dcsimg

Finally got the garage organized…

This topic contains 52 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  DirtyWhiteBoy 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Author

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Looks good. Nice work! I wish it was my garage.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Never seen anybody use lateral file cabinets for shop storage. Looks great all around Moze. You’re an organized neat freak like me. 👍

I think they’re perfect for garage storage/organization. The depth and height of the drawers is perfect, they keep everything out of sight but easily accessible, and larger tools/items can be stored on top.

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

Hey Moze, how are you doing? I didn’t think you were around these parts anymore, or I just missed you.

If Bosch see’s this, you might just lose your moderator status and all it’s perks.

Doing good, thanks Mark. Hope you’re good as well. Haven’t been on much this year. Between work and the remodel I haven’t had much spare time.

Resident Sign Guy

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

That epoxy floor really looks good. It seems to be a common thing now in the nicer homes. The thing they are doing with epoxies now a days is amazing.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

CB
    Pro

Never seen anybody use lateral file cabinets for shop storage. Looks great all around Moze. You’re an organized neat freak like me.

I think they’re perfect for garage storage/organization. The depth and height of the drawers is perfect, they keep everything out of sight but easily accessible, and larger tools/items can be stored on top.

Some 16 years ago, I lined the walls of my garage with lateral filing cabinets, harvested from the offices of a defunct hard drive company that imploded in the dot bomb era at the turn of the century.

One problem that I have found with lateral filing drawers is that their structure is designed to carry weight with hanging folders, which hang on the rims, or on bars bridging the rims, supported by the periphery of the drawer. The bottom panel of the drawer is thin metal that was not originally intended to hold dead weight on the floor of the drawer itself.

Paper is quite heavy, and packed paper with no spaces in between is VERY dense and heavier still, so the cabinet structure itself can handle the weight of any tools or hardware thrown at it, apart from a crate of 4 jaw chucks for a 16″ metal lathe. The issue becomes how to place that weight into a cabinet drawer that was not designed to carry the weight on the thin sheet metal floor, but was instead designed to SUSPEND the weight along the tall faces of the perimeter rim of the drawer.

So that is something to consider, if thinking about file cabinets. The kind I have are Herman Miller Meridian… pretty much top of the line commercial office file cabinets that retailed for almost $5,000 per tall cabinet in year 2000, according to receipts I found in one of the drawers. So I don’t think the issue is limited to just “cheap” file cabinets, as one would be hard pressed to find pricier cabinets. I’m sure markup was grossly inflated by the reseller/installer, but still, these are not Walmart specials.

One advantage to the cabinets I got was their modularity. Each drawer has it’s own framework, and these frameworks can be stacked to make any height of cabinet desired… 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and even 8 drawer combinations are all possible, limited only be ceiling height, access to a ladder, and willingness to mitigate seismic risk. The one drawer open at a time interlock hardware is modular as well, and can be expanded or contracted as needed, linking from module to module within a stack.

The top module can be a lift lid, rather than a drawer, so zero clearance to a ceiling can be achieved, or set the height to 6 units high, with the top unit being a lift lid, and thereby eliminate the need for a ladder, while still achieving one more layer of stacked and hidden storage density within the same stack footprint.

All in all, the file drawers are only as neat in appearance as the person who uses them. My garage is still a mess, despite the cabinets. That’s where Moze will always be leaps and bounds ahead of me in the organization dept, even if he was using plastic shelves with paper towel roll legs.

redwood
    Pro

All in all, the file drawers are only as neat in appearance as the person who uses them. My garage is still a mess, despite the cabinets. That’s where Moze will always be leaps and bounds ahead of me in the organization dept, even if he was using plastic shelves with paper towel roll legs.

Isn’t that the truth. Some of us just don’t have extended cleanliness or shop organization in our DNA.

Mark E.

Pioneer, CA

Working Pro 1972 - 2015
    Member since Jan 22, 2013
    www.creative-redwood-designs.com

Doobie
    Pro

One problem that I have found with lateral filing drawers is that their structure is designed to carry weight with hanging folders, which hang on the rims, or on bars bridging the rims, supported by the periphery of the drawer. The bottom panel of the drawer is thin metal that was not originally intended to hold dead weight on the floor of the drawer itself.

