dcsimg

Fiberglass columns

This topic contains 21 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  kurt@welkerhomes.com 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I am curious on how others handle installing these.

Columns usually require 75 % bearing area. Typically my columns are never coming anywhere near the capacity….more cosmetic really.

Because these are hollow and tend to be fatter than the beams over them I make a plywood flanges that serves multiple purposes.

I make a plug out of 2×8 or whatever we need then I make a plywood flange the size of actual column and screw it to the plug so it acts as a hat I can lift out. I further add a third layer at least the size of the cap. Stacking plywood spreads the load across the column and the flange allow me to anchor the top all while providing shim space. The lousy part is dressing up the exposed cap. aluminum doesn’t always lay pretty.

How are you boys a doing these?

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

We use more of the Fypon columns that the fiberglass. I have never used the fibergalss.

Dirty

A Working Pro since 1988!

Member since January 26, 2013.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

The columns are HB&G. I saw your mock up columns in the other thread. Were those wrapping around 4×4’s? They looked nice btw

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

We have used them but I believe you can order a cap and base flange separately that will cover that. It is just a ring sized for the column that you put over it while building and secure it in place later and caulk your joints.

hojo04
    Pro
    Burton, Michigan

I never heard of fiberglass columns before.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

We have used them but I believe you can order a cap and base flange separately that will cover that. It is just a ring sized for the column that you put over it while building and secure it in place later and caulk your joints.

I think I have seen those, dont know why they dont offer those as mandatory, finishing the tops ow is a hassle.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

brianpeters
    Pro
    Murray, KY

I’ve never used fiberglass columns, but I have installed aluminum columns and they always came with a base and a cap.

kurt@welkerhomes.com
    Pro
    Owatonna, MN - Minnesota

I think I have seen those, dont know why they dont offer those as mandatory, finishing the tops ow is a hassle.

as with most things they sell the column cheap then get you with the adders that you need to make it work.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I’ve never used fiberglass columns, but I have installed aluminum columns and they always came with a base and a cap.

Same situation Brian, like the aluminum ones. These Hollow caps slide up and down but you need to terminate against something homemade. For proper bearing support and attachment.
    The conversation I’m having here with Kurt is that they also make caps that don’t slide up and down.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

rylim
    Pro
    Missouri City, Texas

HB&G

I see the column is hollow and does it support a heavy load?

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

HB&G

I see the column is hollow and does it support a heavy load?

Yes of course they do. They actually make two different gauges. I think the lightest one from my particular size is 3000 pounds the heavier version for the size I’m using is around 6000 pounds.

And that is part of the conversation that you need to be bearing evenly on the surface to distribute the way over the column

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jkirk
    halifax, nova scotia

we install them from time to time.. our trim supplier sells them..

we pretty much use the same method as you do, as its whats recommended by the manufacturer. my only beef is the trim rings.. they dont always stay in place and theres a 1/4″ gap around the column

heres a tip, dont fart in a space suit

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

The columns are HB&G. I saw your mock up columns in the other thread. Were those wrapping around 4×4’s? They looked nice btw

Those were built up around 4X6 post,, I mocked up a new one today LOL!!! I think it was approved.

Dirty

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

we pretty much use the same method as you do, as its whats recommended by the manufacturer. my only beef is the trim rings.. they dont always stay in place and theres a 1/4″ gap around the column

I always use shims to hold them up off the base and out of the way at the top. They are a pain.

Here is the outcome of mine.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

jponto07
    Bloomington, IN

I always use shims to hold them up off the base and out of the way at the top. They are a pain.

Here is the outcome of mine.

Looks great @topnotch! I can’t say that I would approach it any differently. You could always toenail the shit out of it like some of the guys around here do…

Jon P.
    Timber Carpentry & Construction
    https://www.facebook.com/timbercarpentry/
    Instagram

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

Thanks Jon the caps tend to have a loose fit around the column. I nailed the tops with galvanized finish nails.
    I was considering shooting some spray foam around the gap to really stabilize it. Just hate taping off

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

DirtyWhiteBoy
    Pro
    Honolulu,, Hi.

What about some one part polyurethane to stick it in place with the finish nails??

Dirty

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I’ve got three columns I’ve got to do next year. Didn’t have enough season to get to them this year and I may be asking for some insights as to how to approach some issues once I get to them as I’ve never done columns before.

Two of them are the main supports for a small overhang on my shed that the two 6x6s have twisted since I first installed them. I probably shoulda used cedar instead of PT and secured two faces at where they are secured at the top to prevent that issue.

The third column is to clad the support that’s is the flat roof overhang at the front of our house which is an eyesore. Pic below. I’m still not sure how I’m gonna secure their bodies to the round metal posts. I’ve got a bunch of research to do on how to go about all of this still. I would be looking to use PVC for all of them.

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

TopNotch
    Pro
    elmwood park, NJ

I’ve got three columns I’ve got to do next year. Didn’t have enough season to get to them this year and I may be asking for some insights as to how to approach some issues once I get to them as I’ve never done columns before.

Two of them are the main supports for a small overhang on my shed that the two 6x6s have twisted since I first installed them. I probably shoulda used cedar instead of PT and secured two faces at where they are secured at the top to prevent that issue.

The third column is to clad the support that’s is the flat roof overhang at the front of our house which is an eyesore. Pic below. I’m still not sure how I’m gonna secure their bodies to the round metal posts. I’ve got a bunch of research to do on how to go about all of this still. I would be looking to use PVC for all of them.

I have installed aluminum columns from Superior where you snap pieces together around existing support and install a 2 piece cap and base.
    The cap and base will hold it in place.

Working Pro since 1993

Tom M

Doobie
    Pro
    Ajax, ON

I have installed aluminum columns from Superior where you snap pieces together around existing support and install a 2 piece cap and base.
    The cap and base will hold it in place.

Seen stuff like that but how resilient are they to getting dinged/indented if something bangs into them is what has always concerned me?

Kevin.

Support your local VIKING.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

queries. 0.637 seconds