dcsimg

Florida detached garage sinking water erosion not sinkhole need opinions

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Pennnamebooks 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Dear Group, I am posting pictures of my own detached concrete block garage in Tampa, Florida. The garage is assumed to have been built in the 1970s on an existing (1960’s?) patio or driveway slab. There was no proper garage footer other than the previously existing slab of approx 4-6 inches in depth. There is also a funny barrier 4 inch wall around the perimeter of the 1960’s slab. Also pictured is a concrete slice that I believe was poured because the garage sits on an incline and it was created to “level” the existing slab. In addition to the concrete block sinking in the North wall the garage floor has cracked and has sunk approx 2 inches in a moon shaped area. My question for the group is this:

How would you handle this project?

My thoughts (which balance time – I have some and expense – I have very little$):

1. Pay a polyurethane pumping company to drill holes and raise the garage floor and North wall back to the original level.

2. Dig out and chip away concrete “slice” and 1960’s slab to pour a proper footer (in 4 foot sections one at a time using rebar reinforcement) under the North wall.

3. Put crushed stone and gravel 2/3 feet deep around perimeter of the new footer to encourage proper water drainage.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.
    Sincerely,
    Matt Penn, Tampa, Fl.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

It was built wrong to begin with and now you want to patch it up.. good luck. Looks like it’s time to demo it down and rebuild it right. We did one here, it came out very nice.
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/lazy-pigggs-some-guys/page/47/#post-634064

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

It was built wrong to begin with and now you want to patch it up.. good luck. Looks like it’s time to demo it down and rebuild it right. We did one here, it came out very nice.
    https://bethepro.com/forums/topic/lazy-pigggs-some-guys/page/47/#post-634064

I would have to agree with you for sure
    No use putting bandaid on the garage , just to have it happen again down the road
    I think DWB is right , I would make sure that it is done right and for a long life time.

Dear DWB and others, I appreciate your opinions and believe me if I had the funds to demo and redo I would. Unfortunately, that is not an option. I will have to keep “redoing” the work as you said. So, given that I will have to become expert at “making this work” does anyone have an opinion on how well my plan will work? Specifically, experiences with PolyJacking and pouring footers in 4 foot sections under an existing structure. I have seen it done fairly well and I believe I can do it. I will take great pains to get the new footer as close to code or better than code as possible.

Sincerely,
    Matt Penn, Tampa, Fl.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.401 seconds