.
    I see Costco has a special on 4′ LED lights. 2 lights for $40.

That is a super price, jump on it.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.058 seconds