dcsimg

First woodworking project

This topic contains 26 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  hojo04 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)
  • Author

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I made a growth chart (looks like a ruler) for my son (who turns 1 today) for his birthday. It’ didn’t turn out perfect, but I think it wasn’t bad for the first time. Even though its not to my perfection for him it’s something I can say I made with my hands and something down the road he can say my Dad made this for me instead of buying something from the store with no thought into it. I will post pics in a few from my phone.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Some more pics.

What I would do different is make the ruler lines before staining and for painting thengrooved lines I would try and use a paint pen. Overall not bad of a project for someone not use to working with wood.

smallerstick
    Pro
    Listowel, ON

Now that’s what I would call a fine project and a first rate result. He will have that for a very long time and will be looking at it a lot as he grows.
    Congrats, good work!

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. -- Red Green

Awesome first project. Something that can be handed down too.

My You Tube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCA5AretE3xPoVDV61AxUdUA

I don't do a fast job. I don't do a slow job. I do a half fast job.

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

That is great first projects. You will always find ways do project different. I made one of the few years. I just made my shorter. I had start a foot off the floor due baseboard. I also used a sharpie for numbers & measurement marks. I was in abit of rush as this was Christmas gift. Now my 6 year old is out growing it.

Greg

Work Smarter Not Harder

Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

Overall not bad of a project for someone not use to working with wood.

Looks good for a first project. You completed a nice project and learned along the way. You’re skills will only improve.
    BTW….. What brand are your saw horsies ?

Great first project, @hojo04! I like the idea of actually grooving out the lines to add a bit of depth to the details. well done! I still need to finish mine for my daughter, so this is good motivation for me to do just that 🙂

John S

cmeyer25
    Pro
    Bellingham, WA

@hojo04 nice work! It looks like it turned out really well – seeing things you could do to improve just means you learned something 🙂

Charlie

Instagram

theamcguy
    Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

hojo04 I think it came out really nice. Good job for your first project.

Automotive Pro
    Fayetteville, NC

58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Some more pics.

What I would do different is make the ruler lines before staining and for painting thengrooved lines I would try and use a paint pen. Overall not bad of a project for someone not use to working with wood.

Nice first project.

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

r-ice
    Pro
    Durham region, ON

great project, i’ll have to start looking into it once my kid turns one or starts walking.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

Turned out very nice. Any ideas for the next project yet?

Some more pics.

Really great first project!

The more important question is: Are you hooked on woodworking now?

RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Nicely done hojo04.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

hojo04 that a good one!! The first one came out nice and I hope you are inspired to do more projects.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

Congrats hojo. The project turned out very nice. Your first? That’s awesome

"If you're going to do something, do it right the first time"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Instagram
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Palm Springs, CA

Austin
    Pro
    Covington, KY

Nice first project. What happens if he gets taller than 6′ lol

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

When I looked at the first few pictures, I was wondering about this project…but then I saw the final end result, and it’s awesome!

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

Overall not bad of a project for someone not use to working with wood.

Looks good for a first project. You completed a nice project and learned along the way. You’re skills will only improve.
    BTW….. What brand are your saw horsies ?

I borrowed those from my Dad. Foldable saw horses at Menards. I really like and will be getting a couple of them.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 1.404 seconds