dcsimg

Finishing using sprayers

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

I recently purchased an hvlp sprayer, it is a titan capspray 3100. I mainly wanted it for doors, trim, cabinetry and furniture.

So, I went into sherwin looking for insight on hvlp sprayers, such as pros and cons one to another. The rep was pushing this titan, said one of his good friends builds and finishes cabinets and that this was the gun of choice.

This morning we finished up and bathroom remodel, so this afternoon was a fine time to try out the hvlp on my bathroom vanity that was sanded and prepped for paint.

I was using Sherwins enamel, thinned 10%. Used about half a quart trying to fine tune the thing and still wasn’t greatly impressed.

Needless to say I got FRUSTRATED!

Does anyone on BTP have this gun? I can’t find much help online about it. Sherwin hasn’t been much help, “they can give there manager a call”.

@chadm
    I see that you use hvlp’s quite often. Do you have any pointers for a newbie hvlp user?

I don’t have that gun but a few different hvlp guns. What was your tip size? What size compressor were you using?

Andrew

A Working Pro since 1995!

Member since March 26, 2014.

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

tip size is 1.0 I was using my JC10 running 50-60psi

There is your issue. Latex is thick! I use a 1.8 tip and still need to thin a bit. Next that JC10 won’t be able to put out the cfm required for that gun. They don’t need pressure, they need volume. That gun needs 9 cfm minimum. The JC10 puts out 3.8 @ 40psi.

Andrew

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

@crspecialtiesllc Do you have the whole system or just the gun? If you have just the gun, what size compressor are you using? I checked and that gun is recommended to run at 9 cfm at 15 – 28 psi. If the compressor you were using doesn’t put out the proper airflow it would be impossible to get a decent spray.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

@overanalyze it was an oil base enamal that I thinned 10%.

@chadm
    its just the gun with about 3′ of hose that connects to the pot. I was using a rolair JC10 at 50-60psi. I also have a 4.5 gal dewalt compressor that i could use, but maybe that isn’t big enough either.

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

The dewalt that I have is rated at 5.2scfm @ 90psi. Do I need a bigger compressor? Or should I return the gun and get something with a turbine?

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

The dewalt that I have is rated at 5.2scfm @ 90psi. Do I need a bigger compressor? Or should I return the gun and get something with a turbine?

I would go with the turbine. Like OA said, these guns need volume not pressure. Titan recommends a minimum of 9 cfm at 15 to 28 psi – you aren’t going to find a portable air compressor that will push that kind of volume.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

The oil should spray ok through that tip size. Do you have someone with a bigger compressor you could try before you ditch the gun? What is the cost difference between a bigger compressor and a turbine unit?

Andrew

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

OA the price difference is quite a bit. The gun I bought was about $320 one with a turbine is around $1300.

So if I go out and spend $500 on a compressor, I’m limited to spraying in my garage. Or do I return the gun, (if that’s even possible after using it once) and spend the money on something more portable. hmm

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

@chadm what do you recommend for a turbine unit?

That is kinda what I thought would be the case and you are correct about being limited to the shop.

I haven’t used one myself but Fuji units get really good feedback.

Andrew

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I don’t have a turbine unit but I have used the Graco finish pro and it is a nice unit but will run about $1200. If you are looking for a portable unit have you thought about going with an airless system instead of HVLP?

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

OA, Thanks I’ll look into them.

This is what I get for just going out and buying something without much research.

Lesson learned.

CRSpecialtiesLLC
    Pro
    New Hartford, IA

@chadm I’ve looked at them a little. I went for the hvlp because of the less overspray, use less product. I’ve used two airless in the past, one wagner, and the other was the little graco.

The wagner I used on interior walls spraying latex. The graco I used for poly.

I could be swayed either direction.

RonW
    Holladay, Tn

Whenever I use my HVLP gun I take my 30gal compressor with me.
    When spraying latex I have to thin a little more than the manufactures recommended amount.

Ron

A Working Pro since 1994!

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I would say, send back the HVLP gun and go with the Titan 440 airless. I have 2 of them and could not be more pleased. We keep one set up for Lacquer (no paint ever) to spray wood work and the other we use for paint. They are great sprayers and provide a great finish. no compressor needed!

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I do the majority of my HVLP work at the shop – I take whatever needs finished there and take care of it. For spraying on site I primarily use an airless sprayer – it is a lot more mobile than trying to drag my big compressor around. I do have a cheap electric HO grade HVLP that I use on site some times. I have an older model of this one:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wagner-Flexio-590-HVLP-Paint-Sprayer-Kit-0529010/204102458

It works ok for small stuff, if I just have a couple cabinet doors or drwaer faces to stain I will use it.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

ChadM
    Rogers, Ohio

I bet Jim @bethepro could have some useful insight on this.

Chad

A Working Pro since 1993

Member since 12/07/2013

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I tried to spray enamel through my gravity fed hvlp with less than great results. My Makita MAC2400 can keep up with small projects (my gun is low cfm). I found that my issue was the tip on the gun. I have a 1.0mm and the paint Store recommends a 1.6 or 1.8.

The gun is a Leonardo touch up gun was the the 3M PPG system. It’s great for lacquer, poly and even stain, but paint is too thick for that size orifice.

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Robert Bosch Tool Corporation 2014, all rights reserved.
queries. 0.621 seconds