dcsimg

Flooring preparation advice needed

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  fishguy3 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Hello, I have a bathroom floor I would like to lay ceramic tile in. I have ran hardwood to the bathroom door so with the tile I would like to roughly build up the floor about 3/4 of an inch. My subfloor is 5/8 inch OSB. How do I prep this for tiles so I won’t a have a problem in the future? I was hoping to use a cement board. Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

1/4″ cement board and 3/8″ tile should get pretty close b the time you add thinset.

From everyone I have spoken to the moisture from cement breaks down the glue in OSB and then the floor will flex.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

From everyone I have spoken to the moisture from cement breaks down the glue in OSB and then the floor will flex.

I’m not a tile guy, but I wouldn’t think cement board would have a lot of moisture in it. Or are you meaning if you laid tile directly on the OSB?

Hi Brian, when you lay cement board you are supposed to put a layer of thin set between the sub floor and the cement board and then screw it down.

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Hi Brian, when you lay cement board you are supposed to put a layer of thin set between the sub floor and the cement board and then screw it down.

You do apply a thin layer of thin set over the sub floor when using 1/4″ Hardie Backer Board.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

You do apply a thin layer of thin set over the sub floor when using 1/4″ Hardie Backer Board.

I didn’t know that, but then, I’ve never laid tile either. So, what is the solution to the cement on OSB the OP mentioned?

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I didn’t know that, but then, I’ve never laid tile either. So, what is the solution to the cement on OSB the OP mentioned?

I don’t see a problem.
    James Hardie recommends using 23/32 OSB or 5/8 Exterior Plywood. And to use a 1/4″ notched trowel to apply mortar or modified thin set.

http://www.jameshardie.com/d2w/installation/hardiebacker-us-en.pdf

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Well then if you are worried about that, maybe Pl premium 1/4 ply right over the osb them tile right over the 1/4 ply? Maybe that’s an option.
    I have never tried, but anyone know if you can do the same with the cement board, pl premium to the osb board?

Clev08
    Pro

I have always used thin set and screwed the backer board to plywood, never OSB. I think it would almost be easiest to tear out the osb subfloor and replace it with 5/8” plywood as recommended. I would not recommend tiling directly over wood, it the wood moves the tiles may crack, using the backer board prevents that.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I have always used thin set and screwed the backer board to plywood, never OSB. I think it would almost be easiest to tear out the osb subfloor and replace it with 5/8” plywood as recommended. I would not recommend tiling directly over wood, it the wood moves the tiles may crack, using the backer board prevents that.

There’s no need to tear out the OSB and replace with ply. The OSB is stronger.
    Can you get to the bottom of the OSB to add blocks and the seams?

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Hi Dirty

No I can’t get to the bottom of the OSB. It is on a second floor bathroom.

Thanks

Mark

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have installed hardy backer over OSB using thinset and screws or nails on hundreds of floors without issue. The floor should not get that much water on it to cause a problem. Showers are done completely different however to deal with the moisture

Thank you Kurt, I really appreciate it.

Thanks everyone for the tips. Its always appreciated.

Mark

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I always use a tube of liquid nail under each piece of hardy board and screw down. I think it works better than using thin set under it. I think the only reason to put anything under it is to fill any low places under it. I know that isn’t what the instructions say but I have never had any problems doing it this way.

Thanks Roninohio. I appreciate all the advice I get.

I am ready to take the vanity out. This mirror I have which goes from the top of the vanity to the ceiling will it support itself once the vanity is removed?

CB
    Pro

If I had installed the bottom mirror channel, it would hold, as long as there were mirror tabs toward the top of the mirror to prevent it from tipping out.

If you had installed the bottom mirror channel, it would likely hold too, because you probably would have assessed the size and the weight of the mirror, and chosen a nail diameter and depth accordingly, taking advantage of all the triangular holes in the back of the mirror channel, and aligning them onto studs.

But you likely didn’t install the mirror, since you are asking if it will hold.

When in doubt, pull it out.

Or, take it slow, and see how it goes.

Or, slide out one corner, but don’t be a loner.
    Have a good helper who’s also a yelper.
    He’ll let you know if the mirror’s ’bout to go.
    Then to save face, you’ll prop your ready made brace.
    Saved by Grace, maintain a slow and steady pace.

Thanks CB, I appreciate it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.765 seconds