dcsimg

floor registers

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  TopNotch 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So Im doing a kitchen remodel and I opened a wall to make a pass through and of course I have 5 ducts running through that wall.

I knew this, the owner knew this and the designer knew this. Well one side of the room is existing tile the other is #1 oak perpendicular.

Im capping off a few and salavaging a couple. I have 3/4″ gap about 5 3/4″ wide to work with and the ducts are 4×12.

Was thinking of using 5/4 x 8 oak and rabbeting a small lap on each floor to conceal inconsistent edges. Im sure it will due. For the registers the guy want wood and recessed. There isnt that much room to cut, rabbet, notch and router so………really thinking this through.

Has anyone encountered a similar transition?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Clev08
    Pro

Do you have some pictures? I have done some weird transitions but never involving floor registers, although I do want to tear out a wall in the house we just bought that has ducts running through it. So i’ll Be eager to see what you end up doing.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Pictures would help a lot. I have done a few transitions in old houses; they really are all different.

https://www.instagram.com/woodiworkshop/

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I don’t know what you want to see. Remove a 2×4 wall and you see sub floor and several rectangular ducts.

My preference would be to move the register away from the transition to the wood side but I would need to create some damage below to extend the duct.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

Here’s a couple nice ones that Overanalyze did on his current house build,, I liked them. Bad to the bone!

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

The goal is to recess like the video of Andrews but I need to make this work in a slim saddle. Thats the challenge. It is what it is. The owner doesnt quite comprehend and keeps showing me some from the net that come with their own frame. It still needs to be set in the floor or trim

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

The goal is to recess like the video of Andrews but I need to make this work in a slim saddle. Thats the challenge. It is what it is. The owner doesnt quite comprehend and keeps showing me some from the net that come with their own frame. It still needs to be set in the floor or trim

That sounds like it will be really finicky and that the HO does not understand the challenge, likely wants perfection and probably even assumes it will take no time at all ( included in the price), Good Luck.

Will

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

So the owner found a nice square, flat new construction oak register on line. Even jointed for new boards but I dont think I can use it. I diverted my attention elsewhere for the time being.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Well it was a pita and I dont really like it but dont know what else I could have done.

I rabbeted a 1/4 lip over each side of the saddle to conceal the seams. The owner was hoping for flush but…..

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.612 seconds