dcsimg

Flooring nailer opinions

This topic contains 25 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  jponto07 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)
  • Author

I am buying a new flooring nailer and I was wondering what you guys like for nailers and why?

Thanks in advance

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I have a couple of the Bostich Staplers. I have used them a fair bit and have no issues with them.

Sorpa
    Pro
    Pierrefonds, Qc

Same here: Bostich all the way.

Clev08
    Pro

I have used both the bostitch and the numax flooring nailers. To be honest they work the exact same way and I didn’t have any problems with either. Personally I would go with the numax and save the money. And make sure you use the cleats.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/NuMax-Pneumatic-3-in-1-Flooring-16-gauge-Nailer-and-15-5-gauge-Stapler-SFL618/202101760?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CTHD%7CG%7C0%7CG-BASE-PLA-D25H-AirCompressors%7C&gclid=Cj0KEQiA0L_FBRDMmaCTw5nxm-ABEiQABn-VqZ8uOWcmtxZ9xQJCDbF7RfzLdConCqbhruAM_JZv4zEaAiTt8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

I have used the Bostich nailer with good luck but i have never used the stapler.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I have installed a few floors and in the beginning rented Bostich Nailer.

When I did my own home and knew I would be at it only on weekends I bought a RONA Branded flooring nailer and have had no issues with it.
    As long as you have the air pressure and hit the activation button properly, every nail/staple will drive in.

It really depends on how much you want to spend.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

I bought a Mastercraft nailer from Canadian tire when they had a door crasher. I paid $99 for it and it has worked very well. I am thinking of selling it to my friend and upgrading if it makes a difference.

Mark

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Above @chadm @Dabbs @jponto07

ChadM
    East Palestine, Ohio

Thanks @boschmanbrian.

@handydeck – self promotion is frowned upon and a violation of the forum rules.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

A Carpenter's Journal

Housewright Construction

WoodsConstruction
    Pro
    Sudbury, ON

I’ve always had a bostitch nailer. However with Dewalt being under the same umbrella I would immagine it is of similar quality, so whatever one is cheaper or on sale is what I would go for.

Pasalode also makes a great nailer.

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

i dont do hardwood regularly but ive used bostich, prime brand and max air.

the bostich seems to be the goto model for most guys.
    but the max air was by far the nicest ive used it was trigger operated as opposed to using a mallet

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I have the stapler/cleat nailer combo from Bostitch. I’ve run about 10,000sf of hardwood with it without a single jamb (all cleats though…never tried staples in this nailer).

Definitely go with pneumatic over manual IMHO. Your arm will thank you at the end of the day.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was kind of leaning towards the Bostich but I wanted to see if anyone was having any issues.

Thanks again

Mark

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

i dont do hardwood regularly but ive used bostich, prime brand and max air.

the bostich seems to be the goto model for most guys.
    but the max air was by far the nicest ive used it was trigger operated as opposed to using a mallet

With the mallet type there is a slight delay between shooting the staple or cleat and the strike of the mallet. This allows the flooring pieces the be driven tight before the fastener is released.

KeeganC
    Pro
    Bloomington, IN

I’m surprised no one has mentioned powernail brand. Its the only brand I’ve seen guys that only do hardwood every day use. A little more expensive, but they will last for decades or longer, even with daily use.
    If you only install hardwood occasionally, I think the bostitch is perfectly fine for the money. The option to shoot staples is nice too if you get into some of the engineered products.
    I bought the powernail model 200 several years ago to install a bunch of 1/2″ bamboo. It shoots a 20 gauge cleat, smaller and less likely to split the tongue. A very specialized flooring nailer, but a good option if you install thinner engineered hardwoods.

Keegan, thanks I will definitely check that brand out.

BMI
    Pro

Anyone able to tell my why I keep breaking nails into a bamboo floor installation? Using a Rigid nailer from the Depot.

Thanks.

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Anyone able to tell my why I keep breaking nails into a bamboo floor installation? Using a Rigid nailer from the Depot.

Thanks.

@bmi, its likely because bamboo is ridiculiuosly hard and you should be using staples instead. If you truely are using a cleat nailer, that’s your problem. Switch to a light gauge flooring stapler (I think they are 18ga) and you wont have an issue.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Just saw a video on Instagram showing the Primatech nailer, very sweet looking tool!

<figure class=”oe-video-container”>
    <iframe class=”instagram-media instagram-media-rendered” id=”instagram-embed-0″ src=”https://www.instagram.com/p/BSG5cnGAzY2/embed/captioned/?cr=1&v=7″ allowtransparency=”true” frameborder=”0″ height=”852″ data-instgrm-payload-id=”instagram-media-payload-0″ scrolling=”no” style=”background: rgb(255, 255, 255); border: 1px solid rgb(219, 219, 219); margin: 1px 1px 12px; max-width: 658px; width: calc(100% – 2px); border-radius: 4px; box-shadow: none; display: block; padding: 0px;”></iframe>
    <script async=”” defer=”” src=”//platform.instagram.com/en_US/embeds.js”></script>
    </figure>

That is slick, gets you fairly close to the wall. I know my flooring nailer/stapler would be one course less than that.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.636 seconds