dcsimg

Flooring placement question

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I’m not going to post a picture right now because my kitchen/dining room are a mess with the renovation.

Here’s my problem: I’m thinking of using vinyl plank flooring in the kitchen/dining room. I used it succcessfully in my living room, hall and master bedroom and I love it. I’m wondering if it would look okay if I install it perpendicular to the living room flooring.

When you are at my front door, you enter my living room and can see straight through to the dining room. My living room floor is laid parallel to the front door. But I want to define the dining room and kitchen space by laying the new floor at a 90 degree to the living room.

I’m thinking if I install the new floor in the same direction as the living room, the dining room would look shorter than it is. I want to have that room look longer.

Is that okay to install it in a different direction than the living room floor?

Pat

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

It seems that:
    The entry to the DR/kitchen defines its limits.
    Long runs of directional flooring can look like a bowling alley.
    Stripes running the long or cross way only affect some people – a perfectly square room may look a couple inches different. A hallway can be made even narrower or longer (or taller). It depends on the viewer, the perspective, the actual size of the room, and as often, the contents of the room.
    I’d like to hear what the design and floor people say too, but I’d be more concerned with the structural integrity of the installation and anything that facilitates it.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

That’s an interesting point, @Toolshead, about the bowling alley look. Never thought of that.

Can you please explain what you mean by the structural integrity of the installation? Thanks.

Pat

ProTom
    Pro
    Bear Lake, MI

Photos would be helpful

Always learning, and some teaching along the way.

Toolshead
    Pro
    In the Rice Fields, South TX

Structural integrity – One example might be if this is a high traffic area.
    Does vinyl plank tend to wear (or even stretch) if repeatedly struck at a certain angle? In my house we routinely take a zig-zag from the front door through a corner of the DR into the kitchen. There is a different wear pattern in the carpet where the zag step goes into the kitchen than anywhere else in either room – except a similar transition at the other kitchen entrance.
    Another example might be where the floor terminates into walls or cabinets. Also, since it’s a DR, will chairs be sliding primarily in one direction? The vinyl plank I’ve seen was grained and may wear in different ways there and where the joints meet.
    Clear as mud?
    I have no experience with this type of flooring. I’m just tossing in what I would consider as a homeowner.

NJBuilder
    Pro
    Brick, NJ, 500,000 HAM

I’m not sure why, maybe due to just waking up, but I’m having a hard time picturing this. I don’t mind a mess I might just need some type of picture.

crotalusco
    Pro
    west bend, wi

I would think you could run the other direction. It will greatly depend on your transition. Make it wider and bold to stand out and define the transition

Remember tastes are different for everyone in there flooring likes . It’s you who has to like it not what others would think because it’s your home .

If it’s the same color flooring I think it will blend in if you change direction from other rooms layout.

Always willing to learn .

staker
    Pro

You could make a boarder of a different style or color of plank.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I finally have some photos. I’ve decided to use a grey-tone oak plank flooring. One photo is of a plank. The second photo is my own current flooring as seen from the living room. You can see the edge of the living room floor in that picture. The third picture is of a bedroom that has the same flooring installed. These photos are from the flooring manufacturer.

Pat

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That’s a good idea.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

That’s a good idea.

I agree. I’m going to be changing the transition strip for sure.

Pat

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I like the plank flooring. It looks very good IMHO and is very durable.

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I like the plank flooring. It looks very good IMHO and is very durable.

Thank you, DWB!

Pat

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great question, I’m all ears on this one as I want to do my kitchen/dining room with something too. Hadn’t really considered changing the direction but I think I like the idea, For me it would off set the dining room more if I put like a transitional border around the table and change the direction

Hello Desert, I did that at my house and I think it turned out okay. I like laying flooring length wise. I think if you lay it width wise it makes not only the room look smaller like you said but the floor also looks choppy. Just my two cents.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I think changing the direction could look great. As other have said, a bulkier transition would emphasize the change, making it look intentional. Without a nice transition, it might end up looking like the floor was laid in the opposite direction by sheer chance/because it was easier. (Does that make sense??)

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Hello Desert, I did that at my house and I think it turned out okay. I like laying flooring length wise. I think if you lay it width wise it makes not only the room look smaller like you said but the floor also looks choppy. Just my two cents.

What about sticking it down diagonally???

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Indio, CA

I think changing the direction could look great. As other have said, a bulkier transition would emphasize the change, making it look intentional. Without a nice transition, it might end up looking like the floor was laid in the opposite direction by sheer chance/because it was easier. (Does that make sense??)

Yes, I think what you said makes a lot of sense.

@DirtyWhiteBoy
    : I think my kitchen/dining room area might be a bit too small to handle a diagonal pattern. Also, I would be afraid of goofing up the pattern as the floor got laid 🙂

Pat

Anonymous
    Inactive

What about sticking it down diagonally???

I feel like that would add a lot of character.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.579 seconds