dcsimg

Fire pit blocks

This topic contains 21 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Howard hojo04 5 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Howard
    hojo04
    Pro

I am build a fire pit with ring and concrete blocks. Theses angled blocks have a small lip on the bottom in the back about maybe 1/8 of a inch and according to the instructions I have to break off the lips on these. What is the best way of doing if any knows? Attached is a pic of a block I have with eh lip on the back.

Thanks

Attachments:
    Profile photo of Kurt
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

A masons hammer or a wide cold chisel will pop them off easily. If you have a doraty hammer, a wider chisel in hammer mode will make quick work of it.

Profile photo of Howard
    hojo04
    Pro

I have neither. I have a regular hammer. By chance a OMT work if I had a crappy cutting blade I didn’t care about?

Profile photo of Ron
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I have neither. I have a regular hammer. By chance a OMT work if I had a crappy cutting blade I didn’t care about?

No the concrete will eat that blade really fast. You can get a cheap cold chisel that would do the job.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

Member since March 26, 2014.

Profile photo of Howard
    hojo04
    Pro

Alright. I’ will have to go get one today. Which would be better to sue a hammer or rubber mallet on the cold chisel?

Profile photo of Ron
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Hammer

Ron

Profile photo of Howard
    hojo04
    Pro

OK. Thanks @ronw I appreciate it

Alright. I’ will have to go get one today. Which would be better to sue a hammer or rubber mallet on the cold chisel?

Hammer or solid wooden mallet. Rubber will absorb too much of the kinetic energy

Profile photo of Brian
    Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

Plain old hammer, if you can get a steel chisel also
    Both are always pretty useful for many tasks

Profile photo of Howard
    hojo04
    Pro

I started working on it tonight. On one of them I must have hit the sweet spot cause I ended up breaking it. Out of 36 blocks I did 13 tonight and broke 1. Not bad in my opinion.

Profile photo of Ron
    roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

You could also use a diamond blade on a 4 1/2 ” grinder.
    They have wet or dry blades. Cost a bit more but easier.

Profile photo of Ron
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

I started working on it tonight. On one of them I must have hit the sweet spot cause I ended up breaking it. Out of 36 blocks I did 13 tonight and broke 1. Not bad in my opinion.

No not horrible. Keep at it should get easier as you go.

Ron

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

I am build a fire pit with ring and concrete blocks. Theses angled blocks have a small lip on the bottom in the back about maybe 1/8 of a inch and according to the instructions I have to break off the lips on these. What is the best way of doing if any knows? Attached is a pic of a block I have with eh lip on the back.

Thanks

@hojo04,
    Who told you that these were fire pit blocks?

To me they look like typical gardening retaining wall blocks.
    I have to raised gardens made with the exact same block. They will last maybe a couple years in a pit, the heat will break them down over time.

https://www.lowes.ca/articles/landscaping-guide—build-a-retaining-wall_a1986.html

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Profile photo of Howard
    hojo04
    Pro

No not horrible. Keep at it should get easier as you go.

It seemed like it. A couple of them I was taking off the lip in 1 hit. I can’t wait to get this finished so we can start using it.

Profile photo of Kurt
    kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

WE have regular pavers for our fire pit but it has a steel liner to keep the fire away from the block. I would have to agree that the standard retaining wall block will only last a few years as a fire pit without protection, depending on use that is. with little use, they will last a long time.

You are using the wrong type of fire block for your fire pit . Your making more work for yourself braking the block lock off the using fire blocks or bricks .

Always willing to learn .

Profile photo of Howard
    hojo04
    Pro

My pic from a previous post after I read the instructions it says some cutting of the block may be possible for the best fit. It takes 12 blocks per level (need 3 levels). When I put these together to get a fit it would take 11 1/2. Whats the best way to have this block cut to make a good fit? The place I got them from (Menards) I don’t believe have a cutter. I’m not even sure they sell the block in smaller sizes.

Profile photo of Charles
    Sprokitz
    Pro
    Easton, Pa

Good fit to what ? Tight to the fire ring ? If that’s what you mean I would use the full 12 … that should give a bit of air space between the ring and landscape blocks.

Profile photo of Frank
    58Chev
    Pro
    Etobicoke, ON

Use an angle grinder to cut the block in half.

That is one of the main reasons I have a 7″ grinder.
    Buy the cheapest on at your nearest HF

“If you don’t pass on the knowledge you have to others, it Dies with you”
    — Glenn Botting

Profile photo of Ron
    RonW
    Pro
    Holladay, Tn

Good fit to what ? Tight to the fire ring ? If that’s what you mean I would use the full 12 … that should give a bit of air space between the ring and landscape blocks.

I would use the full 12 blocks myself. An air gap would be a good thing. Landscape blocks aren’t really meant to be used as fire bricks.

Ron

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must login or register for the Pro Forum to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.719 seconds