Paper is quite heavy, and packed paper with no spaces in between is VERY dense and heavier still, so the cabinet structure itself can handle the weight of any tools or hardware thrown at it, apart from a crate of 4 jaw chucks for a 16″ metal lathe. The issue becomes how to place that weight into a cabinet drawer that was not designed to carry the weight on the thin sheet metal floor, but was instead designed to SUSPEND the weight along the tall faces of the perimeter rim of the drawer.

A sheet of ply on the bottom might solve this issue.

I gotta say though, I have a lateral file cabinet drawer near my bar fridge where I have them filled with stored bottles of Gatorade and Brisk Iced Tea and have never had this problem just stored on the metal bottoms of the drawer themselves.

Can’t recall the brand name, but they are at least 25 years old and I bought two of these 4 drawer lateral file cabinets for $25 each from the liquiditor at a defunct Central Guarantee Trust branch location when they were forced by banking financial regulators in Ontario to be deemed insolvent in the early 90s and were forced into wind-up. They must have been much older as they’d already been re-painted once when I got them from a 1970s beigish color to a light grey and I could tell the grey they were painted happened many years before I bought them.

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

@cb Wow maybe that’s why they went belly up at 5 grand a pop for file cabinets 😮lol

I bought some type of cabinets from the company I’m working for 15 bucks each donate to centraid , they work great.
    But as you mentioned. My garage is still a mess.

@moze dang it that’s one sexy garage , I wish I could have my that organized and clean. I bought epoxy paint four years ago. It’s still in the can 😢
    I have to say very nice work , hat’s off to you in getting things under control. I’m very envious. 👍

CB
    Pro

From merely 4 short years ago….

If I had to pick just one brand though, it would easily be Milwaukee. They’re killing it on new releases, specs, variety of tools, etc.

So Moze, what so thoroughly changed your mind?

Moze
    Dallas, TX

That epoxy floor really looks good. It seems to be a common thing now in the nicer homes. The thing they are doing with epoxies now a days is amazing.

Thanks, hopefully it holds up well.

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

@cb Not sure what brand these are but I’ve got an 80 pound bag of Maximizer in one of the drawers and it’s fine. I’m sure it wasn’t meant to hold that, but it opens fine, doesn’t bow, etc. I’m sure there are different build qualities between brands though.

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

@cb Wow maybe that’s why they went belly up at 5 grand a pop for file cabinets 😮lol

I bought some type of cabinets from the company I’m working for 15 bucks each donate to centraid , they work great.
    But as you mentioned. My garage is still a mess.

@moze dang it that’s one sexy garage , I wish I could have my that organized and clean. I bought epoxy paint four years ago. It’s still in the can 😢
    I have to say very nice work , hat’s off to you in getting things under control. I’m very envious. 👍

Thanks lol. Open that stuff up, it works pretty well!

Resident Sign Guy

Moze
    Dallas, TX

From merely 4 short years ago….

If I had to pick just one brand though, it would easily be Milwaukee. They’re killing it on new releases, specs, variety of tools, etc.

So Moze, what so thoroughly changed your mind?

I’d have to read the context of that post, but 4 years is a long time with power tools. Tons of new developments in that amount of time.

Resident Sign Guy

CB
    Pro

I’d have to read the context of that post, but 4 years is a long time with power tools. Tons of new developments in that amount of time.

If you click on the underscored link in the quote of you where it says “Moze wrote”: it will jump you immediately into the thread and full context where the quote came from. I didn’t quote your entire post because all Moderators know how these forum links work right? 😉

Yet for your convenience, here is your entire quote:

The big three in NA are definitely Milwaukee, Makita and DeWalt.

I love the Bosch tools I have. I also love the Milwaukee and DeWalt tools that I have. If I had to pick just one brand though, it would easily be Milwaukee. They’re killing it on new releases, specs, variety of tools, etc.

I guess the silver lining is that once you have batteries and charger(s), you can usually buy bare tools of whichever brand you prefer for that particular tool.

The photos you shared of your beautifully organized garage in this thread, along with your van in another thread, so completely and thoroughly bedecked in DeWalt… ao much so that you’ve managed to impress (actually, blow away) the most die hard DeWalt fans I’ve ever worked with (yes, I showed them your photos, because really, no one would believe my verbal description, and I am rarely stingy with words)… stand in such stark contrast to your earlier Milwaukee preference quoted above, I had to ask.

