dcsimg

Flooring placement question

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

OK I see fiber as in fiberglass. Somehow I thought it was a eco friendly fiber.

Apparently, it’s “hypoallergenic and Certified asthma & allergy friendly” also.

Seems like a nice product. I’ll have to check it out the next time I’m in a Home Depot.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Seems like a nice product. I’ll have to check it out the next time I’m in a Home Depot.

That’s some nice stuff there.
    There is nothing good about the manufacturing of fiberglass.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

yah I am going to try to install it soon after the railings. my only problem is during the last person to own the house caulked EVERYTHING down. so I am going to try to cut as close to the wall as I can as well as using a carpet tape to make sure everything stays in one spot.

burr251
    Pro

burr251 wrote:Just be sure the subfloor is ABSOLUTELY smooth

Over here they usually pour down some self leveling stuff to make the floor very smooth for the glue down flooring.

Yea we will self level in some situations but that’s a lot of cost in both material and labor that we’d typically like to avoid. Hospitals and such definitely get it but a lot of times a home doesn’t need to be level, just smooth and flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burr251
    Pro

Also if the finish floor coverings already laid in an adjoining area self leveling is out of the question, but if your careful and good enough you can still feather edge up to it.

burr251
    Pro

I’ve never heard of fiber flooring either but anytime someone says something doesn’t expand or contract I am initially skeptical. It’s been my experience that EVERYTHING moves. That said we’ve installed acres of Tarkett products and never had s problem. I still wouldn’t cut anything in tight tho. Take off your base board cut it 1/4″ short of the wall and put the base back down over the flooring. Follow their instructions on what adhesives to use if any. You’ll void you’re warranty if you don’t.

madman_us
    Pro
    Palm Springs, CA

I finally have some photos. I’ve decided to use a grey-tone oak plank flooring. One photo is of a plank. The second photo is my own current flooring as seen from the living room. You can see the edge of the living room floor in that picture. The third picture is of a bedroom that has the same flooring installed. These photos are from the flooring manufacturer.

good looking floor.
    oh and finally someone out of my area 😀

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’ve never heard of fiber flooring either but anytime someone says something doesn’t expand or contract I am initially skeptical. It’s been my experience that EVERYTHING moves. That said we’ve installed acres of Tarkett products and never had s problem. I still wouldn’t cut anything in tight tho. Take off your base board cut it 1/4″ short of the wall and put the base back down over the flooring. Follow their instructions on what adhesives to use if any. You’ll void you’re warranty if you don’t.

the fibre floori s from tarkett! and the baseboard has been caulked to the wall so I am not going to bother taking it off and just cut it close.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m little to late on the topping but it’s always good to outline the floor like box it out in the dinning room so it looks bigger in a way and will be really nice looking floor at the end

lulu
    Pro

id run it the direction the rest of the floor is going. but I mean that’s what I would do.

Trifles make perfection, but perfection is no trifle.
    Michael Angelo

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I’m little to late on the topping but it’s always good to outline the floor like box it out in the dinning room so it looks bigger in a way and will be really nice looking floor at the end

what do you mean outline the floor like a box?

getting some good info and ideas for my own house from this thread. good luck with whatever you decide to do. can’t wait to see pics.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Like border you can run a border around it it will def make the place look bigger I see it on costumer house it’s really nice e <ablockquote class=”d4pbbc-quote”>

what do you mean outline the floor like a box?

Anonymous
    Inactive

make it look like a picture frame? Like in the pic? I like to do that for my decking, because it gives the eye a good stopping point, and just looks alittle more finished, but inside my house not so much. I would want it all going one way to have a good flow and make the room look open…now if there’s a step down from a dining room to living room, maybe.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

make it look like a picture frame? Like in the pic? I like to do that for my decking, because it gives the eye a good stopping point, and just looks alittle more finished, but inside my house not so much. I would want it all going one way to have a good flow and make the room look open…now if there’s a step down from a dining room to living room, maybe.

oh interesting, i didn’t do this when I was working on flooring, i just made sure the whole upper floor went the same way including the closets.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I like the fact that it gives the appearance of a good finish around the hearth.

In my brother in laws home because the floor went with the hearth I started at the hearth and went in two directions.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Is that the laminate flooring?? I can’t understand how that’s done with the way that stuff clips together?? Someone help me out.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Is that the laminate flooring?? I can’t understand how that’s done with the way that stuff clips together?? Someone help me out.

I don’t see how it can be done with laminate? That stuff doesn’t like change in direction.

On a side note has anyone seen it raised like this to meet flooring in another room. They are using shims to do it. Kinda looks like hack work to me but might be more common than I think? I would have put 1/4″ around the entire room.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Attachments:
    r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

I don’t know how its done but I’m thinking track saw or table saw the pieces and use a glue like no more nails underneath to keep it tight together. I prefer the other way where all the pieces go in one direction.

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I don’t see how it can be done with laminate? That stuff doesn’t like change in direction.

On a side note has anyone seen it raised like this to meet flooring in another room. They are using shims to do it. Kinda looks like hack work to me but might be more common than I think? I would have put 1/4″ around the entire room.

I’ve done a few floors in my time and have never seen or done anything like that.
    Definitely a hack job.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.866 seconds