dcsimg

Floor joist cracked/splt

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I noticed when I was in the basement and looking at the joist there are a couple that are split or cracked. 1 is cracked pretty good. How would I be able to fix this and is this something I need to take action right away?

I also notice in a few areas upstairs when we walk the floor makes noise like it’s loose. Could it be from the joist?

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

How about a couple of photo’s showing the split and the severity of it.

Most likely you can sister another joist along side the one that is split and take care of the problem, but photo’s are always good.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I will take a few photo’s tonight and post them. Thanks for replying. First time homeowner and kinda feel this home will cost me headaches lol.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Photos would help as Kurt mentioned. As long as you have decent access to the joist and there aren’t a bunch of wires or pipes running through them, the fix is likely going to be pretty simple.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Clev08
    Pro

What type of flooring do you have where it squeaks? Often in older homes they have carpet over original hardwoods and the nails In the hardwood or subfloor let loose over time and squeak when you step on the board. If you want to keep the carpet you could just screw down the floor where it squeaks.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Funny that you say this Clev08. We have original hardwood floors in the bedrooms. There is carpet in the hallway and dining room and living room. We want to take the carpet out and hopefully see more hardwood floors underneath. My concern is how bad they look if there is hardwood floors there to decide to leave the floor the way it is or to put new carpet over them.

I had something similar but was left livid when I pulled the carpet and exposed the hardwood underneath. It seems that whomever laid the carpet had decided to nail down the original hardwood floors, to eliminate squeaking, using large head nails. Eventually, the nails loosened and the floors started squeaking again, only now, I was left with hardwood floors that I couldn’t refinish, because the damage caused by the nails was ridiculous. You couldn’t pull them out without leaving gaping holes and gouges.

Never understood why, in this situation, they wouldn’t have put shims between the joists and the flooring to eliminate the squeaking, instead of ruining a perfectly salvageable hardwood floor. Laziness I would hazard to guess……….

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I had something similar but was left livid when I pulled the carpet and exposed the hardwood underneath. It seems that whomever laid the carpet had decided to nail down the original hardwood floors, to eliminate squeaking, using large head nails. Eventually, the nails loosened and the floors started squeaking again, only now, I was left with hardwood floors that I couldn’t refinish, because the damage caused by the nails was ridiculous. You couldn’t pull them out without leaving gaping holes and gouges.

Never understood why, in this situation, they wouldn’t have put shims between the joists and the flooring to eliminate the squeaking, instead of ruining a perfectly salvageable hardwood floor. Laziness I would hazard to guess……….

Most of the time when they cover up the old floors, they are not thinking that they may come back into vogue in a couple decades. they are just taking the easy fix at the time.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I just hope we have hardwood floors and they are not in bad shape. I know I can’t afford to refinish them.

Going back to my original post I do know that the one joist is split pretty good does have wiring running through it. You will see pics of it when I post them.

Clev08
    Pro

My dad an I pulled up the original flooring in his house a little over a year ago. We patched and leveled the subfloor, then screwed it all down. Then we cleaned out all the tongue and grove and renailed the floor down. The new flooring nails are more like spikes and shouldn’t squeak over time like the smooth shank hand drives they used to use. It was a lot of work, but totally worth it.

Attachments:
    hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan
    jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

That looks pretty minor IMHO. What happens when someone walks on it from above? Does it open up? From the pictures, the crack looks superficial.

Jon P.
    Instagram

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

I agree with jponto, that is not that bad to do anything about. I bet it’s been like that from when it was new. I would carry on like nothing happened.

Agree with @jponto07 and @DirtyWhiteBoy, it’s minimal and not likely to cause you any issues moving forward. With your access to the floor joists that open, I would identify your “squeaky” areas and shim between teh joist and the floor board, instead of nailing from the top. You will save your flooring and eliminate the squeaking that way.

Doobie

Here are a few pics.

It’s nothing as others have mentioned. IIRC, a joist member can have a one third hole/compromise and still be fine provided they are not running as cut outs on their edges or within an inch or so of their faces.

Somebody correct me on this if I’m wrong please!

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Here are a few pics.

It’s nothing as others have mentioned. IIRC, a joist member can have a one third hole/compromise and still be fine provided they are not running as cut outs on their edges or within an inch or so of their faces.

Somebody correct me on this if I’m wrong please!

It’s 2 inches from the edge, but otherwise you are correct.

Here’s a summary of the code:

Don’t make any holes with a diameter greater than 1/3 the depth of a joist.

No holes closer than 2 inches to the top or bottom edge.

No holes closer than 2 inches to any other hole or notch.
    No notches in the middle 1/3 of the joist, but holes are permitted here.

No notches deeper than 1/6 the joist depth.

No end notches (where the joist is supported) greater than 1/4 the joist depth.

The length of a notch should not exceed 1/3 the joist depth.

Do not make square or rectangular cutouts. Also avoid square cuts in notches — angled cuts are better, as shown. Square cuts tend to start cracks.

No notches are allowed in the top of a large beam (greater than 4 in. thick), except at the ends.

Jon P.
    Instagram

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Nothing really happens when you walk on it. Thank you everyone for your input on. Sounds like 1 less thing I have to worry about compared to the other issue I’m having.

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

Nothing really happens when you walk on it. Thank you everyone for your input on. Sounds like 1 less thing I have to worry about compared to the other issue I’m having.

grab some photos and post it up, it’ll be interesting to see everyones suggestions.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Photo’s of what? I did post a few photos of the split joist.

keko
    Pro

no need to worry about the joist I think he is talking about the other issue you said you were having.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.501 seconds