The context of my finding your earlier quote had nothing to do with you. I was actually searching for previous experience with Makita lithium ion batteries, longevity, charging issues, and the difference between pre star and post star, post battery meter performance in terms of the shut off chip that Makita previously installed in earlier 3ah batteries. It was in the meandering conversations within that thread that your post popped up.

Naturally, the contrast between then and now raised my curiosity as to your change of mind.

CB
    Pro

I bought epoxy paint four years ago. It’s still in the can.

That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I do. Only in my case, 4 years SQUARED.

roninohio
    Pro
    New Franklin, OH

If I could see my floor I might want to epoxy it.
    We do some garage and basement floors with it and it always looks nice.
    My shop will never look as good as your garage though .

DesertDeuces
    Pro
    Palm Desert, CA

Wow, Moze! I just saw this post and couldn’t wait to comment before reading page 2.

I just have to copy some of your photos for tips on how to reorganize my garage. It’s gotten way too sloppy in the past year.

Your garage looks SHOWCASE! Fabulous! My mind can’t stop coming up with compliments for your work, but suffice to say – KUDOS!

Note: Just thought I’d tell you why my garage got so sloppy: Since the apartments were pretty much in good shape and the vacancies were rare, for nearly a year I did a favor for my doctor friend. She’s an obstetrician and has 3 girls. That means, she needs someone to be at her house 24-7 to watch the 2 little ones. The other is a teen. I stayed at her house every other week (she’s separated from her husband and shares custody). When my week to be at home came up, I kind of vegged out. I now have great-grandchildren, so grandmothering is a big job for me. I’d rather be using my Bosch tools on a project than babysit! But, I love those kids!! 🙂

Pat

GTokley
    Pro
    Madoc, ON

Thanks, hopefully it holds up well.

A factory I worked at had epoxy on the floors where the production lines were. I know they did have them redone. But that didn’t happen very often.

Greg

instagram.com/gregtokley/

Boschmanbrian
    Pro
    Montreal , QC, Canada

I bought epoxy paint four years ago. It’s still in the can.

That is EXACTLY the kind of thing I do. Only in my case, 4 years SQUARED.

LoL , not enough hours in the day for me LoL

I plan on getting more projects taken care of this year.

Moze
    Dallas, TX

If you click on the underscored link in the quote of you where it says “Moze wrote”: it will jump you immediately into the thread and full context where the quote came from. I didn’t quote your entire post because all Moderators know how these forum links work right? 😉

Yet for your convenience, here is your entire quote:

The big three in NA are definitely Milwaukee, Makita and DeWalt.

I love the Bosch tools I have. I also love the Milwaukee and DeWalt tools that I have. If I had to pick just one brand though, it would easily be Milwaukee. They’re killing it on new releases, specs, variety of tools, etc.

I guess the silver lining is that once you have batteries and charger(s), you can usually buy bare tools of whichever brand you prefer for that particular tool.

The photos you shared of your beautifully organized garage in this thread, along with your van in another thread, so completely and thoroughly bedecked in DeWalt… ao much so that you’ve managed to impress (actually, blow away) the most die hard DeWalt fans I’ve ever worked with (yes, I showed them your photos, because really, no one would believe my verbal description, and I am rarely stingy with words)… stand in such stark contrast to your earlier Milwaukee preference quoted above, I had to ask.

The context of my finding your earlier quote had nothing to do with you. I was actually searching for previous experience with Makita lithium ion batteries, longevity, charging issues, and the difference between pre star and post star, post battery meter performance in terms of the shut off chip that Makita previously installed in earlier 3ah batteries. It was in the meandering conversations within that thread that your post popped up.

Naturally, the contrast between then and now raised my curiosity as to your change of mind.

That may have been due to all of the Milwaukee 12v tools coming out at the time, I honestly don’t remember. I know the Flexvolt line changed a lot for me…. I think that was in 2016. That’s what prompted my switch of my 18v tools to almost all DeWalt. The Milwaukee 12v line is still awesome and what I use in my “98% cart”.

Resident Sign Guy

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.819 seconds