dcsimg

Flawed tile work….everybody loves pics.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    KenW
    Pro

Black mold 🙁 Many people just don’t understand how bad that stuff is for you.

Everything that had black mold had to go, hard to kill that stuff. It is very bad for you, I was not prepared to demo that day and was to take carpet out of the bathroom floor (don’t know why anyone would want carpet near water..) and install tile. I found the problem once I removed the carpet, took everything out, unprepared with no respirator or mask. I was sick for a week after that, never again without a respirator. Learned lesson, the hard way

svensshutters
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

That is really a rough lesson to learn. Glad it didn’t affect you worse. BTW, welcome to the site.

Yes, imagine it could be ugly. Esp if your imunine system is down or you have allergies or resp. problems

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

Everything that had black mold had to go, hard to kill that stuff. It is very bad for you, I was not prepared to demo that day and was to take carpet out of the bathroom floor (don’t know why anyone would want carpet near water..) and install tile. I found the problem once I removed the carpet, took everything out, unprepared with no respirator or mask. I was sick for a week after that, never again without a respirator. Learned lesson, the hard way

Mold can be some nasty stuff. When I worked for a restoration company we had a guy get some sort of weird fungal infection in his lungs from mold exposure. He was in the hospital for about 2 weeks on some sort of super antibiotic and wasn’t cleared to return to work for another 3 weeks after he was discharged.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jstare
    Pro
    Langley, BC

Well it is good that you were not majorly hurt. I have heard stories similar to yours and mold can be nasty stuff. Thanks for sharing so that others on here can be aware of how careful we need to be if we run into the stuff.

Too bad they didn’t turn out. Frustrating when you put a lot of work into something and it doesn’t turn out the way you would like.

monman1
    Pro

That is some nasty stuff!

Member since April 4, 2014

doer of all , master of none.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Its always fun to watch the creative genius at work. The results are so predictable.

AndyG
    Pro

It never ends. A guy called me and asked how to fix a job. He spread the grout….I guess then took a break… For a day or two. Ouch.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

It never ends. A guy called me and asked how to fix a job. He spread the grout….I guess then took a break… For a day or two. Ouch.

Sucks to be him.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

Sucks to be him.

Uh yeah… What’s the solution for this idiocy? Demo the whole mess and start over because it would be easier?

One time I had some kind of emergency pop up when I was grouting and had to leave for a couple hours…. That allowed the grout time to set up enough to cut me when I tried to wash it off. It took 10x longer to clean that 30sf area than it should have!

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

AndyG
    Pro

I told him to soak it in vinegar….then take a wide chisel to the lumps then go to work with 120 on a random orbit. Luckily some was stone so he could likely salvage that. It had some resin listellos that will require dental tools to clean . bad deal.

TonyG
    Pro
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’m sure I will have some pictures to post here after I get the wet tile saw and do my first tile job lol.

AndyG
    Pro

Good tile work is mainly prep. Flatness,plumb and level .

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

I got a real laugh out of the pictures. I wonder if they don’t know any better or just don’t care?

Ouch, not enough homework done.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

Sadly, it can be really hard to find good contractors. Had our main bath redone a few years ago when I didn’t have time to do it myself. Looked around, got references, all the stuff you should do. Went with a bath place that was supposed to be higher end. The floor tiles had a subtle but clear directional pattern. The clowns put 2 going the wrong way right inside the doorway. When I saw it and said redo it, the fool said “Don’t worry, your wife will never notice it.” Had to correct a ton of other stuff too, and am still dealing with corners they cut, even though I had been checking on them as often as possible.
    Unfortunately most homeowners don’t know the difference between a good job and crap, so they post good reviews and give references shortly after the work is done when everything is new and shiny, and then wonder what happened when things go to pot after a few months or years. Meanwhile some other unfortunate person has hired the contractor thinking they did a good job elsewhere.

KenW
    Pro

most homeowners don’t know the difference between a good job and crap, so they post good reviews and give references

You sure got that right. They see the brand new product all cleaned up nice and bright. Might as well toss fairy dust over them. And of course, like you said, a length of time after they notice the problems and errors but have already spoken their praises. We used to find that all the time at the cabinet shop.

whitehill
    Pro
    Ottawa, ON

I grew up in a small town, and if you did lousy work you didn’t get much work after a while. Big city, the shoddy operators seem to keep a jump ahead of the bad word of mouth. Social media seems like it should help spread the word, but between customers not knowing the difference between good and bad work, and perhaps a reluctance to speak up critically, the bad apples don’t get identified. I’ve suffered enough bad work by others that I’m undiplomatically blunt when people ask who did work for me.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 171 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.539 seconds